Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 05:44 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
It’s actually been over the last couple days/weeks (not today)... I’ve been having a problem with misfires when hot so it’s been a series of “potential fixes” followed by test drives. In the process I’ve also found several other things amiss so fixed them while in there... 1) resistor for low speed fan (passenger side).
2) Front differential (C4) - while slightly involved, very straight forward (and I got a great deal on a slightly used one - $250 &#128515
3) On my last test drive the brake line to the right rear wheel popped so I had to replace it before I could go any further with my misfire diagnostics. If any of you have been through this you know what a nightmare it is. This line runs from a junction block below the drivers door, up over and across the transaxle and back down to the right rear wheel. This and several other lines are routed and fastened to the body before the drivetrain is installed, so you’ve basically got to drop the engine to get the old one out and the new one in. The key was to drop the engine/transaxle about 5-6”, and rout the new line in from the passenger side - there’s no way to get it back to the original routing without removing a bunch of other stuff (coolant lines etc.) so I had to do a little creative routing, but it’s in, all back together and brakes bled... 🙏 now back to the previously programmed pursuit of misfires...
Yikes! How does this brake line go pop? Is it rusted at some body fastener?
Old 08-29-2020, 07:12 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Today I attempted to rebuild the secondary air injection pump because it sounds like a shop vac when I start my car. Unfortunately this is another case where the early cars are “special” and I could get at the bearings to clean and lube them. Looks like I’ll order a used one instead.

I also took apart my steering wheel and replaced the worn out bracket that was causing my horn to honk intermittently. That went smoothly, at least.

You can see how off-center and worn out the mounting points are on the old one on the left.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 12:07 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by golock911
Yikes! How does this brake line go pop? Is it rusted at some body fastener?
about an inch behind the junction block just beneath the drivers side door. The hard line was pitted - I replaced the short one to the drivers side rear wheel a little over a year ago. I knew this one was coming so I had the new line on hand...
golock911 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:37 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 246 Likes on 174 Posts

about an inch behind the junction block just beneath the drivers side door. The hard line was pitted - I replaced the short one to the drivers side rear wheel a little over a year ago. I knew this one was coming so I had the new line on hand...

oh my goodness. Still kept pressure to the
front?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:24 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

It’s actually been over the last couple days/weeks (not today)... I’ve been having a problem with misfires when hot so it’s been a series of “potential fixes” followed by test drives.
I’m interested in what your misfires involved? I just experienced a random and intermittent misfire the other day while on a long trip. Pending code for misfire on 4, 5 and 6. Noticable hesitation at steady throttle, then came back to normal, then again, a few times. I stopped for maybe 30 mins, and it hasn’t done it since (including a 300 mile drive home).

On other note, I’m working on my UAOS install, and just about have it done
Old 08-30-2020, 09:55 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 428 Posts

Finally added some duct tape to the worn plastic caps on the centering journals to stop the top rail from rattling. I have been unsuccessful finding a source for only the plastic caps(like many before me) and am currently unwilling to buy the journal. Maybe I'll be annoyed enough when the duct tape wears out...

Old 08-30-2020, 09:57 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wsrgklt
Today I attempted to rebuild the secondary air injection pump because it sounds like a shop vac when I start my car. Unfortunately this is another case where the early cars are “special” and I could get at the bearings to clean and lube them. Looks like I’ll order a used one instead.

I also took apart my steering wheel and replaced the worn out bracket that was causing my horn to honk intermittently. That went smoothly, at least.

You can see how off-center and worn out the mounting points are on the old one on the left.
Mine is singing too. Ive been told it harmless but def annoying.
Where were you able to find one used?my concern is that It might sing too
Old 08-30-2020, 11:25 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

@Cityfisher do you have a 2000+ car? If so , you have a better chance to service it instead of replacing it. If you have a MY99 car then the part is $1,500 new and buying used is the best bet. There seem to be a number of dismantlers on EBay and elsewhere that sell used ones at $70-100. I worry the used part will be noisy too, but I could go through 10 of them and still be $500 ahead and this is a 5-10 swap of a non-critical part.
Cityfisher (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:26 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
I was actually going to do a video review on the CAE shifter soon, so that will give you a dynamic vantage.
Awesome! I’ll keep an eye out for it.

BTW, my console delete was very home made, its cardboard with black material glued on. I was thinking of using the setup as a template to make it out of aluminum with solid mounting and housing the window switches on it.
I’m wondering about relocating my window switches to the horseshoe, removing the double DIN radio, and just deleting the entire lower console.
I don’t think I‘ll go that extreme until I replace my seats.
Trying to decide which seats to get.
Since it will likely become a daily driver again once COVID is no longer a threat, and I start working again outside the house, I’m considering Recaro Sportster seats.

Here you go Tex
Current state of the rest of the interior
Looks really nice! (and light)

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 08-31-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:36 AM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wsrgklt
@Cityfisher do you have a 2000+ car? If so , you have a better chance to service it instead of replacing it. If you have a MY99 car then the part is $1,500 new and buying used is the best bet. There seem to be a number of dismantlers on EBay and elsewhere that sell used ones at $70-100. I worry the used part will be noisy too, but I could go through 10 of them and still be $500 ahead and this is a 5-10 swap of a non-critical part.
01 -- i ll have to search around to find a guide how to service it.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:15 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt1372
I was born and raised in the City and one of the most beautiful views in the WORLD is the driven across the GGB from north to south BUT that's a really short drive from San Rafel into SF to be worrying about the heater, fog lamps, etc. LOL!

You also have SO MANY other options going north (fires notwithstanding) including drives up Hwy 1 or around via Lucas Valley up towards Occidental and Guernville which I've enjoyed many times before.
Totally agree with you on the northern side of the bridge.

There is something fun, however, about cruising down Columbus Street, along the Embarcadero, and along Chrissy Field with the top down and no traffic to speak of!
The following 2 users liked this post by Woodman71:
JohnCA58 (09-01-2020), SoundnSpeed (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 608 Likes on 336 Posts

Bushing for the linkage connector on the Schnell kit popped out of the aluminum body (gold piece on ground). Should have back together with 997 kit tomorrow, with just the base attached feels pretty nice and smooth into each gear.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:38 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Setup an out of the way battery maintainer for my PC680.

Its tiny and needs all the help it can get, so I set this up to be fast and out of the way. Quick connect to the terminals. Keeps wires off the ground and the paint.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:17 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Setup an out of the way battery maintainer for my PC680.
Its tiny and needs all the help it can get, so I set this up to be fast and out of the way. Quick connect to the terminals. Keeps wires off the ground and the paint.
Do you have the master switch wired?

Old 08-31-2020, 11:30 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Do you have the master switch wired?
Yup, Kill is wired in and power removed whenever the car is going to sit for more than a couple hours. I'm not sure how long it would take to kill the battery - but would hazard a guess we're talking couple days max. In my experience - the PC680 is best kept on a maintainer regardless if there is a draw. IMO, they are pretty undersize for the application and need to be at very close to full power to work effectively.

I ran one on an Evo 8 and it was far less temperamental spinning the 4 Cylinder over, the Porsche though - she wants all the battery has to give.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?