Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:19 PM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Wow, that's super clean. I think I could eat off that floor!
Don't worry, it wont be clean for too long. Its a new addition..
Old 12-31-2018, 12:27 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Great job! The metra kit seems work great. I've seen them advertised on eBay. I'm thinking about upgrading my system. My wife complains the old becker radio doesn't accept bluetooth music. I explain to her, the best music was being emitted from the Flat 6 engine! hahaha

She didn't find that funny.
Thanks, I'm really enjoying it. I don't know if I'd use the Metra kit again. When I bought the head unit, a factory refurb, through Crutchfield, the whole metra kit was on sale for $5.00. It's worth that of course but I'd be pretty unhappy if I paid much more. Unfortunately, there's no way to secure the Metra kit if you have the factory cup holder using the supplied metra brackets. The factory metal bracket that wraps around the double din opening is secured by two screws a few inches back in the dashboard. With the Metra mount, there's no way to keep that metal bracket and without that bracket, the cup holder isn't supported. The other thing I don't like about the metra kit is that you have to remove the U shaped surround to get the radio out. It's doesn't just slide out of a double din chassis because the double din chassis isn't used. The radio along with the metra mount and the rest of the factory surround has to go in and out together.

I'm still not sure how to best support it. Right now, it's just held in with tape so I can slide the metra bracket with the radio in and out very easily. I wish there was a way to reach around behind it to secure it like we did when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I've got a bit of strange way to do it that might work. I've been thinking about attaching a wire to the metra mount and just running it into the battery compartment where the RCA cables come through. If I could secure it there tightly, the tension would keep the radio in place. It would make pulling it out a snap. You can see where the cables come through in the photo. That grommet is directly behind the left side of radio.

Sound crazy?
Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
...Sound crazy?
Nope, wanna see crazy and have a good laugh?
Reddit Just Rolled Into the Shop

Last edited by sasilverbullet; 12-31-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed link...
Old 12-31-2018, 01:58 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alpina68
Which H&R springs did you use and do you have fender heights?
I am looking to change mine when I swap struts.
I have the H&R Sport springs for the cabrio. I actually ordered the wrong ones (well, I was sent the wrong ones... but I digress) and was going to return them, but I wanted the front a bit lower than the rear like the GT3. These seem to have accomplished that aesthetic goal and I doubt it’ll upset the handling balance in any way. But even if it does, I think it’d actually help the front end bite a little more. I did not measure the fender heights because I don’t see the point of doing that with non-height-adjustable springs, especially when the surface on which I was installing them was not level. Also, the springs are a temporary solution to the 4x4 stock ride height as I will be installing the Öhlins R/T coilovers eventually. It’s hard for me to spend a couple grand to replace perfectly good parts, though. My stock suspension only has 24k miles on it and works great. I’ll be taking more pictures with better light later today.

Last edited by JoeyCapranica; 12-31-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:11 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996sf
I rolled my 996 last night... https://imgur.com/a/JOvVqxr
Will be parting it out this weekend.
damn sorry to hear.

I need door panels for passenger side if still parting out
Old 12-31-2018, 11:18 PM
996sf
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSalesGuy
damn sorry to hear.

I need door panels for passenger side if still parting out
Yup still parting it out (actually just finished getting the car out of my buddy's garage).

There's a bunch of photos in the link below. I don't have any photos of the passenger side door panels but it gives you a sense of what the interior color is. If that works for you then we can arrange something.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tBx4UhX3NLaibYAQ6
Old 12-31-2018, 11:46 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Washed it. The charcoal cabin filter made a bigger difference than I expected, by the way. I’m really happy with these springs so far too.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:18 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Yup still parting it out (actually just finished getting the car out of my buddy's garage).

There's a bunch of photos in the link below. I don't have any photos of the passenger side door panels but it gives you a sense of what the interior color is. If that works for you then we can arrange something.

looks like you have grey interior? I need black.

what happened anyway? Care to share? Glad you are ok
Old 01-01-2019, 11:59 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
Thanks, I'm really enjoying it. I don't know if I'd use the Metra kit again. When I bought the head unit, a factory refurb, through Crutchfield, the whole metra kit was on sale for $5.00. It's worth that of course but I'd be pretty unhappy if I paid much more. Unfortunately, there's no way to secure the Metra kit if you have the factory cup holder using the supplied metra brackets. The factory metal bracket that wraps around the double din opening is secured by two screws a few inches back in the dashboard. With the Metra mount, there's no way to keep that metal bracket and without that bracket, the cup holder isn't supported. The other thing I don't like about the metra kit is that you have to remove the U shaped surround to get the radio out. It's doesn't just slide out of a double din chassis because the double din chassis isn't used. The radio along with the metra mount and the rest of the factory surround has to go in and out together.

I'm still not sure how to best support it. Right now, it's just held in with tape so I can slide the metra bracket with the radio in and out very easily. I wish there was a way to reach around behind it to secure it like we did when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I've got a bit of strange way to do it that might work. I've been thinking about attaching a wire to the metra mount and just running it into the battery compartment where the RCA cables come through. If I could secure it there tightly, the tension would keep the radio in place. It would make pulling it out a snap. You can see where the cables come through in the photo. That grommet is directly behind the left side of radio.

Sound crazy?
It's been a while since I explored this topic and installed a double din in a Porsche. Did you modify a single DIN chassis? Porsche sells a double DIN chassis that would be better designed for installing a double DIN head unit in these cars. But when I installed my double din radio, I just modified the existing chassis and used the mounting cage that came with the radio. Once I got it locked into the existing chassis, the radio would slide out like the single DIN type. No need to take all the switches, chassis, and center console bezel off just to get to the back of the radio. The radio's bezel was also large enough to fill the gaps on the center console. I ordered the upper shelf and AC bezel from Porsche and it worked like a charm. It turned out great.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:02 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 410 Posts

All four wheels Hunter Road force balanced and rotated Saturday, then today had my second free alignment at the Firestone on Culebra/1604. Firestone has a $299 lifetime alignment. I spent many hours calling around town to find one that had the right equipment for my 03 C2. Get this, the technician is Mr. Carrera, yes, his name is really Jack Carrera! (and he loves Porsche's!)

Old 01-01-2019, 04:42 PM
guzzista
AutoX

Default What did you do to your 996 today?

Hi. new member here. This is my last mod on my 1999 C2. Carrera lll wheels swap. So far I am happy with the results. Happy new Year to all
Old 01-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyCapranica
Washed it. The charcoal cabin filter made a bigger difference than I expected, by the way. I’m really happy with these springs so far too.

When I see pics like this, I can’t help but think “future classic”. I’m sure I’m somewhat biased but the proportions are just right. Still a small sportscar, unlike the newer models. Reminds me more of the 964/993 era than the big(ger) 991/992s.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:47 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
When I see pics like this, I can’t help but think “future classic”. I’m sure I’m somewhat biased...

+996 and I'm more-than-somewhat biased
Old 01-01-2019, 07:07 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

I put a deposit on this 2000 996 today.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:17 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

how does the e brake handle come apart? Really I just need the button, but may take the whole thing if available

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?