Sponsored by:

Current market

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Surgeon, congrats. Midnight Blue Metallic is a great color. Almost bought it twice.
I did buy it twice and never regretted it - a gorgeous color that ranges from almost black to purple and every color in between.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I luv it, I've had two mn cars myself. Since I'm from KC anyway, it's really a Royals color combo!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
A few factors - the car is in Vancouver, Canada, which automatically adds a premium, and it's Weissach - which automatically adds a premium.

Vancouver has a disproportional share of wealthy people, primarily from Asia, that have immigrated into the city, and many would not blink twice at dropping $200,000 for a car for their 17 year old son. We have lots of reports of stupid driving stunts, and several times the "adults" driving still had their learner's licenses.

An apartment in the areas where these wealthy people like to live starts at $600,000 for a hovel, and crap houses on a 33' lot are known to go for $2M and above. It's pretty insane right now.

So, Weissach is typically at the top of the range, they will ask $199,000 FIRM, and over time, they are likely to get it. Amazing.

Cheers,

Mike
I'm not buyin' that. Rich young Asians don't want 16 year old cars. Toronto has 5X the population of Vancouver and way more new and old wealth - the latter lusting after classics. See http://www.yorkvilleexotics.com/cars.php. Cars are cheap and easy to ship around so there shouldn't really be much of a regional difference.

Keep your eye on it. I bet it goes for under $165K or sits there indefinitely.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Doc did you keep the 930?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Vancouver has 2x the chinese population by percentage than Toronto (19% vs. 10.5%) - but you may be right, most rich asian kids would not like our old 911's - except perhaps a Turbo S - that might crank them. Most of the cars they drive are new Porsches, Ferrari's, Lamborghini, etc. I do not know the typical purchase profile for Weissach, but I only know what I have seen here in Vancouver. One incident stands out - in a Audi dealership, where my friend witnessed a young asian whining to his dad that "there is no way he would drive a POS Lamborghini- I want the R8!".

The car is likely on consignment, and if it drops, I doubt if they will advertise it - Weissach does not like to publish selling prices.

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I'm not buyin' that. Rich young Asians don't want 16 year old cars. Toronto has 5X the population of Vancouver and way more new and old wealth - the latter lusting after classics. See http://www.yorkvilleexotics.com/cars.php. Cars are cheap and easy to ship around so there shouldn't really be much of a regional difference.

Keep your eye on it. I bet it goes for under $165K or sits there indefinitely.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Vancouver has 2x the chinese population by percentage than Toronto (19% vs. 10.5%) - but you may be right, most rich asian kids would not like our old 911's - except perhaps a Turbo S - that might crank them. Most of the cars they drive are new Porsches, Ferrari's, Lamborghini, etc. I do not know the typical purchase profile for Weissach, but I only know what I have seen here in Vancouver. One incident stands out - in a Audi dealership, where my friend witnessed a young asian whining to his dad that "there is no way he would drive a POS Lamborghini- I want the R8!".

The car is likely on consignment, and if it drops, I doubt if they will advertise it - Weissach does not like to publish selling prices.
One of the sales guy told me a lot of their cars are also shipped out internationally or to other areas in North America. You will also notice a lot of their cars are sold/traded back to them, therefore they def have decent customer base that continues to buy/lease different cars from them.

Those asian kids love brand new cars with hi-tech gadgets in them. Keep in mind vehicles are significantly cheaper that what they would pay in Asia, so it all appears like a super deal to the parents. Regardless totally spoiled either way if your issue is choosing a R8 or Lambo.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Yep, the slant is a keeper for now.
I'm actually using the 993 as a dd. I intentionally got a low mile car with a little roughness around the edges.
it's great. I typically dd all of my p cars.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I typically dd all of my p cars.
good man now go take some side by side pics of the two
Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yep, the slant is a keeper for now.
I'm actually using the 993 as a dd. I intentionally got a low mile car with a little roughness around the edges.
it's great. I typically dd all of my p cars.
Congrats Chris.

The 993TT is the one car I own that I won't ever sell.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I've been looking for awhile. Tried to buy my friends blk/blk 97 five times...he will never sell.
I've done the 100k DD thing, no more.
The 997tt was a great car, should have kept it, the 997tts was way overpriced and boring.
I wanted something I could drive everyday (unlike the slant), not worry too much, hence I wanted a low mile nice/non concourse car...which is what I got.
Drives great. Former owner was a pca guy in NC, trading emails w him, car was always well cared for, etc.
I'll do a pic later, right now the wife is fuming that I bought two "old cars".
c

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 05-17-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 AM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
later, right now the wife is fuming that I bought two "old cars".
c
Tell her that buying two "old cars" is better than keeping two young mistresses!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hate to burst the stereotype balloon, but not all Asians are rich. Mike and I both have Asian wives, and last time I checked, he and I both still have to work. I keep accusing her of false advertising and whining that I want a Lambo too, to absolutely no avail
Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 536 Posts

I want an Asian wife too, but my Irish wife won't let me have one
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

^^Classic
Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Marshy