Sponsored by:

Another PCCM+ for 996 no sound problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 01:46 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Another PCCM+ for 996 no sound problem

Successfully installed my new PCCM+ for USA, in my 996 2000 C4 Millennium and replaced the old PCM.....but not totally successful. No Sound. Every other feature is working. I have read all the threads about the no sound problem....and not helping me yet. My old PCM did not have a ISO B brown cable for speakers. Speakers are enabled I assume via the amp. I did enable the CAN variable under Volume to AMP on, powered the car off and on, but still no sound. Help! Don't know what to test or try next.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:08 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Did you check this thread -> https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-no-sound.html
I think the PCCM+ does not output line level on the yellow plug. I do not know how to confirm or deny this.
It appears that one solution is to use a speaker level to line level converter from the PCCM+ ISO brown speaker plug to the car's yellow ISO line level input plug. Then the PCCM+ would be set at AMP. This is discussed in that thread with a source for the adapter cable.
In addition it would probably be needed to patch the black/red wire from the car's yellow plug to the white lead on the ISO Black plug to enable the amplifier turn-on.

Last edited by theprf; 10-20-2020 at 02:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZuffenZeus (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 02:08 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Schuepp
Successfully installed my new PCCM+ for USA, in my 996 2000 C4 Millennium and replaced the old PCM.....but not totally successful. No Sound. Every other feature is working. I have read all the threads about the no sound problem....and not helping me yet. My old PCM did not have a ISO B brown cable for speakers. Speakers are enabled I assume via the amp. I did enable the CAN variable under Volume to AMP on, powered the car off and on, but still no sound. Help! Don't know what to test or try next.
This is a problem that Porsche knows the answer to. The big question(s) for me is... Does the analog audio come in the form of LIVE LEVEL from the YELLOW C1 connector OR does analog audio come from the B connector and have to be attenuated to accommodate the input voltage level of the amplifier. If the B connector is truly the correct OUTPUT for the amplifier, then the next question is connectivity and how does one bring the audio level down within the menus to avoid distortion?

It would seem to me that the most plausible way for the PCCM+ to be compatible with legacy analogy systems is to output the LINE LEVEL audio through the YELLOW C1 ISO connector like with most legacy Becker analog head units. In the legacy Becker systems, the B connector was SPEAKER LEVEL output for those systems without a frunk amplifier. The connections from the B output would be fed directly to the speakers.

Another question I would have is there a grounding issue that needs to be addressed as I mentioned in the previous post to the OP. That may be one of the problems. If the signal output to the amplifier doesn't receive a proper ground, then of course, there will be NO signal to the amplifier. It would just produce silence and/or white noise when you turn it up.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I have read all the threads about the no sound problem....and not helping me yet. My old PCM did not have a ISO B brown cable for speakers. Speakers are enabled I assume via the amp. I did enable the CAN variable under Volume to AMP on, powered the car off and on, but still no sound. Help! Don't know what to test or try next.
Read the attached TSB from Porsche on the PCCM+

Notice 6.5.2 - There is a grounding issue that MUST be addressed for the PCM1. This may also apply to other analog systems.

To download the Porsche PCCM+ TSB pdf file attachment, go to post #86 in this thread....
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...o-sound-6.html

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 10-20-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Thumbs up It works!

Yahoo..... the sound is on. So grounding PIN 17 on the black AMP connector and cutting out the DSP line did the trick. Thank you for the advice and install
TSB instructions. I was only worried about what wire, as they described it black red yellow. Unless I'm color blind, the yellow was green and the red was
like a brownish red. But it was pin 17. All good. PCCM+ is marvelous and works with Apple Car Play apps terrific. My 996 feels like a new car.
AMP in the frunk black plug

Pin 17 taken out and replaced with a grounding wire

Works great!
Old 10-22-2020, 08:50 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Congratulations! Why did you install the media interface in the cubby versus the glove box? I am trying to decide where to place mine.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:41 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Yahoo..... the sound is on. So grounding PIN 17 on the black AMP connector and cutting out the DSP line did the trick. Thank you for the advice and install
TSB instructions. I was only worried about what wire, as they described it black red yellow. Unless I'm color blind, the yellow was green and the red was
like a brownish red. But it was pin 17. All good. PCCM+ is marvelous and works with Apple Car Play apps terrific. My 996 feels like a new car.

Works great!
That's great news! I'm so glad you didn't give up on the unit. Personally, I think Porsche hit a homer with the PCCM+. Hopefully these experiences will help all the analog owners that want to upgrade their old Harman-Becker PCM and CDR radio systems. Enjoy!
Old 10-22-2020, 11:13 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Works great!
So glad this worked for you! I think I need to do the exact same thing you did to get sound from my PCCM+ unit.

I've never fitted a ground line before--can you please help walk me through what you did?
1) where did you buy the grounding line? The manual lists PN 996.642.585.00, but the Porsche dealerships are quoting me weeks for it to ship. Is there a generic grounding line from a corner autoparts that would work instead?
2) what does the new grounding line and insulated DSP line look like when complete? Could you please take a picture of what your 18-pin Amp connector looks like now?
Old 10-26-2020, 06:45 PM
Geckos_Rule
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T3C
So glad this worked for you! I think I need to do the exact same thing you did to get sound from my PCCM+ unit.

I've never fitted a ground line before--can you please help walk me through what you did?
1) where did you buy the grounding line? The manual lists PN 996.642.585.00, but the Porsche dealerships are quoting me weeks for it to ship. Is there a generic grounding line from a corner autoparts that would work instead?
2) what does the new grounding line and insulated DSP line look like when complete? Could you please take a picture of what your 18-pin Amp connector looks like now?
1. It's fairly simple,. Basically, once you have the right grounding line (mine was brown), you just slide it into the same hole as where you removed the existing wire. The other side of the grounding line has a loop on it, which you can attach to the bolt right next to the amp rig. There should be another grounding line already attached to it to begin with, so just unscrew the nut, slide the loop on, and tighten it back.

2. Mine came with it, but I got the kit from Suncoast. Everything shipped within a week, so I'd imagine they can get you the part pretty quickly and cheaply, if you give them a call.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:43 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

Fantastic job and glad you got it working! It seems that people that are having the 'no sound' issue are the ones where the cars have the analog speaker connection and not the Bose fiber optic set ups. Is that correct?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:53 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by plpete84
Fantastic job and glad you got it working! It seems that people that are having the 'no sound' issue are the ones where the cars have the analog speaker connection and not the Bose fiber optic set ups. Is that correct?
It seems that the ones that have fewer problems are the MOST based systems. But remember, Bose can be either analog or digital. There was a lot of electronic innovation during the M9X era (1997 - 2008). Think about it... in just a little over a decade, we went from analog cassette tapes to BlueTooth streaming media with Apple Carplay.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:09 PM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks awesome !! I am going to get one as a matter of fact. One question as I have a porsche cdc4 chnager connected to my MOST PCM2 unit, will i still be able to use my cd changer by any chance ?
Old 10-27-2020, 06:22 PM
tommelton
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 86 Posts

From the Suncoast site:
  • The factory installed sound systems can be integrated. For technical reason, CD Changer and AudioPilot are not supported.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:31 AM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tommelton
From the Suncoast site:
  • The factory installed sound systems can be integrated. For technical reason, CD Changer and AudioPilot are not supported.
Indeed , i have noticed this but thanks for posting anyways. I wonder however if there is a 'smart' way to be able to connect the existing CD changer to this unit..... Also does anyone know what is the max SD capacity that can be read in this unit? My S Audi MMI system can only read up to 32GB from a SD card which is very annoying considering its a 128GB SD card fully loaded...
Old 11-02-2020, 05:09 PM
EZ911classic
4th Gear

What do we do with these plugs from the original head unit? Assuming the blue is previous nav. what about the black and yellow/brown connectors?

Quick Reply: Another PCCM+ for 996 no sound problem