Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Missing water pump blades

Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Porschetech3
User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000 View Post
Can it handle heat cycles?
lol, well that would be extremely hard for me to test, or maybe even impossible, but I figured you (or someone) would ask such a difficult question.I have thought about that, and it deserves a discussion/answer/,theory. And I find this type of discussion much more interesting/productive than discussing the pro's/con's of the fried egg headlights of the 996's, or the best placement of the cup holders, subjects that have all been beaten to death...

Heat cycles/thermal fatigue usually are associated with metals that have internal stress trapped inside after cooling. The internal stress can cause cracking if not relieved prior to putting in service. This is not a problem with GFRP ( glass fiber reinforced polymers) because they are very flexible and no internal stress is created in the process.

GFRP degradation due to temperature can be a problem. The general study is the continuous temperature (or operating temperature) that a GFRP can withstand without degradation is about half of the "short term" maximum temperature.

Since I have tested the "short term" temperature to 500F ( could be much more ) , then the general knowledge is the continuous temp (working temp) of at least 250F (possibly more) without degradation is extremely plausible.

The Boxster has been working fine, no changes in temp. I am pleased with the outcome of the temperature test of the GFRP fine mesh that is installed. I am still under the opinion that the GFRP mesh will work equally as well as the welded steel zinc coated fine mesh. Just depends on which one is easiest to work with...

Headed out in the Boxster to dinner, with no worries that the GFRP will melt
Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Porschetech3
User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000 View Post
Awesome!
Thanks !!

Ambient temp today mid 90's, coolant temp normal as ever with "catch screens" installed...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: