Sponsored by:

Follow up to coolant leak underneath drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Jim996cab
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Follow up to coolant leak underneath drivers side

Got bored last night and removed the expansion tank. Tiny bit of white residue on the rear seam. I’ve tried to attach a photo but I’m not seeing it yet; hopefully it shows up. Pelican’s website was very helpful, but what they should say is how much of a bear it is to maneuver the tank out. Wow! I’m a bit concerned with maneuvering the new one in. I did lower the engine (really simple) but make sure your jack is underneath it to catch it. Not sure how far it would drop if it wasn’t. I ended up messing up the level sensor while doing it. Oh well - that answers my question of “should I replace it since it’s 18 years old?” Will order new parts and hopefully be driving again next weekend. If questions, please ask.
-Jim

Edit - for some reason I’m unable to attach the photo.

Last edited by Jim996cab; 10-13-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

While you are at it replace all those stupid spring clamps with worm clamps

There's also this little plastic coolant pipe bracket that may crumble bits might as well replace it. After I bought the factory part I came across a metal one - wish I had known - would have gone with that instead!
Old 10-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Gptoyz
While you are at it replace all those stupid spring clamps with worm clamps

There's also this little plastic coolant pipe bracket that may crumble bits might as well replace it. After I bought the factory part I came across a metal one - wish I had known - would have gone with that instead!
I’m not sure everyone would agree with you on the clamps. Even though Porsche has moved to these worm clamps, many still favor the old style because even though they require a special tool, Spring clamps apply pressure evenly and rarely break or wear out.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:37 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Yep, it was an hour of wiggling and turning and twisting and then somehow it magically came out. The new one went in with the same amount of contortions. You wonder why they didn't use a more regular shaped tank. I broke my coolant sensor in the process too. Luckily there is a Porsche dealer only 3 miles away from me. I would recommend that anyone who is about to replace their coolant tank to order a sensor at the same time.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:49 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 410 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Yep, it was an hour of wiggling and turning and twisting and then somehow it magically came out.
Just brainstorming , why not destroy tank on removal? Heat gun to deform, or dremel cut off wheel and cut out in pieces?

apologize for dumb idea. I haven't had to cross this hurdle......yet.😎
Old 10-13-2018, 07:36 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
Just brainstorming , why not destroy tank on removal? Heat gun to deform, or dremel cut off wheel and cut out in pieces?

and then how do you install the new one? in pieces as well?

Old 10-13-2018, 10:53 PM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

That was one of the more frustrating jobs. Getting all the support bolts back in place was a challenge.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 410 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
and then how do you install the new one? in pieces as well?
lol I said removal.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:35 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera

I had to disconnect the fuel lines, which are right next to the tank, to get it out. I don't think I would want to use a heat gun in that area. Theoretically you could cut it with a sawzall, but don't slip because there is a lot of fragile stuff in that area. Of course you would still have the problem of getting the new tank in.

Quick Reply: Follow up to coolant leak underneath drivers side