Rear window regulator on cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 03:17 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Rear window regulator on cabrio

Has anyone had their rear window regulator on a cabrio break?

I just placed the hard top on my car and when putting up one of the rear windows heard the dreaded crunch.

Porsche parts sell for over $800 but I found this rebuilder on Ebay that will do it for less than $200:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-Porsc...haHJTc&vxp=mtr

Does anyone have experience with them or any other place where I can either buy a new part or get mine rebuilt?

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Has anyone had their rear window regulator on a cabrio break?

I just placed the hard top on my car and when putting up one of the rear windows heard the dreaded crunch.

Porsche parts sell for over $800 but I found this rebuilder on Ebay that will do it for less than $200:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-Porsc...haHJTc&vxp=mtr

Does anyone have experience with them or any other place where I can either buy a new part or get mine rebuilt?

Thanks!
I went through this on my cab. It’s a documented procedure, and I have some tips for you. I ended up taking the regulator assembly out, sent the assembly to Arizona for repair/rebuild (Power Windows Repair in Phoenix, AZ. Paul is a tech there and he owns a 911 and rebuilds maybe 2-3 per week for 911s).

It’s not the easiest job to remove the rear regulator on a Cab. On the other hand, now that I’ve done it once, I could easily and quickly do it again.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 09-26-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Whats the price range for one of these rebuilds?
Old 12-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by professorman
Whats the price range for one of these rebuilds?
It’s usually around $200 or so, and then shipping has to be paid, although they may have picked up the return shipping.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:12 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

What recommendations do you have for removal? I haven't found any documentation for it yet. I've done then main windows before and it wasn't too difficult but imagine there's less room in these smaller spaces so might take more effort.

Guess I'm not using the car for a while now.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

See if this link work for you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-in-a-cab.html
Old 12-24-2017, 10:50 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Thank you for the link!

How did you finally fix yours?

I thought this one would be easier but I guess I have my work cut out for me.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpena944
Thank you for the link!

How did you finally fix yours?

I thought this one would be easier but I guess I have my work cut out for me.
The entire regulator assembly has the following components: motor, module, gears, carrier, cables, pads. The module on mine was bad, but they still rebuilt the motor and cables because they wanted to make sure those components would last another 50,000 miles, etc.

The module on mine - the electronics - cannot be easily found or purchased separately. So I paid for a motor assembly that came with the module and gears (which I still have), and I swapped only the module and everything works fine.

I ended up spending nearly $380 in all, but could have easily spend 2-4x that cost with a new one installed by someone else.

Just give me a call if you want - PM me - and I’ll walk you through a couple of tips and tricks. For example, I removed all of the bolts from the convertible top assembly, and I had to wedge a gap to make room to pull out the regulator assembly. It was easiest to have the window in the down position.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:59 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

The entire regulator assembly has the following components: motor, module, gears, carrier, cables, pads. The module on mine was bad, but they still rebuilt the motor and cables because they wanted to make sure those components would last another 50,000 miles, etc.

The module on mine - the electronics - cannot be easily found or purchased separately. So I paid for a motor assembly that came with the module and gears (which I still have), and I swapped only the module and everything works fine.

I ended up spending nearly $380 in all, but could have easily spend 2-4x that cost with a new one installed by someone else.

Just give me a call if you want - PM me - and I’ll walk you through a couple of tips and tricks. For example, I removed all of the bolts from the convertible top assembly, and I had to wedge a gap to make room to pull out the regulator assembly. It was easiest to have the window in the down position.
Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been out of town and came back to the reality today that I need to get this done

I'll take it apart tonight and see what lies ahead for me and reach out to you after I see what I'm up against. Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:28 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok I need some help. I removed every bolt I can see except for those that hold the hydraulic assembly for the convertible top as I wasn't sure if those should be touched or not.

The problem is I have no idea where to go next. I can only pull the window about halfway up as it appears the regulator is pretty much destroyed so it won't go up any further. I have the convertible top about halfway up so not sure if this ideal but that's what I've read is a best practice.

What should I do now to remove this thing? I know I've seen mention of a bottom nut, not even sure where that thing is as I do have the rubber grommet underneath but not sure if I even have this positioned properly to get to it.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2018, 12:31 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Rubber grommet also doubles as the hole that allows access to the Bolt than holds the window regulator
I can see the rubber grommet is still plugged in at the very bottom. It has wires coming out of it. You can pull it out, being careful not to destroy any wires. With the grommet out, you can actually see the nut and you will need to likely use a 6” extension to get to it, or a long Allen.

Definitely check out the links on the other thread. There are diagram on those links and instructions that are helpful.

The pic I’m attaching shows the grommet

Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rubber grommet also doubles as the hole that allows access to the Bolt than holds the window regulator
I can see the rubber grommet is still plugged in at the very bottom. It has wires coming out of it. You can pull it out, being careful not to destroy any wires. With the grommet out, you can actually see the nut and you will need to likely use a 6” extension to get to it, or a long Allen.

Definitely check out the links on the other thread. There are diagram on those links and instructions that are helpful.

The pic I’m attaching shows the grommet

Got it! Since the wire was still coming out I was concerned about tugging too hard on it.

Does the window have to be all the way up or can it be in this halfway position? Is it best to pull it back down?

Thank you so much for helping along the way!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's out! Here's the big ugly beast that was quite difficult to wrestle from its resting place.

I'm not sure what is worse, working in a 100 degree garage in the summer or a 20 degree garage in the winter. Of course I never have these issues during milder temperatures.

In any case I have several nuts, bolts, and even a block of wood now sitting in my fender that I have to retrieve but at least I'm glad this thing is out. Now the challenge will be putting it all back together again and hoping it and my convertible top work again!

For those who are wondering I'm going to send it off to get rebuilt with the link I initially posted from eBay. It's outrageous that Porsche charges $800+ for these things new - there is nothing special to it except for it being so difficult to get to.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:06 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

That price is insanity. I thought you had to be mistaken but nope, if anything you're on the low end. The front window is $120. In-sanity.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:12 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Awesome, I’m glad you got it out. It’s not that easy to get out; it took me like 2 hours to figure it out. I hope the rebuild goes well. I agree, $700-$800 for the part is unbelievable. It just must be a rare part - coupes don’t have them, and other 911 variants probably have different Parts is my guess.

Quick Reply: Rear window regulator on cabrio