Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Augustus Davies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale

I checked out a high mile '98 Turbo S. I don't know the colour code but it is a dark metallic blue with black interior..

2 owners, one accident to drivers side rear fender. Fender was repaired not replaced and the wheel and tire were replaced also..

I could not believe it, but this car lived outside since 2001 when the second (present) owner bought the car...and it shows..parked in the driveway in Hillsborough and in Pebble Beach..all of the rubber is...ok...not too nice though. Has some door dings and a few scratches on the front bumper even though it has a clear bra..and it has dents on the roof, fenders and hood from falling pines cones at her home in Hillsborough..and lots of scratches in the paint from dry wiping the car..The interior is dirty as if she never cleaned it. There are lots of scratches to the rear of the front seats..from hauling work out equipment..

She has some records, I didn't see them. We were not at her home. So I don't know what work has been done. I did drive it on the freeway and got it hot and checked the oil. It was clean and was not low..

It has 72,000 miles and she wants $60,000.00...The only 'S's I've seen for sale are ones without any miles selling for $125,000.00

I got the money together but she won't let me take the car for a PPI.

Bottom line, is it worth $60,000.00 ?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
I checked out a high mile '98 Turbo S. I don't know the colour code but it is a dark metallic blue with black interior..

2 owners, one accident to drivers side rear fender. Fender was repaired not replaced and the wheel and tire were replaced also..

I could not believe it, but this car lived outside since 2001 when the second (present) owner bought the car...and it shows..parked in the driveway in Hillsborough and in Pebble Beach..all of the rubber is...ok...not too nice though. Has some door dings and a few scratches on the front bumper even though it has a clear bra..and it has dents on the roof, fenders and hood from falling pines cones at her home in Hillsborough..and lots of scratches in the paint from dry wiping the car..The interior is dirty as if she never cleaned it. There are lots of scratches to the rear of the front seats..from hauling work out equipment..

She has some records, I didn't see them. We were not at her home. So I don't know what work has been done. I did drive it on the freeway and got it hot and checked the oil. It was clean and was not low..

It has 72,000 miles and she wants $60,000.00...The only 'S's I've seen for sale are ones without any miles selling for $125,000.00

I got the money together but she won't let me take the car for a PPI.

Bottom line, is it worth $60,000.00 ?
No. This is a sub-par car that can be a nice Turbo, but will never qualify as a Turbo S again.

The 993 Turbo S is a car that appeals only to collectors. Regardless of restoration skills and success and whatever horrors you might encounter or the budget and how the numbers come down, you'll have a Turbo S restored in 2010 by people in California -- it can never "qualify" for the elite collector "investment grade" buyer.

Sadly, this car will probably go to one of the bottom feeder car flippers, it will get a cheap makeover and someone will be unlucky enough to end up with it.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Agreed and sad but true
Old 05-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
No. This is a sub-par car that can be a nice Turbo, but will never qualify as a Turbo S again.

The 993 Turbo S is a car that appeals only to collectors. Regardless of restoration skills and success and whatever horrors you might encounter or the budget and how the numbers come down, you'll have a Turbo S restored in 2010 by people in California -- it can never "qualify" for the elite collector "investment grade" buyer.

Sadly, this car will probably go to one of the bottom feeder car flippers, it will get a cheap makeover and someone will be unlucky enough to end up with it.
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying. This car is, and will always be a turbo s. The car has too many miles to be an "investment grade" collector car, but who cares. If he wants a turbo S, and the car is mechanically solid, the rest is just a matter of detailing or some minor paint work.

Some people buy these cars to drive, not rub with a diaper in a hermetically sealed chamber.

While I think it may be a good buy if you are handy with fixing the stuff wrong with it (most likely a lot of cleaning), not allowing you to get a PPI is a deal breaker.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Walk. I can see the temptation, but it is a beater and without a PPI you could be walking into a minefield. Add in paint, engine and interior freshing and you could hit the 100K mark. And even then you would have a repainted high mileage turbo S with a story (or two). If I came across this I would be doing the same thing you are. I'd want it, but would pass. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

she won't let me take the car for a PPI.
why bother when the owner won't let you have a professional inspect it, keep looking is my advise
Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM
TTKan
Pro

The problems you see provide often insights into those you don't - the expensive ones. This is questionable with a PPI; without one you should not just walk away, but run away.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

it should be considered a crime the way that car was treated.....what a moron. Walk away.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
it should be considered a crime the way that car was treated.....what a moron. Walk away.

BTW, by "moron" I meant the present owner.....not you Agustus
Old 05-08-2010, 12:24 PM
StoryBook
Advanced

Poor TTS. For that same money you could be into a "high" mileage clean 993 Turbo. Or close at least. I'd pass.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, not often you see a car like a turbo S that qualifies as a "beater".
Poor car.

Everyone already said it but if a seller won't allow an inspection there are likely more issues than meet the eye.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:09 PM
997for40
Instructor

I wouldn't mind the miles so much if you're buying to drive but the fact that she will not let you do a PPI considering you're a serious buyer is very questionable. Your $60K TTS purchase could easily end up close to $125K. Save yourself the trouble and walk.

Last edited by 997for40; 05-08-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-08-2010, 02:28 PM
sonny1
Banned

Take some one that really knows this cars with you, and have it inspected as much as he can on site, always there will be a risk, but you can minimize it, still one hell of a good price for it.,good luck.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

why not buy a clean low mile 993tt for 60k?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:45 PM
db993tt
Track Day

Remind the seller of the all of the issues and your knowledge of such and make an offer....It is still a very rare car....If someone found one in a barn in this shape in 10 more years, they would jump on it.

Quick Reply: I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale