996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Going to Put in Rebuilt Injectors in my Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Always appreciate Jakes expert opinion but lots of fuel injectors get professionally cleaned, balanced and flow tested and reused.
I have tried every brand of rebuilt injector. We have also had local shops specializing with injectors work with them. The results have never been the same as a new injector. We've tested them back to back, and I've even ran tests where 1 bank of the engine has new injectors, and the other has rebuilt. The differences in fuel trim were notable, as well as the rough running index on each bank.

The bigger issue with rebuilt injectors lies in the fluid that was used to clean them, and how long they have been on the shelf. As part of what we do, we work with wholesalers of parts that are having issues with products. A couple of years ago one company lost a lot of money selling rebuilt injectors due to warranty issues. I was asked to figure out the issue and it was determined that the fluid that was being used had a shelf life in the injector of 30 days, after that period it would actually begin to corrode the injector internally.

That said, cleaning and "rebuilding" injectors is done in a lab environment. The injector is being tested in a perfect scenario. Put that perfect injector on a hot engine that has just been shut down, and see if it will hold 60 PSI of dead headed fuel pressure without bleeding down overnight without puddling fuel in the intake ports and cylinders that have open intake valves. Give it a shot. Injectors have been fighting us for 5 years, and when I recommend to you to replace them with new units, this all comes from direct experience, pain, and suffering.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Jake is right. You can not rebuild these and most fuel injectors from the last 25+ years. Physically not possible! They are "refurbished" by cleaning them (internally and eternally), then new external hardware is put on (pintle cap and O rings) and are then painted to look new. The internal moving parts are just as worn as then were before. If a company uses the word rebuilt, they are lying. Yes, most flow test them and then they take the 6 closest flowing injectors and send them to you as a set. Often this means that these injectors came form different engines. You have no idea what you are getting other than they are a "flow matched" set of old injectors that look new.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Rebuilt injectors get flow test to confirm spray patterns are correct.

Always appreciate Jakes expert opinion but lots of fuel injectors get professionally cleaned, balanced and flow tested and reused.

Of course, if money is no object buy new. But to say after your injectors are professionally cleaned, balanced and tested that they might be worse than before is less than honest.

Who said that ?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:01 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,390 Likes on 1,267 Posts

I've run into problems using rebuilt injectors in BMW engines.
Sure they sprayed fine, made great power, and solved misfire issues.
But they also leaked while setting.
They leaked up to the point of hydro-locking engines that sat very long.
Now I only use new injectors, especially in anything that is not daily driven.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Jake is right. You can not rebuild these and most fuel injectors from the last 25+ years. Physically not possible! They are "refurbished" by cleaning them (internally and eternally), then new external hardware is put on (pintle cap and O rings) and are then painted to look new. The internal moving parts are just as worn as then were before. If a company uses the word rebuilt, they are lying. Yes, most flow test them and then they take the 6 closest flowing injectors and send them to you as a set. Often this means that these injectors came form different engines. You have no idea what you are getting other than they are a "flow matched" set of old injectors that look new.
Yep, what he said.

They leaked up to the point of hydro-locking engines that sat very long.
Which is THE problem we are trying to avoid. Fuel is solvent, puddling that up in the bottom of a cylinder leads to wear, and fuel intrusion. I have stories about this that would go on for days, including a paid technical consultation for a supplier of engines that had a dozen issues with new engines after the old engine had failed from bore scoring. The replacement engines started showing odd symptoms upon installation, and that was traced back to the same cylinders that failed previously. Luckily the core engines went through a photo documented teardown. The common denominator was the fuel injectors remained in their same locations, feeding the same cylinders with both engines. This was as conclusive as it gets, and well documented.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,365 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I see warehouse 33 doesn't offer them (I'm sure he could get them), but does offer the rebuild service from the same place that I posted above.....$41 each plus a $50 core charge.....or I'm sure you could send Jason the injectors and for $41 each get them rebuilt. The 3.4 injectors are about $190 each new!
Why not just use the 996.2 injectors? The 996.1 injectors are EV-1 (0280150470) and flow 229cc/min, the 996.2 EV-6 (0280156053) flow 249cc/min that's a difference of just 9%. And if using Ethanol laced fuel (E10),it requires 6.3% more fuel than pure petrol, it will be closer to Lambda 1 (0 trim) than if using the EV-1 stock injectors and pure petrol.

Usually I see trims running +5-+6 % when running Ethanol laced fuel. The DME can adjust +- 10% LTFT and =- 10% STFT and will set CEL if a +- 25% is reached.

The EV-6 and EV-1 are the same length, connector, and o-ring size and Ohm (12).. The EV-6 has a better spray pattern and runs cooler.

The 0280156053 flows only 20cc/min more ( 249cc/min vs 229cc/min) than the 0280150470 and would even be better suited for E10 on the 3.4 engine.

Since the price is SO much different, seems putting EV-6's in the 3.4 would be worth it, I'm sure Jake has done this, comments Jake?

The 3.4 doesn't suffer from bore scoring as much as it's big brothers, but uneven or leaking injectors can certainly cause this issue.

That 996.2 injector 0280156053 249cc/min is also used in the 2.7 and 3.2 986 from 01+
Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,390 Likes on 1,267 Posts

I got confirmation from Warehouse33 that the 996.2 Bosch fuel injectors they sell are new.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Why not just use the 996.2 injectors? The 996.1 injectors are EV-1 (0280150470) and flow 229cc/min, the 996.2 EV-6 (0280156053) flow 249cc/min that's a difference of just 9%. And if using Ethanol laced fuel (E10),it requires 6.3% more fuel than pure petrol, it will be closer to Lambda 1 (0 trim) than if using the EV-1 stock injectors and pure petrol.

Usually I see trims running +5-+6 % when running Ethanol laced fuel. The DME can adjust +- 10% LTFT and =- 10% STFT and will set CEL if a +- 25% is reached.

The EV-6 and EV-1 are the same length, connector, and o-ring size and Ohm (12).. The EV-6 has a better spray pattern and runs cooler.

The 0280156053 flows only 20cc/min more ( 249cc/min vs 229cc/min) than the 0280150470 and would even be better suited for E10 on the 3.4 engine.

Since the price is SO much different, seems putting EV-6's in the 3.4 would be worth it, I'm sure Jake has done this, comments Jake?

The 3.4 doesn't suffer from bore scoring as much as it's big brothers, but uneven or leaking injectors can certainly cause this issue.

That 996.2 injector 0280156053 249cc/min is also used in the 2.7 and 3.2 986 from 01+
Due to power output of our engines we generally use an aftermarket injector for a different application..

BUT when an early engine needs new injectors we do replace them as you mention. One mod is required to make the injectors fit the early style fuel rail/ clip. l’ll do a Rennvision video on that next week for you guys. It takes 5 minutes per injector
Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Jake, I'm glad you're back on the forum! Thank you for the education...
Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Jake, I'm glad you're back on the forum! Thank you for the education...
l’m not here for long... Going through all my old posts to grab thoughts to add to my book as l work to finish it at the end of the summer.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

Jake's, thanks so much about saying that the 996.2 injectors would work with a modification. I would rather have new and truly appreciate you making a video on how to modify him to go into the fuel rail.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:56 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

I don’t know why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to argue with JR about Porsche engines. It’d be like me arguing over the color of the moon with Neil Armstrong.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Now I’m just some knucklehead that mostly has rebuilt Ford small blocks but I love EFI. Ford’s EFI systems were originally based on Bosch designs. I read Bosch’s first EFI book back in college. Ford’s first mutiport EFI systems used Bosch EV1 injectors with EV1 being the electric connector. These were the old style single port one o ring, pintle cap having Bosch injectors with different colors being different flow rates. I have a handy dandy sheet that tells me flow rates, how much power you can support and at what duty cycle. EV6 injectors have different connectors and have 4 spray holes in the end for a better pattern and atomization.

I seriously doubt Porsche made EV1 or EV6 injectors with different plugs. I know Ford sells adapters for EV1 harnesses to use newer EV6 injectors. I also know you can get generic (read chinese) new style injectirs with EV1 connectors on them.

EV1 refers to the old Motronic connector and EV6 is a uscar connector. You can get adapters to upgrade EV1 to EV6. No one in their right mind would go back to EV1 from EV6 though.

As for cleaning injectors, I suspect Jake is right that they will leak after shutoff. New injectors are better. Heck I’m putting new generic injectors on my POS Ford for the $2k challenge. I won’t even used old injectors on that project.

Now after reading this I know to look for Bosch EV6s of a certain flow rate. I just need to know the spec fuel pressure for the flow rate. I bet I can find them cheaper.

Last edited by AnthonyGS; 01-15-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,365 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Now I’m just some knucklehead that mostly has rebuilt Ford small blocks but I love EFI. Ford’s EFI systems were originally based on Bosch designs. I read Bosch’s first EFI book back in college. Ford’s first mutiport EFI systems used Bosch EV1 injectors with EV1 being the electric connector. These were the old style single port one o ring, pintle cap having Bosch injectors with different colors being different flow rates. I have a handy dandy sheet that tells me flow rates, how much power you can support and at what duty cycle. EV6 injectors have different connectors and have 4 spray holes in the end for a better pattern and atomization.

I seriously doubt Porsche made EV1 or EV6 injectors with different plugs. I know Ford sells adapters for EV1 harnesses to use newer EV6 injectors. I also know you can get generic (read chinese) new style injectirs with EV1 connectors on them.

EV1 refers to the old Motronic connector and EV6 is a uscar connector. You can get adapters to upgrade EV1 to EV6. No one in their right mind would go back to EV1 from EV6 though.

As for cleaning injectors, I suspect Jake is right that they will leak after shutoff. New injectors are better. Heck I’m putting new generic injectors on my POS Ford for the $2k challenge. I won’t even used old injectors on that project.

Now after reading this I know to look for Bosch EV6s of a certain flow rate. I just need to know the spec fuel pressure for the flow rate. I bet I can find them cheaper.

Both the EV-1 and EV-6 mentioned in my post use the Bosch Jetronic/Minitimer connector , commonly referred to as just the EV-1 style connector.(not the USCAR connector knucklehead )

EV-1, EV-6 and EV-14 are Bosch injector "body" styles, not connector types.

Bosch even makes the EV-14 in the "standard " length ( EV-1 replacement)with flow rates up to 1000cc/min with the "EV-1 style Bosch Jetronic/Minitimer connector."

BTW the flow rate is 3 Bar for these specs.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 01-15-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Jake, Do you recommend using the same injectors when rebuilding a 3.6 to 3.8 or do they change?

Quick Reply: Going to Put in Rebuilt Injectors in my Motor