Sponsored by:

VF Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
Well, if someone wants to sponsor me, I will gladly put the Craigslist supercharger on mine and report back how it goes😜. Should I start a gofundme account or what?
i am darn tempted to buy that, bad timing for me
Old 10-25-2017, 11:28 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
The devil in supercharging is the tune. If the motor starts detonating the pressure inside is immense. It doesn't matter how tough or weak an engine is, it won't survive for long if it is detonating.

I supercharged a 928, I ran it a bit rich and removed some timing at the top end. Probably left some horsepower on the table but I wanted to be cautious.

The modes of failure for a 996 won't be affected much from boost, with the exception of early models that are more prone to head cracking and d chunking. Ims, bore scoring, cam chain tensioners will all fail whether it's boosted or not. Best line of defense if you are going to boost is make sure all these things are 100% and then make sure it's tuned right.
everything in terms of wear will happen at an accelerated rate. The Cracked rod designs won't help. APR rod bolts would be a must IMO - at the minimum. If your engine has 60k miles or more, adding a supercharger is a signing it's death certificate. Again, this is all my own opinion. I admit my opinion of this motor platform isn't a great one. I think it's a total POS.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:07 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

The rods are a valid point, thats not going to be a cheap or simple fix either, might as well do the whole engine then ... ughhh its easier to just sell the car and buy a turbo
Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
ughhh its easier to just sell the car and buy a turbo
Yup. One of my biggest regrets is not waiting another couple years and saved the difference for a turbo.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:12 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Yup. One of my biggest regrets is not waiting another couple years and saved the difference for a turbo.

i was planning to keep my C2 for a few years and then sell it for a turbo but now I want both... my wife on the other hand LOL

Quick Reply: VF Supercharger