Sponsored by:

Another PCCM+ for 996 no sound problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 09:33 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ911classic

What do we do with these plugs from the original head unit? Assuming the blue is previous nav. what about the black and yellow/brown connectors?
Which PCM radio did you have? If I'm not mistaken, the Blue connector is for the Navigation antenna, the Black is the standard FM/AM antenna, and the Yellow plug is connected to the microphone in the center gauge cluster. Very few people used the cell phone capability built in the older PCM units. The PCCM+ should be able to use the preexisting navigation antenna as well as the FM/AM antenna, but I'm not totally sure if the PCCM's tan plug is used for the phone microphone. Could be.
The following users liked this post:
EZ911classic (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 08:50 PM
EZ911classic
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding. I have PCM2. 2004, 911, bose with CD changer. I think ive worked out the three antenna, gps wires. but im still not getting sound. any thoughts?
Old 11-05-2020, 11:15 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Thank you for responding. I have PCM2. 2004, 911, bose with CD changer. I think ive worked out the three antenna, gps wires. but im still not getting sound. any thoughts?
First question - did the old PCM2 work before removing it?

Second, have you selected CAN bus on the PCCM+ and connected the fiber optic line to the PCCM+?
Old 11-05-2020, 12:37 PM
EZ911classic
4th Gear

Yes, the old PCM2 worked. Didn't have any problems with it. I connected the singular fiber optic connector to the CD changer but no other cable is available for the head unit. I tried CAN with powering off/On. Then AMP with powering off/on. not sure if battery disconnect is needed to completely power off/on. Also, i noticed the PCCM+ head unit stays on when the car is off and key is out of ignition. even after opening the door and closing it.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:57 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Yes, the old PCM2 worked. Didn't have any problems with it. I connected the singular fiber optic connector to the CD changer but no other cable is available for the head unit. I tried CAN with powering off/On. Then AMP with powering off/on. not sure if battery disconnect is needed to completely power off/on. Also, i noticed the PCCM+ head unit stays on when the car is off and key is out of ignition. even after opening the door and closing it.
Do you have the install instructions? If not, download the pdf attached below.
Attached Images

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 11-05-2020 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
EZ911classic (11-05-2020), JWILLI (03-25-2021)
Old 11-06-2020, 06:42 AM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

..meaning the PCCM+ has to be manually switched on / off every time …? I find that a bit strange .. is that so with other PCCM+ owners ?

I am planning to get the PCCM+ unit to replace my PCM2 once the lockdown and this madness has receded , my only concern is if there is a way to retain the use of my existing CD changer …… I know Porsche says you cant use it but wonder if this is possible …..
Old 11-06-2020, 10:23 AM
EZ911classic
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Giorginetto
..meaning the PCCM+ has to be manually switched on / off every time …? I find that a bit strange .. is that so with other PCCM+ owners ?

I am planning to get the PCCM+ unit to replace my PCM2 once the lockdown and this madness has receded , my only concern is if there is a way to retain the use of my existing CD changer …… I know Porsche says you cant use it but wonder if this is possible …..

I've taken the car into my local Porsche dealership to take a look. I'll let you know what they say about getting the sound working and having the PCCM+ turn off on its own or by the vehicle. Also, they did say that the CD changer wouldn't work with the PCCM+ unit.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:51 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

The PCCM is powered directly off the battery, not the ignition switch which I find very annoying. However, there is an off timer you can set once to exit the car which will power down the unit. Upon restarting, the unit will power up without having to push the on switch.

You can not use your CD changer.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:53 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

I've taken the car into my local Porsche dealership to take a look. I'll let you know what they say about getting the sound working and having the PCCM+ turn off on its own or by the vehicle. Also, they did say that the CD changer wouldn't work with the PCCM+ unit.
The PCCM is powered directly off the battery, not the ignition switch which I find very annoying. However, there is an off timer you can set once to exit the car which will power down the unit. Upon restarting, the unit will power up without having to push the on switch.
The following users liked this post:
EZ911classic (11-06-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:21 PM
Mikołaj
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

..meaning the PCCM+ has to be manually switched on / off every time …? I find that a bit strange .. is that so with other PCCM+ owners
My is switching off after taking the key out. It was like that from the begining.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:33 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mikołaj
My is switching off after taking the key out. It was like that from the begining.
That’s a normal operation.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:05 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Unhappy PCCM+ new problem... can't change settings, vehicle is in motion

I just installed my second PCCM+ system. I have a problem that prevents me from going to settings. I get a Traffic Safety message, "....some functions are only available when the vehicle is stationsary". !! But I am stationary. My GPS is working and it shows accurately where the vehicle is and it's not moving. I also get the message "The vehicle is in motion!" and I am not in motion. Not sure where to start to solve this. I believe all my connections are solid in the install process. Anyone have any ideas? thank you. Paul
Old 11-19-2020, 03:40 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Schuepp
I just installed my second PCCM+ system. I have a problem that prevents me from going to settings. I get a Traffic Safety message, "....some functions are only available when the vehicle is stationsary". !! But I am stationary. My GPS is working and it shows accurately where the vehicle is and it's not moving. I also get the message "The vehicle is in motion!" and I am not in motion. Not sure where to start to solve this. I believe all my connections are solid in the install process. Anyone have any ideas? thank you. Paul
I heard of this problem before, but I can’t remember the solution. Have you tried a factory reset? Push the volume control for 10s, and a hidden menu should boot up.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:48 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Thank you mffarrell, but that's the problem. I know about the volume reset 10 sec...and switch it to "AMP" inorder to get the sound,
but I cannot get to VOLUME which is under SETTINGS because it thinks my vehicle is moving, so it won't let me get into Settings.
The Volume settings parameter is not under SOUND which has controls for fade, balance, loundess, etc. Some sensor or whatever
thinks my vehicle is moving and puts it into traffic safety mode. WIsh I could disable traffic safety mode.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:32 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Did you try to unplug the GPS?
Also there is a vehicle speed signal that's in the black ISO plug. It would be pin#1 and shows a grey/pink wire in the schematic I have.
If you have the M680 DSP the speed signal goes to the amplifier, it's on pin#16 of the amp's Plug 1 (not the speaker plug, the other one) and also a grey/pink wire.

Quick Reply: Another PCCM+ for 996 no sound problem