New 996, been sitting for 5 years!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by surfinglbi23
UPDATE - and not a good one

So I got the car cranking over a little harder and its making some awful noises. I drained the oil and it has a lot of metal in it. Put a scope through the spark plug hole in 2 cylinders and the walls are scored badly. Basically the engine is toast. I'm not sure if the IMS let go or something else but this engine won't run with the scored walls.

So - what are my options going forward? I don't want to rebuild the current block, I am not sure I know enough about these motors to try it.

Used motor? Reman? Swap in something different?
Price an MB motorsports engine out. They are one of the best deals going with a good rep for quality. Regardless of what you read on here (his politics are frowned upon) his engines are fine. A couple local ones here running around trouble free.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

UPDATE - and not a good one

So I got the car cranking over a little harder and its making some awful noises. I drained the oil and it has a lot of metal in it. Put a scope through the spark plug hole in 2 cylinders and the walls are scored badly. Basically the engine is toast. I'm not sure if the IMS let go or something else but this engine won't run with the scored walls.

So - what are my options going forward? I don't want to rebuild the current block, I am not sure I know enough about these motors to try it.

Used motor? Reman? Swap in something different?
This isn't a bad price for a rebuilt motor, they will re-sleeve to fix your scored bores and use JE pistons:

At $8500 plus the $5000 you spent you'll have a $13500 911 with a 'new' motor, that's pretty good in my book!

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-r...1-p-12048.aspx
Old 07-19-2017, 05:21 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm into the car for $6000 and then shipping fees, new battery etc probably close to $7000 for a round number.

I hate parting cars out it's a pain and bad moto karma IMO.

I love the idea of that Vertex motor are they good quality products? For only a bit more than a used engine.

Lots of great suggestions here keep them coming I'll check in tomorrow after I sleep on it!
Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
This isn't a bad price for a rebuilt motor, they will re-sleeve to fix your scored bores and use JE pistons:

At $8500 plus the $5000 you spent you'll have a $13500 911 with a 'new' motor, that's pretty good in my book!

https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-r...1-p-12048.aspx
that's if the core he sends in is good.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

I'm into the car for $6000 and then shipping fees, new battery etc probably close to $7000 for a round number.

I hate parting cars out it's a pain and bad moto karma IMO.

I love the idea of that Vertex motor are they good quality products? For only a bit more than a used engine.

Lots of great suggestions here keep them coming I'll check in tomorrow after I sleep on it!
Actually after reading around on those steel lined m96 motors I'm not so sure, you may want to research yourself a bunch.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Please go here https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post14334932 and ad yourself to the poll.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:31 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your cheapest option is likely to sell and get one that runs.

http://stonegateautosales.com/?vehic...tuses=for-sale

I've never dealt with these guys, but I recall they buy rollers and sell cars repaired by Flat Six. No coupes, but they have a cab in stock for $16.5
Old 07-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Dennis "N" SC
Instructor

I would get a dozen of these?
https://www.vertexauto.com/porsche-9...4-p-12049.aspx
Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

So these engines look easy to drop. My problem is that I have an existing no start condition which may or may not just be the engine. Keep in mind the car has been sitting for years.

I'm not sure about a used engine. In the muscle car world I could buy a nice long block and build it up for $3k. Here my options look a lot more limited! I'm interested in either biting the bullet and dropping in a new motor or just cutting bait and moving on.

Any decent tutorials on dropping these motors? Anything else to look for/do/fix during the swap?

By the way, ive swapped motors in the past but only American V8s so this would be my first flat 6.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:31 PM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My IMS went south and bought Vertex reman engine. No complaints 16 months and counting...
Good luck whatever direction you choose.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:11 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

So these engines look easy to drop. My problem is that I have an existing no start condition which may or may not just be the engine. Keep in mind the car has been sitting for years.

I'm not sure about a used engine. In the muscle car world I could buy a nice long block and build it up for $3k. Here my options look a lot more limited! I'm interested in either biting the bullet and dropping in a new motor or just cutting bait and moving on.

Any decent tutorials on dropping these motors? Anything else to look for/do/fix during the swap?

By the way, ive swapped motors in the past but only American V8s so this would be my first flat 6.
From what I understand a lot of people have said its not bad to drop the motor in these cars, depends on your garage space etc and tools available.

I dropped my tranny using basic jacks/jackstands and it was a little hairy in my crappy old open garage but I did it.
Some kind of decent car lift would make things MUCH easier.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:12 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4911
My IMS went south and bought Vertex reman engine. No complaints 16 months and counting...
Good luck whatever direction you choose.
Interesting, how many miles on it etc? really mixed reviews of m96's with steel liners online. Maybe a lot of them are just badly put together so they get a bad rep?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Cut bait. LOTS of nice running cars out there....
Old 07-20-2017, 03:40 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a 3.4l??

If the cyl heads are ok, I would buy new short block. Have seen those as low as 4500usd, not sure if you can get these that cheap.
Autoatlanta has those for 6300usd.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:48 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Where to start?!!! The engine drop is the least of your worries - it's a pretty simple, albeit fiddly process. Get the car up at least 25" from the oil pan to the floor (depends also on the height of whatever it is you're going to roll the engine out from under the car on - I used a hydraulic table and a transmission jack - I'm pretty sure the table is a bout 4-5" high itself). It seems that parts for these cars add up in increments of thousands fairly quickly. Research is your friend. If you add up the price for parts and figure in the extra time for DIY labor (the first time you do it will take you much longer to label and document what you're doing - if you don't, the chances of making big/expensive mistakes multiply exponentially) you may decide to have it done by a pro (research them as well). Whatever you decide, I wish you luck and good fortune!

Quick Reply: New 996, been sitting for 5 years!