996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another PCCM+ for 996 no sound problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 05:04 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I have the M680 DSP. I did ground pin #17 of the amp's black ISO Plug 1 which is required for the installation. So you're suggesting to disconnect
the speed signal pin 1 or pin 16 is I have an M680 DSP? I did not have to do that on the other PCCM+ I installed successfully. thanks
Old 11-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

thanks for the suggestion theprf, I tried disconnecting pin 16 of the amp's black ISO plug....did not disable the vehicle is in motion.
Then I tried pin #1....also did not disable the vehicle in motion.
How can we find out what is telling the PCCM that the vehicle is in motion, when it is not?
I purchased from Suncoast Porsche parts and they are trying to get to Porsche for me.
All else functions look good. This is a frustrating one for sure.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:01 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Unhappy PCCM+ Installation Problem - Vehicle stuck in motion, moving

I just installed my second PCCM+ system in a 996. I have a problem that prevents me from going to settings. I get a Traffic Safety message, "....some functions are only available when the vehicle is stationary". !! But I am stationary. My GPS is working and it shows accurately where the vehicle is and it's not moving. I also get the message "The vehicle is in motion!" and I am not in motion. Not sure where to start to solve this. I believe all my connections are solid in the install process. I am fairly certain all my connections are solid. I grounded pin 17 of the AMP per Porsche instructions for volume control. But of course I cannot get to volume control which is under Settings, because the system thinks the vehicle is moving. HELP!
Old 11-20-2020, 03:35 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Schuepp
thanks for the suggestion theprf, I tried disconnecting pin 16 of the amp's black ISO plug....did not disable the vehicle is in motion.
Then I tried pin #1....also did not disable the vehicle in motion.
How can we find out what is telling the PCCM that the vehicle is in motion, when it is not?
I purchased from Suncoast Porsche parts and they are trying to get to Porsche for me.
All else functions look good. This is a frustrating one for sure.
I would try to find out which pin is from the speed sensor and disconnect it. The PCCM thinks the car is moving. That pin is probably on the yellow connector on the PCCM.I don’t have a wireless diagram to say for sure. Have tried to disconnect the yellow connector?
Old 11-20-2020, 03:40 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Default pccm+ stuck in vehicle is in motion

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I would try to find out which pin is from the speed sensor and disconnect it. The PCCM thinks the car is moving. That pin is probably on the yellow connector on the PCCM.I don’t have a wireless diagram to say for sure. Have tried to disconnect the yellow connector?
If I disconnect the yellow connector on back of the PCCM I will not be getting out any sound to the amp. But I'll try it to see if the vehicle is moving message goes away. thanks...report back later.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:57 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I listed the vehicle speed pins in this post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post17037049
Old 11-20-2020, 04:50 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

okay I just disconnected the yellow connector and rebooted...still same problem
Old 11-20-2020, 04:53 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

not seeing anything from this URL https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post17037049 ??
Old 11-20-2020, 05:03 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Schuepp
not seeing anything from this URL ??
Funny, it works for me. Anyway it's the post I made at the bottom of the last page that you've already tried.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Originally Posted by theprf
Funny, it works for me. Anyway it's the post I made at the bottom of the last page that you've already tried.
Here's an update on my problem where the unit is stuck "in motion" and thus will not let the user change settings
while in motion. My distributor, Suncoast Porsche Parts, got this message from Porsche about my problem:
"The units are very sensitive to movement (onboard accelerometer) and must remain stationary to make this menu adjustment. Support from a local dealer (using PRMS if necessary) is recommended if the customer has technical issues."
So the PCCM does not use the speed. sensor or the GPS to detect motion. It has it's own accelerometer, which in my case seems to be stuck in motion. So they are forcing me to take the installed unit to my local Porsche dealership to do the warranty process, I have no choice. It could be a special command to reset the accelerometer but they are not revealing this info to unauthorized people. That sucks. I hope they are not going to charge me for this diagnostic of my installation.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:25 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Angry PCCM stuck in vehicle in motion due to accelerometer

Here's an update on my problem where the unit is stuck "in motion" and thus will not let the user change settings
while in motion. My distributor, Suncoast Porsche Parts, got this message from Porsche about my problem:
"The units are very sensitive to movement (onboard accelerometer) and must remain stationary to make this menu adjustment. Support from a local dealer (using PRMS if necessary) is recommended if the customer has technical issues."
So the PCCM does not use the speed. sensor or the GPS to detect motion. It has it's own accelerometer, which in my case seems to be stuck in motion. So they are forcing me to take the installed unit to my local Porsche dealership to do the warranty process, I have no choice. It could be a special command to reset the accelerometer but they are not revealing this info to unauthorized people. That sucks. I hope they are not going to charge me for this diagnostic of my installation.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:10 PM
mark_mia
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Paul - what was the outcome of the "traffic safety" error message and your device? I have the same problem and at this point I'm planing to return the entire head unit given Porsche is not very helpful - they just say "talk to the dealer" and the dealer has no idea what the problem is (given they don't really work on these). Hard to believe Porsche/dealers think a viable response is ... we can charge you to look at the new device you just purchased to see if we can figure out what's wrong with it.

It seems some of these have a faulty accelerometer and the only viable solution is to replace the entire unit/package. Either way, hard to believe the unit does not have a hard reset option - or ability for the owner to bypass the setting/alert.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:27 AM
ogh20
3rd Gear

Default Update?

Originally Posted by mark_mia
Paul - what was the outcome of the "traffic safety" error message and your device? I have the same problem and at this point I'm planing to return the entire head unit given Porsche is not very helpful - they just say "talk to the dealer" and the dealer has no idea what the problem is (given they don't really work on these). Hard to believe Porsche/dealers think a viable response is ... we can charge you to look at the new device you just purchased to see if we can figure out what's wrong with it.

It seems some of these have a faulty accelerometer and the only viable solution is to replace the entire unit/package. Either way, hard to believe the unit does not have a hard reset option - or ability for the owner to bypass the setting/alert.

Any update
Old 05-29-2023, 04:02 PM
arcangely2k
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Same exact problem. Purchased from Suncoast. Busted accelerometer / cant get into settings menu and thus can't make the unit work.
Wasted $100 on a failed install, now going out of the country to a month and have to send the unit back, wait a month to re-order and then begin this mess all over again

I hope Suncoast doesn't fight me on it. I'm going to force them to take it back. Already talked to my Porsche dealer. They have no idea. They told me to take it to a local independent car audio place.
Absolutely worthless. Porsche "built" a defective product and are shuffling the blame to their consumers and asking them to come out of pocket for Porsche's mistakes. Disgraceful.

Last edited by arcangely2k; 05-29-2023 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Adding info

Quick Reply: Another PCCM+ for 996 no sound problem