Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Spoiler raising at speed video and More Drone footage...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:56 AM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spoiler raising at speed video and More Drone footage...

Made a magnetic goPro mount and finally caught my spoiler raising and lowering at speed today...for some reason that really makes my smile. Also threw in a little drone footage at the end...including a little 996 action.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
Made a magnetic goPro mount and finally caught my spoiler raising and lowering at speed today...for some reason that really makes my smile. Also threw in a little drone footage at the end...including a little 996 action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxFyUj0KtsE
Schweet! I can say with confidence that you've scratched many a itch with this video
Old 08-25-2017, 08:27 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent job. You said it best, I also smiled seeing it raise and lower.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2017, 10:17 AM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Originally Posted by dporto
Schweet! I can say with confidence that you've scratched many a itch with this video
ha ha. Thanks.

Originally Posted by gobs
Excellent job. You said it best, I also smiled seeing it raise and lower.
Thanks
It's the little things in life that are best.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:59 AM
jgm911t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, Thanks. I had a 986 Boxster for 5 years and it drove me crazy that I could never see the spoiler go up. Always wished there was an indicator to tell it was up or down. I am happy that I can see the top of the spoiler on my C2 996 when it comes up. I tell my wife all the time that I smile every time I see the spoiler come up. The video of the spoiler coming up is awesome.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:44 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Great job putting the video together!
Old 08-26-2017, 12:26 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Nice vid!

Also, I agreee with jgm, bugs the crap out of me that I can't tell if the spoiler is up on my Boxster.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 2,161 Posts

Nice video !! Well done, I must say I like the functionality of the dynamic spoiler and the fact that Pinky Lao fought hard with the powers that be at Porsche to keep the function from being axed by the accountants, that said I wished they had put it in the program to go back up when parked, I really like the silhouette when up and the look when parked (yea I know you can use the manual button to raise it, but it's just not the same). I just disabled mine in the program by coding it to fixed spoiler << just personal preference.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:38 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Thanks very much guys! Had a great time putting this one together. That's cool that you can see the spoiler in the coupe.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Mdnyte
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep asking my wife to look behind and check if its actually going up and down or not...thanks for sharing!!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Nice video !! Well done, I must say I like the functionality of the dynamic spoiler and the fact that Pinky Lao fought hard with the powers that be at Porsche to keep the function from being axed by the accountants, that said I wished they had put it in the program to go back up when parked, I really like the silhouette when up and the look when parked (yea I know you can use the manual button to raise it, but it's just not the same). I just disabled mine in the program by coding it to fixed spoiler << just personal preference.
Wait, if you just used the button to put it up, doesn't it stay up? I guess I never really considered that question.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 2,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Wait, if you just used the button to put it up, doesn't it stay up? I guess I never really considered that question.
It only stays up until the next down command, then goes back into automatic function.

There is really no advantage to the down position, unless you like the looks of the car better with the spoiler down, as evidently the designer Pinky Lao did.

The up position reduces lift on the rear of the car, reduces drag for more fuel mileage and increased top speed, induces more air into the engine compartment for cooling, induces more air into the engine for combustion.

Like I said , as a personal preference I like the looks with the spoiler up, I gave up the coolness of having the dynamic function, opting for the convenience of not having to continually put the spoiler up.

Quick Reply: Spoiler raising at speed video and More Drone footage...