996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Search is over - 996 40th Jahre!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 03:25 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 938 Likes on 566 Posts

The interior of your car is very sharp. You've found a really great balance between silver and black judging by the framing of your video. Loving the new shifter as well - cheers man!
Old 09-08-2021, 10:49 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
The interior of your car is very sharp. You've found a really great balance between silver and black judging by the framing of your video. Loving the new shifter as well - cheers man!
Thanks Doc! It's all in the details. To keep the theme going, I may look into covering the yellow 12 o'clock marker on the Momo wheel with gray/silver leather and fill in the yellow logo. Need to also get a Porsche crest horn button. When there's nothing else left to do, which may be never (hah) I think gray/silver seat belts might look cool. TBD.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:46 AM
plpete84
Drifting

This past Friday, Oct. 15th marked my first year with the car. 1 year = 13k miles driven and currently sitting a few miles shy of 90k. During that time via a combination of elective and required work I sunk about $11k into the car. Yup that sounds like a lot but given the purchase price and the current market I'm sitting at right about the current value, I think The number is definitely inflated by things like Ohlins and wheels which would definitely knock that number down by several grand but I wanted to do the car right. Also, DIYing vast majority of things saved me quite a bit of coin.

The interior is just about finished, I think... Still need a Porsche crest horn button because details.... so I guess I'm not finished!

Car is pretty much dialed in at this point. Below are some updated photos. I'm still deciding what I want to do for the front lip, which has seen better days. I think I may end up paint matching it to the car color...

Next up is just an oil change and another UOA. Trying something different after speaking with some folks so I'll update on that once I have some results. Car is still a total blast to drive. I guess this is explained by 13k miles driven. It's been my only car with no issues and first car I find myself jumping into and drive for the sake of driving. Next up is track time! Looking forward to seeing the finished product from Skip re oil starvation to add that on. I think I'll also do the water pump and low temp thermostat soonish too. Thought about adding a center radiator too but may hold off for now to see what on-track temps will look like. The 40AE cars came with turbo radiators and bumpers so curious to see what temps will look like with just that.

The following 4 users liked this post by plpete84:
GC996 (10-18-2021), golock911 (11-26-2021), Porschetech3 (03-07-2022), TheChunkNorris (11-23-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 12:50 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,458 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Let me know when u decided in your track events. So far i have not picked any weekends for next year.
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:09 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Let me know when u decided in your track events. So far i have not picked any weekends for next year.
I'll most likely start out at Summit Point as that's a fairly close to me for my first time. I'll let you know what I have a date narrowed down. I think I can also get to the track in NJ at some point.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:04 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,458 Likes on 1,820 Posts

At njmp lightning today.

The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
plpete84 (10-18-2021), TheChunkNorris (11-23-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:31 PM
plpete84
Drifting

90k miles and another oil/filter change + UOA

The silicon value had me going yikes, but the below comment makes sense. I did remove the sump cover during that oil change and installed a X51 baffle which had rubber/silicon pieces attached to sharp edges. I responded to Lake and he confirmed that's definitely the reason for the spike. Has there been something bad happening with the bores we would also see elevated Iron and Aluminium values, which we did not. They actually dropped by half, which is a good thing. Total metals and wear has dropped too. Also, happy to see the fuel dilution drop since replacing the injectors. Onto another 5k miles...
The following 3 users liked this post by plpete84:
GC996 (10-27-2021), golock911 (11-11-2021), Porschetech3 (03-07-2022)
Old 11-11-2021, 02:57 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Got my hands of a free drone from work via a rewards system they have and had some fun on the top of a parking garage. Ended up with a quick video...hope y'all like it!

The following 3 users liked this post by plpete84:
85eurocarrera (11-11-2021), GC996 (11-22-2021), zbomb (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 11:09 AM
plpete84
Drifting

I think I might have figured out why my oil pressure has been on the lower side, especially while under load. It seems like the pressure itself was probably fine but the URO oil pressure sensor crapped out after about 9 months of service time. It showed proper pressure of 5 bar at cold start and ok pressure at idle once oil was hot, although it would sometimes dip to .9 - 1bar at idle, but under load and high rpm I struggled to see anything above 3.5bar. Ordered a new Porsche unit from FCP (lifetime warranty), quickly installed it and went for a spin. No more bouncing arrow and 4.5ish bar pressure at anything over 3k rpm. Lets see how long the Porsche one lasts, but at least with the lifetime warranty I never have to pay for it again! Still burning that oil though! :|
The following 2 users liked this post by plpete84:
GC996 (11-22-2021), TheChunkNorris (11-23-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 11:30 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,882 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
I think I might have figured out why my oil pressure has been on the lower side, especially while under load. It seems like the pressure itself was probably fine but the URO oil pressure sensor crapped out after about 9 months of service time. It showed proper pressure of 5 bar at cold start and ok pressure at idle once oil was hot, although it would sometimes dip to .9 - 1bar at idle, but under load and high rpm I struggled to see anything above 3.5bar. Ordered a new Porsche unit from FCP (lifetime warranty), quickly installed it and went for a spin. No more bouncing arrow and 4.5ish bar pressure at anything over 3k rpm. Lets see how long the Porsche one lasts, but at least with the lifetime warranty I never have to pay for it again! Still burning that oil though! :|
Pete, good to hear.
plpete84 (11-22-2021)
Old 02-13-2022, 08:26 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Sneaked in a quick rinse-less wash on one of the warmer days.....right before weather got crappy again. But she cleans up well.

Slowly getting ready to purchase a few maintenance things to be installed once temps get a bit warmer. On the docket are:

Water pump (composite impeller)
Low-temp thermostat
Oil + Filter change
New front lip to be color matched to GT Silver and installed.
New brake pads will be needed soon. Will examine rotors to see if they need replacement too. Hoping to find a decent street pad that doesn't dust so damn much but also has good feel for daily and spirited driving. I think some folks use Akebono ones? Open to suggestions.

Besides I'd like to remove all plastic undertrays to examine all lines that run back to front and clean everything up

I have some small seepage coming from one side of the sump cover. Hoping I can delay fixing that to when the UIDS comes out so I can do that with an oil change all in one shot.

While on a bike ride, I ran into 2 guys with clean 964s that I happen to recognize from instagram and the cooled collective. Looking forward to going on some fun mountain runs with them come spring.

zbomb (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 08:11 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

GREAT shot of the 964's ! Those guys are doing it right, great looking cars.

Your car looking fire as well.
plpete84 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 03:42 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by zbomb
GREAT shot of the 964's ! Those guys are doing it right, great looking cars.

Your car looking fire as well.
Thanks guy! I like what's cooking up in your garage too. If I find myself going up north again we need to shoot some proper photos of that thing!
Old 03-07-2022, 06:58 PM
plpete84
Drifting

I had this idea I was kicking around to create a better phone mount then what the Rennline unit provided. It works great but I find the phone sitting too low which causes me to take my eyes off the road when I need to glance at the navigation etc a bit more than I'd like. Also, anytime someone rides with me the phone gets knocked off. I'm loving the 3d printed idea another member is putting together but I wanted to un-obstruct the hazard button and have the phone somewhat centered over the vents in horizontal position. Reusing the magnet from the rennline unit I came up with this little contraption that I think will work great. Some backyard engineering and here it is:

I used some double sided gorilla tape on the TOP of the bracket. That way it attaches to the top of the cluster surrounding. There is just plastic there so no problem and good adhesion.

Used a steel L bracket with a hole to mount the magnet.

Since the bottom rests on the leather dash I applied some soft carpet like velcro to not scratch the leather on the dash.

Super easy and centers the phone nicely over the vents. Depth wise, the phone rests on the top of the vent for some added security in addition to the fairly strong magnet.
The following 2 users liked this post by plpete84:
EVOMMM (03-08-2022), SleepyCyclist (03-07-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 01:00 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Parts are slowly starting to pile up so soon I'll be looking to get a few things done. I have a new front lip that's prepped to be color matched to the car's GT Silver. Have been looking forward to getting this done.

Got the new water pump and low-temp thermostat recently. The one from FCP came pre-installed in a new flange for less than LN.

Working on my friend's C4S recently installing a new exhaust I realized how much rust there is on the exhaust. I picked up a new product I learned about to see how it does with treating the surface rust all over the cats and piping. The results were surprisingly good for not that much effort! Here are some before and after photos:

Pretty stoked with the end results. Will need to do some more testing on other metals. Once the bumper was back on it was time for a proper bath before the weekend

UIDS is ordered too! Should be in right in time for the oil change with some FR50 5w-50.
Porschetech3 (03-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Search is over - 996 40th Jahre!