Sponsored by:

Current market

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by UserA
So what is my 70K mile 96 993TT worth with a full service history, new turbos/Check Valves/UMW Full 996 style oil return lines in perfect Polar Silver?
I believe it will sell around $50K. I bought this within 24hrs. It is not perfect but I always like little projects.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...the-993tt.html
Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I believe it will sell around $50K. I bought this within 24hrs. It is not perfect but I always like little projects.

So you paid $53k for an over 90,000 mile car and you think he can only get $50k for his 70,000 mile car?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much $$$ are you willing to dump into your little project?

Add that to your $53k and you might be unpleasantly surprised how much less mileage you could have bought
Old 05-11-2012, 12:39 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Hmmm.....that means my sub 5k mile TT S special wishes speed yellow car is worth (wait for it)...
Oh Hell Jamie, don't be so modest. Think of the provenience of it having once been yours! It just went up to $10MM
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradford
So you paid $53k for an over 90,000 mile car and you think he can only get $50k for his 70,000 mile car?
Originally Posted by IamSMC
How much $$$ are you willing to dump into your little project?

Add that to your $53k and you might be unpleasantly surprised how much less mileage you could have bought
Actually, I only had to replace a toe link because it was worn and an alignment. I do have to fix a door check and it will involve body work. Also I replaced a clear turn signal because a rock cracked it the other day.

How much would the 70K mile turbo need in maintenance that my car have already had below in my $53 price with sportseats? I can sell the Fiske wheels and sportseats netting $48 to 49K cost on this car easily. 20K miles is nothing if maintained and serviced properly since it is 55K past collector mileage at 70K miles. Maintenance and service records on any 993 turbo past 50-60K miles is more important than mileage IMHO.

BTW, any particular car is worth only as much as a buyer is willing to pay for it. Another local buyer offer the seller of my car an extra $1K when I already had a deposit on it. It may be BS or not but I like to think that there was more than one person who agreed with my assessment. My car is bone dry and pulls like a freight train with 2-4% leak down across the board.

5k miles on top end rebuild by former owner (Mark D from FD Motorsports)
New Clutch / LWF
New turbos (rebuilt)
RS mounts
Alcantara covered 3 spoke steering wheel
Alcantara covered eBrake Handle
Alcantara covered shift ****
Tarret kinematic toe links
new tie rod ends
PSS9 Suspension
Original seats + Hardbacks Sportseats
6k sound system and ipod hookup - (Not worth that much to me but it did cost a pretty penny.)
200 cell sport cats
Fister turbo mufflers
SSK and shift rod
Ruf wide oval tips
Fiske FM10 wheels in perfect condition
RUF strut brace
Aluminum pedals
Rennline door pulls
Billet aluminum lower valve covers
new front rotors and pads (3k miles ago)

Forgot to add that there is a rebuilt diff within the past 5K miles I heard. Will have verify that.

Last edited by chsu74; 05-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

imo...for the big pop in value, the turbo is 15-20 years away from being a highly coveted collectable

and at that point...mileage/condition won't matter...as there probably won't be more than a handful left in a time capsule.

like most high end classic collectables...they will be restored from ground up.

so if you're in it for an 'investment'..which i am not...drive it all you want now and sell it in 15+years...:-)

i guarantee you when you're on you're death bed...you won't remember how much your turbo is worth...but rather the smiles from all the miles.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:11 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Actually, I only had to replace a toe link because it was worn and an alignment. I do have to fix a door check and it will involve body work. Also I replaced a clear turn signal because a rock cracked it the other day.

How much would the 70K mile turbo need in maintenance that my car have already had below in my $53 price with sportseats? I can sell the Fiske wheels and sportseats netting $48 to 49K cost on this car easily. 20K miles is nothing if maintained and serviced properly since it is 55K past collector mileage at 70K miles. Maintenance and service records on any 993 turbo past 50-60K miles is more important than mileage IMHO.

BTW, any particular car is worth only as much as a buyer is willing to pay for it. Another local buyer offer the seller of my car an extra $1K when I already had a deposit on it. It may be BS or not but I like to think that there was more than one person who agreed with my assessment. My car is bone dry and pulls like a freight train with 2-4% leak down across the board.

5k miles on top end rebuild by former owner (Mark D from FD Motorsports)
New Clutch / LWF
New turbos (rebuilt)
RS mounts
Alcantara covered 3 spoke steering wheel
Alcantara covered eBrake Handle
Alcantara covered shift ****
Tarret kinematic toe links
new tie rod ends
PSS9 Suspension
Original seats + Hardbacks Sportseats
6k sound system and ipod hookup - (Not worth that much to me but it did cost a pretty penny.)
200 cell sport cats
Fister turbo mufflers
SSK and shift rod
Ruf wide oval tips
Fiske FM10 wheels in perfect condition
RUF strut brace
Aluminum pedals
Rennline door pulls
Billet aluminum lower valve covers
new front rotors and pads (3k miles ago)

Forgot to add that there is a rebuilt diff within the past 5K miles I heard. Will have verify that.
As you can see, the higher mileage had a big impact on your car's value

And the "mods" appear to be worth only "10 cents on the dollar"
Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

OK some ramblings now from a messed up car guy.......because I have driven my 993tt 150 miles in the four months I have owned it. I sometimes ask myself "what the heck was I thinking" in buying this thing because as much as I love it - and respect it - I want a track car that I can drive to the grocery store once in a while...or give my son to use when it happens to be in the laneway blocking my wife's Avant he usually drives that is parked in the garage. So I must admit I consider getting a GTR OR another GT3 OR something more useable that we can drive all year round for the entire family...so when I am about to post a 'for sale' thread on my 993tt - I simply can't type it. Weird the hold this thing has on me...and very little to do with money actually. There is not a car that you chalk up against the 993tt as it is still the sexiest car on the street for under $ 100K - bar none...and I can't think of a car that has the pedigree that will take it off that distinction in the future???.. If my 997tt and 993tt are in the laneway, I will choose to drive the 993tt every time....and by the way...I don't drive the 997tt either. Next step for me is to simplify my garage over the coming years with a sport sedan dd, 991tt next year - and use my pick up for the cottage and rougher stuff. Actually considering putting snows on the next 991! - but then I have a have a Cayenne Turbo that runs well in the snow...oh vey ....and BTW, I shouldn't be spendig all this dough on all these cars - its stupid.... Man am I depressed.......
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IamSMC
As you can see, the higher mileage had a big impact on your car's value

And the "mods" appear to be worth only "10 cents on the dollar"
I am well aware of that and believe quadcammer also mentioned it a few pages ago. I am very happy that I only paid $0.10 on the dollar to be able to enjoy this car's mods and maintenance costs (including top end and rebuilt turbos) to date. Why pay full price? Its a disposable used toy with a lower cost per mile ownership to me and I don't think about mileage when I grab the key to this car ever.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:33 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

If my 997tt and 993tt are in the laneway, I will choose to drive the 993tt every time....and by the way...I don't drive the 997tt either. Next step for me is to simplify my garage over the coming years with a sport sedan dd, 991tt next year - and use my pick up for the cottage and rougher stuff. Actually considering putting snows on the next 991! - but then I have a have a Cayenne Turbo that runs well in the snow...oh vey ....and BTW, I shouldn't be spendig all this dough on all these cars - its stupid.... Man am I depressed.......
man your really roughin huh? things could be worse
Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
man your really roughin huh? things could be worse
And that's the problem Sebastien - I should get rid of a two of them and pay tuition for the kids or top up my retirement savings plan - but I just friggen can't...I am crazy over these cars ...it's a disease...and as you know that Horizon Blue colour is pretty special.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I should get rid of a two of them and pay tuition for the kids or top up my retirement savings plan
Good point, as someone who works in wealth management my advise would be to max out the retirement plans either individual or employer, then allocate 50% of the remaining funds to cars and toys and the other 50% to the kids college savings, the kids will have grants, loans, scholarships, financial aid etc. none of which exist for retirement, but what do people do in retirmenet they play golf, pursue hobbies, travel etc. you already have your toys, so you'll have no problem keeping yourself busy when you decided its time to stop working, just a little unbiased advise.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Even more expensive up here in Canada. There is like new wave of demand for 993s and of course the TT is at the top of the price range.

http://www.weissach.com/auto/detail/...d=1496&tp=auto

http://www.weissach.com/auto/detail/...d=1537&tp=auto
Wow! Segal just sold a yellow S for $155K and I thought he was at the top of the market. $199 is insane....
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Wow! Segal just sold a yellow S for $155K and I thought he was at the top of the market. $199 is insane....
A few factors - the car is in Vancouver, Canada, which automatically adds a premium, and it's Weissach - which automatically adds a premium.

Vancouver has a disproportional share of wealthy people, primarily from Asia, that have immigrated into the city, and many would not blink twice at dropping $200,000 for a car for their 17 year old son. We have lots of reports of stupid driving stunts, and several times the "adults" driving still had their learner's licenses.

An apartment in the areas where these wealthy people like to live starts at $600,000 for a hovel, and crap houses on a 33' lot are known to go for $2M and above. It's pretty insane right now.

So, Weissach is typically at the top of the range, they will ask $199,000 FIRM, and over time, they are likely to get it. Amazing.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I picked mine up today. 1996 midnite on blue/grey int, lots supple leather, a few minor imperfections, clean ppi,1 owner, 32k miles. Asking 79, in my driveway~73k all in.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Current market