Sponsored by:

Bluetooth audio options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 12:07 AM
Shortpballer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth audio options?

Hey everyone. I have a 2003 c4s with navigation. Was wondering what the best option for Bluetooth would be.

would like to be able to accept phone calls and talk hands free. Would also like to stream music from my phone as well.

What are my options? Tried doing a google search and didn’t come up with much.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:09 AM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I am starting to look at Cruthfield. Looking at dual din systems.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:43 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

For $20 I got an rf cigarette lighter adapter. Has Bluetooth, charges phone, plays USB jump drive. Built in mic too. Called wife with it. She said it sounds just as good as the $2000 factory alpine in my Jeep.
The following users liked this post:
Antimatter (04-21-2024)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 PM
z driver 88t
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
For $20 I got an rf cigarette lighter adapter. Has Bluetooth, charges phone, plays USB jump drive. Built in mic too. Called wife with it. She said it sounds just as good as the $2000 factory alpine in my Jeep.
I picked up one of these as well from Amazon for $20. The reviews were hit and miss, but it was cheap and had all the functions built in and figured it was worth a gamble. I have been very impressed with the voice quality on the built-in mic (wife has been able to hear me clearly fro the car) and the RF transmitter produces a reasonably clean signal. For $20 I've been very happy with it. Only drawback is no second 12V source for a radar detector on road trips.

I had wanted to do a dual-DIN conversion and ditch the PCM 1 system in my '99 C4, but the headache of dealing with factory AMP/DSP issues led to me going this route instead.

Overall, it's simple, effective, and cheap.
The following users liked this post:
Antimatter (04-21-2024)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

If you have an OEM radio, you might want to check with Becker autosound in NJ, they retrofit bluetooth to OEM units, they recently did it on an older TrafficPro radio for my 944. Just give them a call. My retrofit it music only, it does not include a mic for phone calls.

https://www.beckerautosound.com/
Old 04-09-2019, 04:02 PM
Myoung73
Track Day

Best compromise between sound quality, ease of installation and cost I have found (not to mention keeping your existing setup assuming you are okay with the sound) is the iSimple Tranzit Blue HF (FM modulator). You can tap into the cell phone adapter (left side of the center lower console) for switched power, and it uses an antenna adapter to plug into the back of the stereo. I installed in my 986s (and bought another to install on my 996 that I got last October) and it sounds much better than the cig adapter fm modulators that connect over the air (tried a couple of those too and though okay the tranzit blue sounds much better).

Link to transit blue on amazon.
Amazon Amazon

Link to antenna adapters on amazon (these work for the head unit in both my 2003 986 and 2004 996 as they both have the same head unit - CDR23 - please confirm they work for your 2003 with nav as I think that's a different head unit but not sure).
Amazon Amazon

Link to adapter to wire into the cell phone adapter on ebay. This is not required as you can tap directly into the wires (the hot wire is switched with the ignition) but I recommend this for ease of install so you don't have to tap in directly to the wire. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-AUX...frcectupt=true

Install is relatively easy, at least with the CDR-23 as you just have to pull the Head Unit out a bit to connect up the antenna / adapters, then just wire up the tranzit blue to the cell adapter, download an app to your phone to set the frequency and you are done...

Good Luck!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:05 PM
maalco
Track Day

Would you mind directing me to what you purchased? I hate not being able to talk on the phone and use my commute time because I have to shift!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:20 PM
gbgastowers
Rennlist Member

Location: Holden Beach and Winston-Salem, North Carolina 82 928 Euro S 5spd MOSS GREEN/CHAMPAGNE-04 996 C4S CONV TIP POLAR SILVER/METROPOL BLUE
Received 282 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by maalco
Would you mind directing me to what you purchased? I hate not being able to talk on the phone and use my commute time because I have to shift!
. You can call them and get directly from them. I have it and like it. It integrates with your factory system very well.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

My car has the same setup as MYoung73's. I don't try to use my phone while driving since I have a Cab. Streaming music works well. Need to replace the stock radio though as the CDR-23 has crap reception in my car.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth audio options?