Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do any members own Jake’s old 3.4 Landspeed record 996?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 08:32 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by nrp3
I doubt either of my daughters will take over my business but would be proud if they did. We need everyone anyone who has the aptitude and will to do this work any of the trades. The ladies can do it. That’s very cool what she can do. You have to be proud.
She makes me very proud.
shes way too smart to run this place. I would never cast that shadow of punishment over her.
When I was a teenager I worked for a guy who knew I wanted my own shop. He warned me and told me not to do it. I didn’t listen, but I should have.
If people are this bad to work with today, I’d only imagine how much worse they’ll be by the time Ava would have the reins.

I have her work with me so we can spend time together, and so she learns personal responsibility through practical application. Also, she gets to experience failure and things blowing up, and there’s no replacement for those lessons.

I don’t want her to be a racer, or engine builder. What I do want is for her to experience things that no other kid will.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 02-02-2022 at 08:34 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
501Max (02-03-2022), barbancourt (02-05-2022), C2-996 (02-03-2022), Flyfishnick (02-03-2022), PASSMORE (02-08-2022), stout (02-04-2022), TexSquirrel (02-02-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2022, 09:04 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

They grow up so quickly.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:10 AM
hkovalcik
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts

Can attest to that- I'm 27- dad's still my best friend to this day. Many memories passing him tools in our garage on his '87 325i e30 (original owner, still has it) at a young age. Almost crushed his skull dropping the trans on my e39 540i when we were prying at it and it finally gave - slipped off the jack we had under it and chipped the garage floor about 2 inches from my father's head. We both laughed about it and he gave me a sip of his beer afterwards - think I was like 17 at the time.

This is part of the reason I really hope EVs don't completely take over (though they very well may). There are relationships, bonds, etc. that are formed over cars and that's really what it's all about.... Thanks for sharing Jake.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 02:44 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by hkovalcik
Can attest to that- I'm 27- dad's still my best friend to this day. Many memories passing him tools in our garage on his '87 325i e30 (original owner, still has it) at a young age. Almost crushed his skull dropping the trans on my e39 540i when we were prying at it and it finally gave - slipped off the jack we had under it and chipped the garage floor about 2 inches from my father's head. We both laughed about it and he gave me a sip of his beer afterwards - think I was like 17 at the time.

This is part of the reason I really hope EVs don't completely take over (though they very well may). There are relationships, bonds, etc. that are formed over cars and that's really what it's all about.... Thanks for sharing Jake.
Ahh the bond between father and child. Formed over the shared experiences plugging in the tesla to the wall outlet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sam-Son:
C2-996 (02-03-2022), hkovalcik (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 12:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

I see this entire EV thing as a fad that seems popular, because on the surface it looks better for the environment. I think this swing to the EV will be met with a swing back to ICE a few years after these EVs are in place. Once the government subsidies, tax breaks, and etc wear off, people will be left with vehicles that are bankrupt when they need batteries.
I like the idea of driving around a golf cart on steroids, but not in mass. I would not mind doing an EV conversion on a couple of my cars, but you won't see me driving one everyday.

What I want to see is what happens when all the cars sitting on the 405 freeway in traffic for 2 hours each day do to the electrical grid when all those people get home, and plug them up. The traffic jams then move from the highway to the electric grid.
Or, how about people caught in traffic in cold weather, having to run the heat for extended durations to stay warm. What happens when their batteries die, and hundreds of cars are all dead at once? Then a diesel tow truck shows up to haul them away, rolling coal while hauling them off to be charged.... The same thing could happen in hot summer, in traffic running AC, especially if someone's batteries are weaker when they hit the traffic stand still.

I'm not electric genius, but my grandfather was over 100 years ago when he build the power plant that provided power to the first complete community in the world to have full electrical power to all houses and businesses. I have thought way ahead of this thing, and have a couple patents in the wings related to it. Ava is very god with electrical circuits, and she builds them using STEM projects all the time. She and I had the idea together, and if granted both our names will be listed on the "Inventor" line.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:39 PM
hkovalcik
Racer

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I see this entire EV thing as a fad that seems popular, because on the surface it looks better for the environment. I think this swing to the EV will be met with a swing back to ICE a few years after these EVs are in place. Once the government subsidies, tax breaks, and etc wear off, people will be left with vehicles that are bankrupt when they need batteries.
I like the idea of driving around a golf cart on steroids, but not in mass. I would not mind doing an EV conversion on a couple of my cars, but you won't see me driving one everyday.

What I want to see is what happens when all the cars sitting on the 405 freeway in traffic for 2 hours each day do to the electrical grid when all those people get home, and plug them up. The traffic jams then move from the highway to the electric grid.
Or, how about people caught in traffic in cold weather, having to run the heat for extended durations to stay warm. What happens when their batteries die, and hundreds of cars are all dead at once? Then a diesel tow truck shows up to haul them away, rolling coal while hauling them off to be charged.... The same thing could happen in hot summer, in traffic running AC, especially if someone's batteries are weaker when they hit the traffic stand still.

I'm not electric genius, but my grandfather was over 100 years ago when he build the power plant that provided power to the first complete community in the world to have full electrical power to all houses and businesses. I have thought way ahead of this thing, and have a couple patents in the wings related to it. Ava is very god with electrical circuits, and she builds them using STEM projects all the time. She and I had the idea together, and if granted both our names will be listed on the "Inventor" line.
And what's interesting is that the marketing is completely off for these things (at least for the Tesla IMO). I'm not sure if you've driven a Tesla, but honestly, they are pretty sweet. But to your point, they're marketing them as being good, environmentally friendly cars for people to buy and help the environment (from what, I ask... Seriously, lol - the harmful emissions!!!). The truth is, they're f*cking sweet cars that are pretty interesting to learn about. They are nowhere near as fun as something fuel injected and makes noise though....

I do believe oil is finite (very big picture....). I could be wrong on that. I also don't want gas prices to get out of hand because they want to make a push to EV and basically force everyone to go that route. I hope gas is not considered a luxury in the future, but I doubt that will happen.

It's just wild to think about. I mean CA just passed something where - I think - in 5 years they will no longer sell any new gas-powered cars in the entire state of CA. I personally think that's a tree-hugger PR move and can obviously be changed in the future, but still....

Old 02-04-2022, 04:50 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Look up Porsche Biofuel.

Long after petroleum has been banned, we will have biofuel. Porsche wants to make sure of it, to the point that they will be supplying engines to Red Bull in F1, but is demanding the use of biofuel. It's already a reality in the Porsche cup series. Soon to be a reality with IMSA and WEC. It's the intermediate term future in addressing all of the used ICE powered cars on this planet. Long-term, I have no clue.

Biofuel for ICE, biofuel for hybrids.

​​​​Electric for golf carts, vacuum cleaners and hair dryers.

Imagine a technical article on Tesla's electric motor versus Porsche's. I can't think of anything more uninteresting.

Last edited by GC996; 02-04-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Type65 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 04:57 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,833 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Look up Porsche Biofuel.

Long after petroleum has been banned, we will have biofuel. Porsche wants to make sure of it, to the point that they will be supplying engines to Red Bull in F1, but is demanding the use of biofuel. It's already a reality in the Porsche cup series. Soon to be a reality with IMSA and WEC. It's the intermediate term future in addressing all of the used ICE powered cars on this planet. Long-term, I have no clue.

Biofuel for ICE, biofuel for hybrids.

​​​​Electric for golf carts, vacuum cleaners and hair dryers.

Imagine a technical article on Tesla's electric motor versus Porsche's. I can't think of anything more uninteresting.
I'm definitely curious in this and have been following. My biggest question is how will this trickle down to regular guy like you and I and what distribution will look like. That said, with Jakes predictions none of this will matter because engines will wear out, there will be no more parts available and a proper rebuild will be hard to come by if not impossible.

Last edited by plpete84; 02-04-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:28 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
I'm definitely curious in this and have been following. My biggest question is how will this trickle down to regular guy like you and I and what distribution will look like. That said, with Jakes predictions none of this will matter because engines will wear out, there will be no more parts available and a proper rebuild will be hard to come buy if not impossible.
Pete,

From a biofuel standpoint it goes like this. F1, IMSA, WEC, etc. All adopt it because it's the politically correct thing to do. When they adopt it, it will force all of the petroleum providers who are partners with each of the race teams to provide biofuel as well. It moves from being race fuel to eventually being mass produced and adopted mass scale by the political class because it's politically correct forcing the sale of it thru regulatory changes and even tax breaks for consumers to adopt it and energy companies to manufacture it. Petroleum isn't going away, it's just dying a slow death over the next few decades because biofuel will be more expensive at first than gasoline.

Wait till the greenies find out about biofuel. They don't know about it yet, nor understand it. Most folks don't. But they will...

Regarding the availability of car parts, it's a short-term bottle neck that will end slowly, but will end over the next 2 years. The developed world embraced manufacturing efficiency and profitability with "Just-In-Time" manufacturing and inventory management. The problem is that the egg heads who developed the methodology never factored in a pandemic of which the world's politicians would panic to the point of shutting down the entire global economy. This wreaked havoc with the entire supply chain of which it's still trying to get back online. The fiscal stimulus checks added fuel to the fire by increasing demand. Go figure. It will eventually end, aided quite a bit with a global recession in the next 1.5 to 3 years due to high inflation and monetary tightening.

I know, it looks dire right now with the supply chain. But the logjam will end. Seems that businesses are being cautious not to over produce in relation to demand. Right now, big business is very profitable. This will end, and they will be looking for new sources for revenue growth and will expand production. Case in point, watch Bosch, once revenue growth and profits begin to slow, they will revisit areas of their business that they have forgotten. If they don't, the activist investment community will get involved and beat them over the head to find ways to generate more revenue and earnings.

Just the way the world works.
The following 4 users liked this post by GC996:
plpete84 (02-04-2022), Porschetech3 (02-04-2022), wildbilly32 (02-05-2022), ZuffenZeus (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 09:30 PM
C2-996
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for sharing GC, car and driver I see has a little write up regarding the Porsche biofuel research
GC996 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 10:53 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by hkovalcik
…they're marketing them as being good, environmentally friendly cars for people to buy and help the environment (from what, I ask... Seriously, lol - the harmful emissions!!!).
Here’s where the power for the Tesla’s in my neighborhood comes from:

The nations second largest conventional (coal/Natural Gas) powered power plant about 5-10 miles from my home.

The following 3 users liked this post by TexSquirrel:
C2-996 (02-06-2022), GC996 (02-05-2022), TheChunkNorris (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 08:50 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Tex, that picture says it all.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:28 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 972 Posts

Man the fumes must be toxic I hope they monitor the air quality
Old 02-05-2022, 11:21 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,180 Posts

People conveniently overlook that electric cars are not really "zero emissions". In reality they move the emissions to a different place, with varying amounts of total system efficiency. There are pluses and minuses of every solution and this one is not exempt from that.
The following 3 users liked this post by theprf:
C2-996 (02-06-2022), hkovalcik (02-07-2022), wildbilly32 (02-06-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 12:39 PM
hkovalcik
Racer

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Here’s where the power for the Tesla’s in my neighborhood comes from:

The nations second largest conventional (coal/Natural Gas) powered power plant about 5-10 miles from my home.
Yeah exactly... case in point... harmful emissions in one way or another...

Quick Reply: Do any members own Jake’s old 3.4 Landspeed record 996?