Sponsored by:

Much Smoke on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Much Smoke on passenger side

Noticed today white (no blue in it) smoke coming out of passenger side pipe.
It was a cloud of smoke so that i could see it in the rear mirror and it did not stop for at least 5 minutes.
After 80 miles no smoke anymore. Boost 0.8, no CEL, Full oil pressure, Full pull. No oil under the car as far as one can see.

I have had the 30k mls. (45k km) service done at RUF here in germany 2K mls. / 1-2 month ago.

On my parking wall there is a black spot from the passenger pipe.
No spot and no smoke from driver side.

Could that be the oil filter?
Shouldnt RUF know how to change the oil filter?

How much should i pay at porsche for finding the reason? (labour hours)

What should/can i take a look at first?

Any advice is appreciated - i do not trust the guys at local porsche dealer so i would like to have some knowledge in before.
On the phone 2 persons told me independently that it could be a loss of water from the cooling circuit!!! I told them that it is a 993 Turbo...
Old 08-26-2003, 05:12 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could be an overfill of the oil or possibly one of the old 993 filters without the correct valving for the turbo. I'm betting on overfill and it quit smoking when it used up the excess oil. I'd ignore it if it doesn't smoke any more and be sure they don't overfill at the next change.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this page out:

http://www.993faq.com/archives/cat_engine.html#000310

And since you are overseas, our "passenger" sides are switched!

The short answer is, don't worry. It's an easily fixed problem and there was no long harm done to your engine. Feel free to email me more if you have more questions.

Also, if you do a search on this board and the 993 board for "smoking turbo", you'll find a lot ( mostly mine ) responses.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:23 AM
Stummel
Pro

Thanx Jeff,

i did the search for 'smoke' not 'smoking' but had some hits.

My passenger side is on the right viewed from the rear - i think its the same for us, isnt it?

That was confusing me, because the smoke "should" come out of the left side and for me it is the right side with zero smoke on the left.

An overfill should have smoked earlier and not after 2k mls i think.

Whatever - will follow the steps on the faq and hope the best.

A bad turbo would be a good starting point for some upgrades
Old 08-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Pete K
Pro

Stummel,
When I had the smoking problem right after an oil change it was smoking bad out of both sides. Change the filters to the correct Porsche part and the Problem went away. Note: It took a few days for it all to clear up.

Pete
Old 09-02-2003, 01:24 PM
kurtv
Addict
Rennlist Member

One other thing to check is the oil filler cap itself. Once I thought I had the cap secured on my 993 tt. A sharp right corner allowed oil to spill from the filler tube and drip onto the engine. Copious amounts of white smoke resulted.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Stummel
Pro

Hmm, car smoked only once. Now theres only the standard startup 2 seconds smoke and after that everything seems to be fine.

But yesterday on startup i heard the turbo on the right side making the typical turbo whistle sound. I never had this on startup. And it seems to me that the turbo whistle sound is more noticeable (i.e. louder) when driving hard than it used to be.
Any comments on this?

TIA,

Stefan
Old 09-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Stummel;

Sounds like wheel rub, you should not hear ANY whistle from the turbo at start up, unless you have a hose blown off, and or a crack in your turbo to intercooler hose. However, if you hear a mechanical high pitch squeel=wheel rub, because the turbo is not making boost at idle.... Pull off you intake boot to your turbo and see if oil is present and feel the shaft for play, I'd grab a mirror and look inside and see if the compressor wheel is hitting the housing, (NOT GOOD)

Quick Reply: Much Smoke on passenger side