996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rear window regulator on cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 01:11 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
yes there are three adjustment, the bottom attachment bolt if you look it is adjustable thru a hole once installed, also look right above where the window mounts and two adjustments screw there for forward rearward adjustment, do all before putting the card back on. best way is close the door with sheet of paper between fron window and rear glass and should take a slight pull to remove the paper, another Idea I use to install the unit in is biuld a wood wedge about 8 inchs long and is 1/4 in. thick at -one end to 2 in. thich at the other end. 2x4 works.... the-n you can put the wedge between the convertible frame up front by the seat belt attachment and spread to make it much easier to remove and install the regulator. the guys in Arizona does great work. 1-480-570-5116 -
Thanks John that's useful information. The bottom attachment bolt looks like if screwed in or out would tilt the entire assembly, do you recommend attaching to the assembly before install and sliding into the slot, or lowering the assembly and then screwing in through the hole? If attaching before lowering that seems much easier because it may be difficult to line up to get bolt started when installed.

I saw two adjustment screws behind glass and didn't really look at them yet, they didn't seem accessible when glass is installed and the assembly mounted. I'll look again after the assembly is repaired, and I'll ask the guys in Arizona if they have tips on install and adjustment.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:08 AM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 227 Posts

I never removed the adjusting bolt from the frame, so yes install the bolt on the frame and install the asembly and then you can adjust threw the hole on the body. the two adjusting screw you will adjust while is all the way up and I used a 1/4 inch drive set to adjust.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:52 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Got the window lifter back from Power Window Repair in Phoenix AZ. It looks like three new parts; a metal wheel replacing the missing plastic one, a metal block replacing the plastic one, and a new cable. A little surprised the plastic drum wasn't replaced.

To get it in position I pried the convertible top mechanism an alarming 1 1/2" or so outwards with a wood wedge, removed the glass and lowered the glass mount about half way down, had the bolt at the bottom installed on the lift and slid it into the slot, then after the three attaching points were loosely connected installed the glass. Oh and don't forget to connect the wire harness on the bottom before installing or you get to take it all out again!

A big disadvantage of buying a new window lift is having to make the many adjustments which is daunting for someone not having done it before. Reusing my old regulator and the same glass I thought no adjustments would be needed. But upon install it was much taller than the door window, so the glass had to be taken back off and the two stops screwed down, then repeat about a half dozen times until windows were level. Because it was the same window lift and glass, and it didn't appear the repair company moved the window stops, I don't know why they needed to be adjusted but they did. And the Bentley manual says the jaws that hold the glass are tightened to 6 ft lbs.
The following 2 users liked this post by 996.2:
JohnCA58 (09-26-2021), Mike Murphy (09-26-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Hazmat1071
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 996.2
Got the window lifter back from Power Window Repair in Phoenix AZ. It looks like three new parts; a metal wheel replacing the missing plastic one, a metal block replacing the plastic one, and a new cable. A little surprised the plastic drum wasn't replaced.

To get it in position I pried the convertible top mechanism an alarming 1 1/2" or so outwards with a wood wedge, removed the glass and lowered the glass mount about half way down, had the bolt at the bottom installed on the lift and slid it into the slot, then after the three attaching points were loosely connected installed the glass. Oh and don't forget to connect the wire harness on the bottom before installing or you get to take it all out again!

A big disadvantage of buying a new window lift is having to make the many adjustments which is daunting for someone not having done it before. Reusing my old regulator and the same glass I thought no adjustments would be needed. But upon install it was much taller than the door window, so the glass had to be taken back off and the two stops screwed down, then repeat about a half dozen times until windows were level. Because it was the same window lift and glass, and it didn't appear the repair company moved the window stops, I don't know why they needed to be adjusted but they did. And the Bentley manual says the jaws that hold the glass are tightened to 6 ft lbs.
Thanks for the information! I repaired my rear 1/4 window regulator and put the glass back into the exact position as before. I realized afterwards that the glass is now not centered on the vinyl lip when fully closed. Is it just trial and error to get it back into position?

Quick Reply: Rear window regulator on cabrio