Sponsored by:

Ferrous Metal in Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 04:58 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
If it were me, I would open a ticket at Flat6Innovations and ask all your questions there.
Even if you don't ultimately have them rebuild your engine, you can pay for consulting, which is probably worth more than it's weight in gold!
The paid consulting is something that they offer that more people should take advantage of, IMHO!
Asking here for free is a good first step, but the next best step is to pay for their expertise.
Good idea. I'll most likely do that.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:05 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Again..
Pull the sump plate, document what you find in the floor of the sump. This is THE FIRST step to diagnosing any internal issue with these engines. The sump plate is a window to the soul of the engine.
You need a 10mm socket, ratchet and a large screwdriver or pry bar to remove it. This will take you less than 30 minutes, even if you are slow. My 9 year old daughter pulled one last week in 11 minutes by herself, but she's done it before.
What are your daughter's rates?

I'm going to pull the pan but it probably won't be until the weekend. I was already thinking I wanted to do that sometime in the next year anyway. I need to get the old oil out of my drain pan to make room for the new and buy the goop to re-seal the pan. Might as well clean it too while it's off.

I may open a ticket.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:26 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by ssherman68
What are your daughter's rates?

I'm going to pull the pan but it probably won't be until the weekend. I was already thinking I wanted to do that sometime in the next year anyway. I need to get the old oil out of my drain pan to make room for the new and buy the goop to re-seal the pan. Might as well clean it too while it's off.

I may open a ticket.
Ava charges more than I do, but she does crawl around under 911s easier than I do.

Post some pics of what you find here.. No need to set up a ticket at this point, I'll try to stay tuned to the thread. The tickets have been bombarding me for the past 3 weeks, anyway..
The following users liked this post:
MajicB (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 05:30 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll wait for the UOA, pull the pan this weekend and take more pictures & probably open a ticket with FSI for advice. At 45K miles, LN IMSB installed by the previous owner and 4 oil filter inspections showing absolutely no flakes a teardown or rebuild wasn't something I was expecting at this point. Especially not one year in. Sounds like the best case scenario is the replacement IMSB failed but I doubt it. Next would be cam lobes. I saw that in another thread. Jake thinks it might be the crankshaft and he knows his stuff. I hope it's not that because that's basically a full rebuild.

It'll be interesting to see what I find in the pan. I think anything in there would be relatively heavy. I put cheese cloth over the drain pan when I'm draining the oil and there was nothing on it. So I know nothing big came out of the pan.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll wait for the UOA, pull the pan this weekend and take more pictures & probably open a ticket with FSI for advice. At 45K miles, LN IMSB installed by the previous owner and 4 oil filter inspections showing absolutely no flakes a teardown or rebuild wasn't something I was expecting at this point. Especially not one year in. Sounds like the best case scenario is the replacement IMSB failed but I doubt it. Next would be cam lobes. I saw that in another thread. Jake thinks it might be the crankshaft and he knows his stuff. I hope it's not that because that's basically a full rebuild.

It'll be interesting to see what I find in the pan. I think anything in there would be relatively heavy. I put cheese cloth over the drain pan when I'm draining the oil and there was nothing on it. So I know nothing big came out of the pan.
Do not start it again!
Old 05-25-2021, 06:43 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The cheese cloth trick is a good one.. That one is old school, where did you learn it?
Old 05-25-2021, 08:11 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The cheese cloth trick is a good one.. That one is old school, where did you learn it?
I learned it by realizing a coffee filter was way too restrictive and having 10 year old cheese cloth in my kitchen that I'd use for cooking exactly once!
Old 05-27-2021, 09:32 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Oil pan is spotless. So that's a good sign. I couldn't find a single speck of metal or even plastic from the variocam adjusters.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:34 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Mine was the same. I then opened the swirl pots (block canisters seen in pic). I believe it was Jake that suggested these are the “window into the sole of the heads”. Easy to pop open.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:15 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Originally Posted by JTT
Mine was the same. I then opened the swirl pots (block canisters seen in pic). I believe it was Jake that suggested these are the “window into the sole of the heads”. Easy to pop open.
Hmmm. OK. Just remove the bolt that's holding it on?
Old 05-28-2021, 12:23 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Hmmm. OK. Just remove the bolt that's holding it on?
As I remember, yes. Once in hand you will see it turns a 1/8 turn to unlock and open. My limited understanding is that the oil being recirculated back to sump from heads via scavenge pumps goes into these chambers to settle slightly and minimize foaming, before being dumped back into sump. Theory is any fragments will settle to bottom of these little pots.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Note:
once these swirl pots are disassembled they can’t just be clipped back together. You must drill a hole at the point where they fit together, and either rivet, or safety wire them tightly together.
if these separate, you will ha e an instant failure on the track, and it’ll take longer on the street.

I lost a test engine in 2008 when one of these separated. It lasted 1/2 lap at Road Atlanta with the swirl pot separated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
Ratchet1025 (06-06-2021), zbomb (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 01:57 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 186 Posts

Can u get a borescope in the swirl pots? Disassemble sounds dangerous 😎
Old 05-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
No.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:30 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
Good idea. I have a scope and can give it a shot. I can even play with scoping the cylinders while I'm laying there.

The focal length on the scope might not be short enough to see metal flakes in the swirl pots that close up but I can try.

Quick Reply: Ferrous Metal in Oil Filter