Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY removable paint - Dip'ed my car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default DIY removable paint - Dip'ed my car!

I was thinking of getting my cf pieces painted body colour. Then I found out about this PlastiDip stuff. Did the regular internet research and decided to do the painting myself... (look up Dipyourcar.com)
Pretty neat stuff, fairly easily removable, protects paint. Learned a lot about what needs to be masked off and what doesn't. Which areas needed extra coats for more durability. Stuffing rope under trim around windows so some paint gets under the trim. Opening the door while paint is wet so that they don't get glued closed with paint. Masking off felt around sunroof so it will open... Wanted to put stripes on which made things more complicated - how to mask/when to pull the tape without lifting the paint underneath. Prep is important as with painting anything and the PlastiDip is pretty forgivable with respect to technique. Tuned out okay, hopefully it will last a season or two then I will change colour again, and I know I can do a better job/quicker.
I also put hood pins in which was a little bit of a pain getting the holes to line up etc.
Anyhoo here are some pics. Had fun doing this. Respirator is important as is a good paint gun. The one they sell on the site didn't last very long/started dripping which was a pain and I just went out and bought another gun which worked much better.
Attached Images           
Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 AM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Not my color choices, but that looks incredible... Very well done.

Please post back when taking it off, I would love to see how easy it really is.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 770
Wow! Not my color choices, but that looks incredible... Very well done.
Thanx.
I didn't want to do the regular flat black thing and wanted something sort of in keeping with the original colour since I wasn't sure if any of the original colour would show up as lines where masked off (ie. painting a white car black could be problematic.). I now know that's not that much of a problem. I didn't really want to do off the shelf colours (not that there's much choice), so I mixed 3 cans of red and 1 of black... I already know what I'm going to do next time - I'm mixing 3 cans of blue with maybe 1/2 can of black!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 452 Likes on 291 Posts

Interesting project. How hard is it to get all that Plastidip off when you want to go back to the original paint?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Interesting project. How hard is it to get all that Plastidip off when you want to go back to the original paint?
It was really easy getting it off trim. I removed part of it off the tail since I had to redo some of it and it was pretty straight forward. It might get a little harder once the material is on the car for the year or two, don't know. It is easier to take off once you have 5 + coats since it doesn't break as you are peeling it. It seemed much easier to take off than the clear wrap (xpel) I had on the hood/front fenders/doors that I took off prior to painting. If you watch any of the Youtube videos, it's pretty much like they demonstrate.

I think I will paint some numbers on the doors so that I don't need to keep making numbers when I go to the track. I suppose I can paint numbers on the windows but painted numbers on the doors would look more serious.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

I admire the size of your *********.............
Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car condom.....interesting.

Stuff is very cool. Fun to play with. But don't let him fool you it took skill and a lot of time to get those results.
Would be a colorful front protector for track days more interesting than the 3m paint defender
ha
Old 11-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

car looks really good in person.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

I think it is sweet and what a unique way to protect the original paint from all the crap it gets bombarded with at the track!

Love all your household DIY projects. Keep'em coming.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Great stuff! I have been using the product on wheels for a few years now - seems to work great, but have not removed the product except for testing. Since you pretty well exclusively track your car, it looks like a great way to protect the car, and it can be fixed up with some more spray if needed - great idea!

Did you buy it by the gallon and mix up a batch? use a HVLP gun or ?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the numbers on the door would look great. If you were to guess how much time did you have in it? Nice work by the way.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Did you buy it by the gallon and mix up a batch? use a HVLP gun or ?
Yup hvlp, Wagner , worked really well. Bought 3 gallons of red and two of black. I still have a gallon and a half of the maroon mix and half gallon of the black to play with/use for 'repairs'.

I spent an hour or two in the evenings the week prior prep'ing/reading and figuring out what my sequence of events should be and spent sat/Sunday spraying. Most of the time is for paint to dry between coats. And I fussed about with the hood pins too. I'll be much quicker next time since I probably didn't need to do a lot of the masking and such.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Pretty cool and nice job, look fwd to seeing it in person!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Look damnit! I don't need any more help thinking of ways to spend money on my car. Nice job.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:06 AM
lopro
Banned

is there a vent on the front bumper by the side of the wheel arch>???

that looks like some functional aero. love it. great choice of aero.

maybe you posted it already but I missed it possibly - where did you source the panels you bought?

getty? gtracing or shaw? Crawford?

Quick Reply: DIY removable paint - Dip'ed my car!