Sponsored by:

993tt 964 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 993tt 964 Turbo

Hi Guys - I'm starting my hunt for a new toy. Coming from the land of the Audi Turbo Quattro Coupe (with a mile long list of mods/upgrades including a motor swap, done mostly in my garage) and looking to get either a 964 Turbo (3.3) or 993tt. I'll be cross posting to both forums to get both sides input.

What are your thoughts on 964 Turbo vs 993tt?

Here's my take: (and numerous questions)

Until recently I've had my heart set on a 993tt: Motronic (coming from Audi turbos with CIS (prior to my motor swap to a Motronic engine), AWD, and super sexy shape. But recently I've gotten very into the idea of a 964 Turbo because they do look _awesome_ and are a little more reasonably priced. I'm wondering if I can do without Motronic and awd. By the way I'm looking for a car to drive. Not fluff n buff. I'm ok with some mileage on the odo assuming very well maintained. How bad are the CIS gremlins on the 964 Turbos? Stock is what? 330 hp? I'd want closer to 400. Is there a tried true set of mods that reliably get there? How about rear wheel drive - being in Colorado I've been an quattro/awd guy forever. How hard is it to get in trouble with a 400 hp 964 T? (Yes I would do a few DE's to get to really know the car).

How is parts availabilty with 964 vs 993?

How many miles, in general, til a 964 T engine needs a rebuild? 993tt?

How difficult are they to work on?

In your opinion what are the pro's & cons of each car.

How livable is the car on an everyday basis? - I do not intend to drive it every day - but it won't be a Sunday driver. Work sometimes, to the store, to nowhere...

I guess I've rambled on enough for now - thanks in advance!

Brandon
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

wow - the sound of crickets..and its dead winter! Nobody wants to talk (brag?) about why the 993tt might be better than the 964T? Or play devil's advocate...?

Would love to hear your thoughts.....

Or maybe its been hashed a million times - point me to a thread?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 993TT and have been looking to add a 964 3.6T. They are completely different cars in the way they handle and accelerate, and IMHO it is not an apple to apple comparison. If you haven't driven one of each you should before making a decision - some people are completely turned off by the 993's relative "civility" and prefer the relative "rawness" of the 964. A stock 964T can already be pretty violent (and IMHO part of the appeal ) so without you having first driven one, I'm not sure that you wanting to have "at least 400hp" is a reasonable conclusion...these cars are not just about horsepower but about torque and how it is delivered.

And yes, part of the reason you have not been getting responses to this thread is probably because this question has been asked many times. Just use the search function, but frankly once you drive a sample of each you'll know which one is for you.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some search help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...993-turbo.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...-vs-964-a.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...bo-anyone.html
Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Hi Guys - I'm starting my hunt for a new toy. Coming from the land of the Audi Turbo Quattro Coupe
Hey man, welcome! Brandon from Denver, have we met? I was a pioneering quattro buff too; authored the ersatzS2 website and built a killer CQ based RS2 coupe replica ten years ago. Many years on the original quattro list. Seduced to the Porsche side of the world when I wanted to go racing. Things snowballed from there. Today I wish I'd started with an urq but I had a different spec in mind back then...

I'm not qualified to answer your questions here as I'm a very new 993tt owner (as in: haven't taken delivery yet!)

Having driven both on the track, which may or may not be relevant to your decision, I can say that the 993 is a substantially different platform, specifically it has a real rear suspension, vs the oddly cobbled workaround Porsche designed 50 yrs ago when he decided to put the engine in an inconvenient place. The 993 handles much more like a normal car. (not trying to start an argument; I've had 3 911s, two were PCA racecars, and they are a wonderful car; just require their own special technique)

Anyhow, stay tuned you'll get plenty of responses to your questions I'm sure. (edit; or, you could follow the links helpfully posted above :-)

Edit: Say more about the urq: 3B or AAN? brakes/trans/diffs?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Thanks, ahem, BLT4SPD ;-)
Old 01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrandonH
Hey man, welcome! Brandon from Denver, have we met? I was a pioneering quattro buff too; authored the ersatzS2 website and built a killer CQ based RS2 coupe replica ten years ago. Many years on the original quattro list. Seduced to the Porsche side of the world when I wanted to go racing. Things snowballed from there. Today I wish I'd started with an urq but I had a different spec in mind back then...

I'm not qualified to answer your questions here as I'm a very new 993tt owner (as in: haven't taken delivery yet!)

Having driven both on the track, which may or may not be relevant to your decision, I can say that the 993 is a substantially different platform, specifically it has a real rear suspension, vs the oddly cobbled workaround Porsche designed 50 yrs ago when he decided to put the engine in an inconvenient place. The 993 handles much more like a normal car. (not trying to start an argument; I've had 3 911s, two were PCA racecars, and they are a wonderful car; just require their own special technique)

Anyhow, stay tuned you'll get plenty of responses to your questions I'm sure. (edit; or, you could follow the links helpfully posted above :-)

Edit: Say more about the urq: 3B or AAN? brakes/trans/diffs?
Ah yes no we've never met but I'm somewhat familiar with your old car and I'm sure we have quite few friends in common. About the urQuattro - it's a 1984 (rarest year - only 65 imported to USA) Tornado Red with a 3B motor - chipped ECU with RS2 turbo/EM and custom intercooler allowing factory A/C, cruise control, and OE location alternator. A bunch of the parts I used in the motor swap came from a wrecked 1991 "RR" ur Quattro from Switzerland. Factory 15 X 8" Ronals are onthe car - so for brakes I'm running A4 brakes in front, vented rears, Eibach BIlstein suspension, Euro lights, S2 wheel, lots of gauges. _Just_ finished installing a fully rebuilt and cryo'd 016 locker transmission. And tons more. It's no monster by any means but its quick and reliable - very solid car I would not hesitate to jump in on a moment's notice and drive to anywhere - any time of year.

Which is actually one of my concerns of 911 Turbo ownership - I like to drive my toy a lot - around town, to mountain biking, on road trips, even in snow (gasp!). Anybody here drive their 993tt in [light?] snow? Not realistic I imagine but still curious...

And as somebody mentioned yes I need to drive these cars (again) I drove a bone stock 993tt a couple years ago - liked it. Have yet to drive a 3.3T rwd (964 T or late model 930). Hmm..now where could I find either of those cars to drive...hmmmmm

Brandon
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Brandon,
My last car was a 993 2S, but before that it was a 965T, and I absolutley loved it. It was a hell of a car in every respect. It also looked very mennacing.
But, the later TT is a better car for my driving style. I admit I like a few comforts these days and the TT fitted the bill. It is a stupid fast car like the 965, but it is more refined. The 965 is rare now and rightfully so, but the look of the TT is a lot more modern, and the lines and curves are just incredible on the eye.
The looks of the 965 for me, were just a tad dated. But still a thing of beauty.
Comfort wise the TT is better for me as well. Build quality is much the same as is the interior, but having the 4WD is a nice bonus.
I have also had a 930, and the 965 blew that away in every way. I can't say the TT has the same margin, but for me it is a nicer looking, more modern Porsche that STILL thrills me EVERY time I drive it.
Cheers

Quick Reply: 993tt 964 Turbo