Sponsored by:

About to buy, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011 | 02:44 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good luck!

I always have a problem at this stage...when do you walk away or take any deficiencies you find?

Lets just say that DrClott checks out the car in person, and finds a fender has been repainted again, or the bumpers are in really good shape but not perfect, is that enough to walk?

The romance of purchasing sometimes gets in the way, its hard to be objective, which is where most people get into trouble.

If this car looks good, go for it! You can always sell the sports seats, they will almost pay for an engine rebuild this days... :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-03-2011 | 12:17 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Take it to Gulf Performance in Pompano for the PPI....
Old 01-04-2011 | 11:58 AM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

I'm waiting for the PPI from Braman Porsche, the Dealership near the seller (happening this Thursday). If there is anything concerning from them, I will ask for a full PPI from Gulf Performance.

I did speak with the guy at Braman and he implied that a leakdown was only indicated if the car "felt" wrong when it was driven. Since I am new to Porsche, is that an accurate statement? Can a well trained mechanic drive the car and feel if there are major issues indicating the need for a leakdown and compression test? Or can a car drive perfectly well, but still have bad #'s on a Leakdown?

I have gotten a little history about this car (from other then the seller - thank you Rennlist!) and everything seams to be checking out well thus far...
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:01 PM
carbonfx
1st Gear

Hello All. I'm new to the forum, and first wanted to thank everyone as this site has been incredible resource in my quest to find a 993TT.

I conducted a PPI on this car a few weeks ago at Champion Porsche. The report was VERY poor - oil leaking from the engine, transmission, differential and r/f shock. After speaking with the technician at length, I decided to pass on the car.

DrClott: I'll send a PM with my contact info and can expand on the report if you would like.
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by carbonfx
Hello All. I'm new to the forum, and first wanted to thank everyone as this site has been incredible resource in my quest to find a 993TT.

I conducted a PPI on this car a few weeks ago at Champion Porsche. The report was VERY poor - oil leaking from the engine, transmission, differential and r/f shock. After speaking with the technician at length, I decided to pass on the car.

DrClott: I'll send a PM with my contact info and can expand on the report if you would like.

WOW! Poweful first posting. I sure hope you can help Dr.Clott before it's too late. Good luck on your quest for a 993 Turbo. The hunt is also very fulfilling.
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:14 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello All. I'm new to the forum,
Welcome..... You'll fit in just fine here! Great info on the car and good luck with your search.
Old 01-04-2011 | 02:07 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

OK, so ALMOST everything was checking out OK thus far... :-)

PM answered. Thanks...
Old 01-04-2011 | 11:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm, sounds like an opportunity to low ball and then DIY...
Old 01-05-2011 | 12:33 AM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Trust me, I thought of that! But I sort of hope the PPI proves Champion wrong.

To be honest, I'm very confused....
Old 01-05-2011 | 12:38 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrClott
Trust me, I thought of that! But I sort of hope the PPI proves Champion wrong.

To be honest, I'm very confused....
Gulf Performance knows these cars inside out......have them look at it...
Old 01-05-2011 | 01:54 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Time for a third set of eyes, try Gulf.
Old 01-05-2011 | 10:33 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

don't be talked into skipping leakdown because the tech is too lazy or wants to make money on a rebuild. IMO dealers are not usally used to working on these cars anymore.
at this point I would take a pass. there are many good cars out there. as we have all heard: there are no great deals; pay now or pay later!
good luck and enjoy the search!
Old 01-05-2011 | 12:32 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Ok, I cancelled the Braman PPI and rescheduled with Vinnie at Gulf Performance. I think I'll get a solid and final answer. It won't happen until early next week.

The tension is killing me!!!
Old 01-05-2011 | 12:44 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbodan
don't be talked into skipping leakdown because the tech is too lazy or wants to make money on a rebuild. IMO dealers are not usally used to working on these cars anymore.
at this point I would take a pass. there are many good cars out there. as we have all heard: there are no great deals; pay now or pay later!
good luck and enjoy the search!
Defiantly agree that dealers are not used to working on these cars anymore.
luckily, where I live, there are a few independents that see more 993's in a month than the dealer probably looks at in half a year.
Old 01-05-2011 | 01:24 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Vinnie...

Quick Reply: About to buy, need opinions.