Advice on Long Distance Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 02:21 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Long Distance Purchase

I need some advice from you knowledgeable folks on purchasing a vehicle long distance from a private party.
Let me level set…this is my first purchase in North America from a private party and not from a car dealer – also this is my first, high dollar value vehicle purchase.
As I have been saving for a while for this car, I really want to ensure I don’t get burned –this will probably be my one chance to buy the car of my dreams (or so my wife says).

I am very interested in a Black on Black 1997 993 TT S for sale by another Rennlister (thxs for pointing it out Jeff), he seems like a great guy and we almost have the deal finalized.
Has anyone seen this car, or can offer any comments on it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=82495

Additionally, can anyone offer any advice for this type of purchase.
I intend to have an East Coast Porsche shop in MA do a PPI of the vehicle.
Also, if this inspection goes well I intend to fly to the East Coast to view it in person.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

- james
Old 09-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 548 Posts

BABarcus:

Check the search function as this has been discussed several times before. My input:

a) have a fellow rennlister have a look at the car so you know you're not wasting your time (in this case, I personally think you're not wasting your time)
b) do a PPI at a good PO- dealer or independent shop that that car was NOT serviced at. Also have it checked for any potential repainting.
c) If the PPI checks out, fly out with your cashier's check and and get ready for the road trip of your life

I would highly recommend to add the car to your car insurance policy right when you buy it. You need to check with your local DMV as to regulations for temporary plates if you're going to drive it accross. There are several threads about transportation options if you decide not to drive yourself.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2003, 03:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Where are you getting the inspection done? I would recommend European Performance Engineering in Natick (right outside Boston)... Ask for Jerry.. If you call, tell Jerry that Bob Brooks told you to call.

I don't know what type of advice you are looking for. It is a rare car, beautiful, and if it checks out and you want it, buy it. If you want specific advice on the purchase transaction, shipping, etc. then I am sure you will get answers to any of your questions.

Good luck. It looks like a beautiful car....
Old 09-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also might want to do some searches on this board and the 993 board under Bobby's username. Although it's nothing conclusive, it just might help you get a better sense of the seller.

I've seen that car in person before and it's a great car. I hope that it works out for both parties!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:21 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

EPE has a fantastic reputation here.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:27 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

One more thing James, if you buy the car you are required to move down to the Bay Area. You can't keep a nice car like that up in Seattle.....
Old 09-04-2003, 05:52 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback - sorry if I seem overly cautious, but this is a very big purchase for me and I can't afford to mess it up.
Bob I am sure my wife would much prefer the Bay Area weather - we are both from South Africa and miss the sun, especially during the nasty Seattle winters...got space in your Garage

Regards

- james
Old 09-05-2003, 02:03 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

James,

The 993 ttS is a phenomenal car. Congratulations for getting such a fine ride. I'm absolutely green with envy. Make sure you have your camera with you on the trip east.

CP

Quick Reply: Advice on Long Distance Purchase