996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Search is over - 996 40th Jahre!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 01:53 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,174 Posts

With the plugs out you could run a leakdown test. That would help pinpoint where the oil is coming from. I'd suspect worn rings based on what your pictures show.
The following 2 users liked this post by theprf:
plpete84 (08-08-2022), wdb (08-10-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 02:02 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
With the plugs out you could run a leakdown test. That would help pinpoint where the oil is coming from. I'd suspect worn rings based on what your pictures show.
Thanks, I did think of that but didn't have the right tool or compressor for it. Might ask the shop to do it. When I did a compression check some time ago, all numbers came back pretty even with exception of cylinders 3 and 6 but well within range. Very little difference. Assuming it's rings, a rebuild is the only way to address it. What are the repercussions of running with worn rings, assuming proper oil level is maintained. I've had someone also suggest valve seals... I'm having a hard time thinking it's rings as I don't have any blue smoke at all. Occasional puff of white that goes away quickly but nothing more than that. Over last 2 weeks, zero smoke on start up from cold after sitting for 2-3 days...

Last edited by plpete84; 08-09-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:10 PM
Falcon911
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
My track time has had to be pushed back, unfortunately, but UIDS has not caused any issues for about 800ish miles so far. Seeing great oil pressure overall. 3 bar at 2.5k rpm; 3.4 bar at 3k rpm; 4.5 bar 4k rpm till red line. Have not noticed any dips on tight back road switchbacks I like to frequent where you're able to push the pace a bit. So far so good!
Were you seeing dips in oil pressure before the UIDS?

Old 08-09-2022, 10:39 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by Falcon911
Were you seeing dips in oil pressure before the UIDS?
I did not the track previously and I did not push it hard enough on public roads to experience any. On some backroads with tight S turns, I might have seen something but nothing major. What I did notice is that now, the car achieves better oil pressure and does so with much less effort. Nothing else has changed besides UIDS. Previously I would get a max of 3.8 to 4 bar at 5k rpm. Now I'm at 4.5bar by 4k rpm and it seems to get there with much less effort. When installing UIDS I did inspect the oil pick up neck and it was clean!
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 07:08 PM
Falcon911
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I did not the track previously and I did not push it hard enough on public roads to experience any. On some backroads with tight S turns, I might have seen something but nothing major. What I did notice is that now, the car achieves better oil pressure and does so with much less effort. Nothing else has changed besides UIDS. Previously I would get a max of 3.8 to 4 bar at 5k rpm. Now I'm at 4.5bar by 4k rpm and it seems to get there with much less effort. When installing UIDS I did inspect the oil pick up neck and it was clean!
Good to hear you see a higher max oil pressure with the UIDS as this point has been in question elsewhere.

plpete84, your car looks great and I have enjoyed this thread. You have a talent for documenting, in this thread and others such as the UAOS install thread, and I think you and Justin76 are competing for best photographer.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:12 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by Falcon911
Good to hear you see a higher max oil pressure with the UIDS as this point has been in question elsewhere.

plpete84, your car looks great and I have enjoyed this thread. You have a talent for documenting, in this thread and others such as the UAOS install thread, and I think you and Justin76 are competing for best photographer.
Thanks! Appreciate the kind words. Justin and a few others have very nicely put together cars and build threads. It's nice to see the progression with solid photos and details.

When I was a young whippersnapper I completed a full engine swap on my CB7 Accord with a JDM Prelude engine I purchased from an importer. The biggest job prior to that was brakes. Probably the only reason why I felt on somewhat comfortable taking this on was the fact that someone on the CB7 forum did a great job documenting the process of removing a motor from that car. The UAOS install guide and anything else I can provide that's of value is a way of just paying it forward
Old 08-10-2022, 03:55 PM
merlot
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 66 Posts

Small big update. Had a pleasure of experiencing one of the joys of owning a 996, aka my first big bill

Old IMS bearing out. The car had the EPS bearing installed. No leaks at all.

The EPS IMS was in the car for 10 years and looked perfect when it came out. Spun buttery smooth and didn't leak at all and got no grooves anywhere. The mechanic and I were pretty impressed. It technically could have been left in place but since we already had the LN one in the shop we put that in. It's a cylindrical bearing with thrust control, per EPS. Take that for what it's worth, the bearing looked impressive after 10 years and almost 60k miles. Below are some close up photos:

I feel like this needs more exposure. Many people criticized the EPS bearing because of it's design and that it's inventor/builder didn't provide enough details on this forum. Mine has a little over 10K miles on it, and I plan to reuse it for my rebuild.
plpete84 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 04:59 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by merlot
I feel like this needs more exposure. Many people criticized the EPS bearing because of it's design and that it's inventor/builder didn't provide enough details on this forum. Mine has a little over 10K miles on it, and I plan to reuse it for my rebuild.
Not looking to change anyone's mind as that's a hard thing to do once it's made up. I just found it as an interesting and a valuable data point that's rarely seen and posted. Lot's of talk and discussion but few photos. Just imagine, if every person that replaced their IMS bearing provided some detailed photos of the outgoing bearing and their oil change interval history - we'd have some real compelling real world evidence. At the end of the day, I'm a firm believer that you can have multiple solutions to a problem but the solution doesn't end with the product. The owner needs to do their part. Not treating your car like an investment piece and thinking it will melt in the rain goes a long way. Actually, saw an interesting video of a Camry, which is dubbed as the dependable car, with bore scoring and destroyed rings. Guess what, the owner followed the manual service recommendation for 10k mile oil changes religiously...
merlot (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:45 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,883 Likes on 2,215 Posts

One of these days I'll get my act together and start a thread. I have every service record since the beginning of time but unfortunately no pictures of parts and service being done with the exception of the last 2 years.

In the meantime, I will enjoy your posts!
plpete84 (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:36 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by GC996
One of these days I'll get my act together and start a thread. I have every service record since the beginning of time but unfortunately no pictures of parts and service being done with the exception of the last 2 years.

In the meantime, I will enjoy your posts!
You definitely should! You're in a unique position having owned your car for so long. It's been used as a car and on the track which I think would provide even more value around what you've done. I tried to make it a habit of snapping photos with my phone of most things when working on the car, no matter how insignificant it might seem. More than a few times it has saved my butt.
GC996 (08-11-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 12:01 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Had me some solid driving therapy and a road trip this past weekend! Total of 725 miles over 3 days. DC to Charlottesville and back. I drove the entire Skyline Drive and part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Loved every mile, turn and shift of it. Save for the oil consumption the car ran like a peach and felt very good at and above 4k rpms.

I took Friday off from work and headed for the Skyline Drive. It's only about 65 miles from DC. I've done a portion of the drive on my bike, about 35 miles out and 35 back but always wondered what lurks further out. The entire thing is 105 miles long and then transitions to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Weather was perfect and it was a bit cooler up there - about 3800ft at the highest point. There is no such thing as weather in the mountains so I did hit a small storm. Such an amazing drive and highly recommend it for anyone in the DMV area. The reason for the trip to Charlottesville was to attend the VA Festival of the Wheel. Day 1 was a Hagerty's C&C while Day 2 included a concourse show with a special guest. If you attended the C&C you got a free entry to the concourse event, which was a great deal!

There was a pretty good fired egg turnout and met some nice folks. It was cool to see 3 grays next to one another and watch folks scratch their heads wondering why my Turbo is a narrow body and is missing the side air scoops hah! Happens more often than you'd think.

Please name a better 2 car solution. I rest my case.

This 964 was so tastefully done. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

After the C&C I went out to explore some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Drove about 100 miles total of it. It's actually free, unlike the Skyline Drive (just buy the annual pass if you plan to go at least twice a year). Very nice roads but watch out for the authorities. Quite a few drivers provided the friendly high beam warning which was helpful! VA Troopers are not known for being reasonable or lenient. I do not have any data logging equipment, however, I did push the car quite hard in the turns. Some were quite sharp and keeping you in the turn for a few seconds at speeds of 40mph and up. With the revs at about 4-5k rpm my oil pressure reading was pegged at 4.5bar with the UIDS.

I'm not a huge concourse type of guy but it was fun to see some quite rare cars ranging from an 18HP Ford from early 1900s to a bunch of modern Ferraris with the cherry on the top being the F40. The owner is actually fairly local to me and I met him the week before and that's how I found out about this event. This legend of a man drove his F40 from the DC area to Charlottesville and back. This is not a garage and trailer queen. It's his first Ferrari. He purchased it new in 1992. It was just sitting in the showroom and wasn't moving! He spec'd it with factory buckets and has tracked it at Summit Point and few other tracks racking up a total of around 29k miles to date. Seeing this thing on the road with its straight piped Tubi exhaust was a sight and sound to behold! He was smoking a cigar at 7am and it's his wife's favorite car. The man is living the dream!

Hurley Haywood was the guest of honor. He won 24hrs of LeMans 3 times - 1977 (in 936), 1983 (in 956), and 1994 (Dauer 962). Sadly he never won it in a GT1 with the greatest headlights of them all so I didn't listen to a word he said. Kidding!

Before heading back home, I had an opportunity to link up with one of my "Instagram car friends" and now a real life friend. They own a 996 cab but brought out their new Spyder. Beautiful machine with quite the presence. Look forward to driving it in near future.

After late lunch I hit the road home via Skyline Drive again driving the 105 miles in reverse. After finishing that, I took the longer route home via Point of Rocks and MD country side. Added about an hour to my driving time but sitting in potential traffic on I-66 was not an option after so much great driving.

The next morning I saw nature and my bumper grilles at work. Caught a huge dragonfly which served as breakfast food for a wasp which really went to town on it!

If you haven't done a longer roundtrip in your 996, ideally avoiding highways, you're missing out! More to come soon!
The following 6 users liked this post by plpete84:
Dr_Strangelove (08-31-2022), GC996 (09-05-2022), golock911 (08-31-2022), Porschetech3 (09-05-2022), TexSquirrel (08-31-2022), TheChunkNorris (09-03-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-03-2022, 10:51 AM
GTSchport
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 30 Posts

What a nice thread chronicling the journey of this car and your latest post @plpete84 looks like great trip!
The following 2 users liked this post by GTSchport:
plpete84 (09-03-2022), TheChunkNorris (09-03-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 02:40 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Anyone selling a 996 AE? PM me!
Porschetech3 (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 02:46 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,134 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
There's a dude on IG that is. I'll try to find his info and DM you.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:41 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTSchport
What a nice thread chronicling the journey of this car and your latest post @plpete84 looks like great trip!
Thanks brother

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Just keep your eyes pealed to here - https://www.40jahre911.com/40-jahre-911-listed-for-sale . Ted does an amazing job keeping the registry up to date and the for sale list. I've seen some models pop up here and there. Low mile examples are fetching around $50k ish asking price.

Maybe get one and put your new engine in it! I secretly, for nothing more than vanity reasons, want a 4.0L motor in my 40th AE
The following 2 users liked this post by plpete84:
GC996 (09-05-2022), Porschetech3 (09-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Search is over - 996 40th Jahre!