Sponsored by:

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM
mattie_k
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fuel pump

So having taken my 1999 C2 out of winter hibernation finally, I usually try to drive it to burn off the tank of stabilized fuel as low as possible before filling it with fresh fuel. Well the other day as I'm cruising around I start noticing a rattling noise. Fuel gage indicated a bit below half. Sounded like a ball bouncing around in my fuel tank so drove the mile or so home to investigate. Tore the frunk carpets out in case I left a socket or something in there, but found nothing. Found that I could reproduce the sound by rocking the car side to side. Jacked it up and removed the under panels and carefully listened from below while rocking the car. Definitely coming from the tank area. Could it be a faulty fuel sender or is it the pump? No check engine light, no codes. I'm stumped!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:52 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I seem to recall someone having this issue here. A plastic ball comes out of the pump or sending unit. Unless I was dreaming.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:14 PM
mattie_k
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I seem to recall someone having this issue here. A plastic ball comes out of the pump or sending unit. Unless I was dreaming.
Well that's a little concerning.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:35 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mattie_k
So having taken my 1999 C2 out of winter hibernation finally, I usually try to drive it to burn off the tank of stabilized fuel as low as possible before filling it with fresh fuel. Well the other day as I'm cruising around I start noticing a rattling noise. Fuel gage indicated a bit below half. Sounded like a ball bouncing around in my fuel tank so drove the mile or so home to investigate. Tore the frunk carpets out in case I left a socket or something in there, but found nothing. Found that I could reproduce the sound by rocking the car side to side. Jacked it up and removed the under panels and carefully listened from below while rocking the car. Definitely coming from the tank area. Could it be a faulty fuel sender or is it the pump? No check engine light, no codes. I'm stumped!
My car's done the same thing as long as I've had it. Sounds like a loose wrench/socket/something rolling around in the tank or trunk area. I only ever hear it when rocking the car back and forth by hand in the garage. Not sure if it's something to do with the tank level sensor, a check ball valve to keep it from dumping gasoline out if the car rolls, or what. Zero symptoms when driving, so I've decided to ignore it.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:24 PM
mattie_k
Racer

I decided to add some fuel and it definitely is quieter but still there. But glad I'm not the only one hearing this!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

There is a plastic ball that resides in the end of the fuel inlet tube (part #11) of this diagram, it has become dislodged.
Dr. h.c. Porschetech3

Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 PM
mattie_k
Racer

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
There is a plastic ball that resides in the end of the fuel inlet tube (part #11) of this diagram, it has become dislodged.
Dr. h.c. Porschetech3

Is that to control fuel leakage in case of a turn over? Should I be worried?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Is that to control fuel leakage in case of a turn over? Should I be worried?
I don't recall how buoyant the ball is, it may help with leakage on overturn, may also help to keep from overfilling and flooding the charcoal canister on fillup. It would be safe to retrieve ball and replace tube so it will function as designed.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I believe the fuel pump removal procedure - at least to open the top access port - isn’t that hard to do? Hard to see in there maybe, but an LED flashlight an/or an iPhone camera with light might be enough to see what’s in there?
Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 PM
mattie_k
Racer

Yes I think I will order a new gasket (only a few pesos) and have a peak. I put it out there to see if anyone had experienced a similar thing and could give a definitive answer so that I could just order parts and do it all in one go but alas...I shall investigate further.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"Hard to see in there maybe, but an LED flashlight an/or an iPhone camera with light might be enough to see what’s in there?"

^^ Just don't use a match or a lighter...
Old 05-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
"Hard to see in there maybe, but an LED flashlight an/or an iPhone camera with light might be enough to see what’s in there?"

^^ Just don't use a match or a lighter...
And don’t use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the gas!
Old 08-01-2021, 03:45 PM
DanielWilk__
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I think I will order a new gasket (only a few pesos) and have a peak. I put it out there to see if anyone had experienced a similar thing and could give a definitive answer so that I could just order parts and do it all in one go but alas...I shall investigate further.
Mattie did you ever find a solution?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump