Sponsored by:

I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The US TTS is really just a cosmetic package, so it only adds value to a collector. The mileage and condition takes this car out of that realm, so it's only worth what a regular TT is in similar condition.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by db993tt
Remind the seller of the all of the issues and your knowledge of such and make an offer....It is still a very rare car....If someone found one in a barn in this shape in 10 more years, they would jump on it.
Agreed...Try to buy it for 50 and make it a restoration project over a period of time. You will wind up with something incredible.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:31 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

For $60K you could buy ONE HELLEVA 996 TT. Probably less than 10K miles and lots of extra goodies.
It would be a mechanically pristine car too. The PPI on this is a huge red flag. Why she cant see a PPI on a $60K car is stupid. AND $60K is way too high for a beater. S or not. I wish you would have taken photos.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:48 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

2 owners, one accident to drivers side rear fender. Fender was repaired not replaced and the wheel and tire were replaced also..

Damn that sucks Augustus, it really doe's. Because personally, a bit of a project is great fun, but why would she not allow a PPI? Is it because she doesn't want you driving her car or something? Take her with you and she can keep her beday eyes on you. But she might be scared that the PPI dude will uncover some crash repairs, in which case running is a good thing!
The pain is they are so rare though.
GL mate

She has some records, I didn't see them. We were not at her home. So I don't know what work has been done. I did drive it on the freeway and got it hot and checked the oil. It was clean and was not low..

It has 72,000 miles and she wants $60,000.00...The only 'S's I've seen for sale are ones without any miles selling for $125,000.00

I got the money together but she won't let me take the car for a PPI.

Bottom line, is it worth $60,000.00 ?[/QUOTE]
Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

TTS at 70k miles, even it it was in pristine cond., is not worth 60k.
and the type of person who leaves a TTS outside, even if super wealthy as indicated by hillsborough address, is just not a porsche person. and i would not buy a porsche from a non porsche person b/c u know the car will not be in good shape, so why bother.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
The US TTS is really just a cosmetic package, so it only adds value to a collector.
Source:
http://www.993tt.com/BuyingaTwinTurb...8/Default.aspx

1997 Turbo "S" - The 1997 Turbo S was the final upgrade Porsche made to the air-cooled Twin Turbo series. It included:

A modified ECU to provide 424 HP (A Chip Change)
Added an additional oil cooler
Air inlets on the real quarter panels
Lot's of Carbon Fiber in the interior
A different front bumper with additional air inlets
A different rear Turbo Tail
"Turbo S" scripts on the Tach and on the Tail
Yellow Brake Calipers
Originally sold for around $155,000.00
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
I could not believe it, but this car lived outside since 2001 when the second (present) owner bought the car...and it shows..parked in the driveway
I believe there's another thread discussing this turbo or could have been another one

Also, I seem to recollect there was there was yet another one with "Gulf" color scheme discussed here too

(Search isn't being too helpful this morning...)
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
For $60K you could buy ONE HELLEVA 996 TT. Probably less than 10K miles and lots of extra goodies.
It would be a mechanically pristine car too. The PPI on this is a huge red flag. Why she cant see a PPI on a $60K car is stupid. AND $60K is way too high for a beater. S or not. I wish you would have taken photos.
cool, but what if he doesn't want a 996TT. There is a reason they are cheaper than others.

Originally Posted by mooty
TTS at 70k miles, even it it was in pristine cond., is not worth 60k.
and the type of person who leaves a TTS outside, even if super wealthy as indicated by hillsborough address, is just not a porsche person. and i would not buy a porsche from a non porsche person b/c u know the car will not be in good shape, so why bother.
Wow, some nice judgments in there.

What in gods name would make you think a TTs would not be worth $60k with 70k miles. A pristine condition standard TT with 70k miles is worth about $53-$55 in my opinion. I would definitely pay $5k more for a TTs.

You wouldn't buy a Porsche from a non-Porsche person because you KNOW the car won't be in good shape? And where did you come up with this useless bit of opinion?

That non-porsche person may leave it outside, but then may have it meticulously maintained whether they are an enthusiast or not.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 127 Posts

Is a totally beaten up S worth 5k more than a non S? Or is the "S" only of value to a collector? Given what people are willing to pay for the S rear spoiler, I'd have to say that the differences between the S and a standard turbo have some value even in the junkyard. The assertion that the S only has value to a collector is absurd. I doubt that 1 of 100 non-S owners would not take a straight trade of their non-S for an S in the same condition. Does that mean that this car is worth 60k? No, if for no reason other than that there were no US Ss in 98.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

You may wish to ask why a PPI isnt allowed. Perhaps its only because of the risk of damage to and from a shop? Might be something as simple as offering to tow the car to and from the PPI.

One must agree opportunities such as this is a bit unique and the general buying rules may have to be altered, even with risk.

If you really want an S, there arent many, if ever, under a hundred K. Again, a unique and potential opportunity.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's definitely something about seeing a Turbo go by and noticing the subtle side inlets and Turbo S insignia...$60K will get you a mid to high mile sorted out turbo...if it were a clean Turbo S it would possibly bring $80K or higher...so, if you can get this car for $55-$60K and put $10K into it..you'd have a solid Turbo S about $10K cheaper than market value (in my opinion). I'd love to have a Turbo S and the appeal of having a car that isnt a low-mileage garage queen is super-appealing..especially at a $60K price-point...Pay the woman a few hundred bucks for her time for a PPI...or figure out why she's freaked out about it.

Good Luck!! Post pictures!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
You may wish to ask why a PPI isnt allowed. Perhaps its only because of the risk of damage to and from a shop? Might be something as simple as offering to tow the car to and from the PPI.

One must agree opportunities such as this is a bit unique and the general buying rules may have to be altered, even with risk.

If you really want an S, there arent many, if ever, under a hundred K. Again, a unique and potential opportunity.
I agree with the points Chris makes. It would have been easy to give up on the pursuit of my car. But I didn't and it has really paid off for me.

You will always wonder about this car if you don't fully investigate. Work out that PPI and go from there.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Augustus Davies;7551508]I checked out a high mile '98 Turbo S. I don't know the colour code but it is a dark metallic blue with black interior..

Since when di Porsche even make a 1998 Turbo S. I thought all were 1997's. For what I know, there were NO turbos in 1998?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=sinfulsteve;7556797]
Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
I checked out a high mile '98 Turbo S. I don't know the colour code but it is a dark metallic blue with black interior..

Since when di Porsche even make a 1998 Turbo S. I thought all were 1997's. For what I know, there were NO turbos in 1998?
that's what I thought, too. Did they make a Euro version of it in '98?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

I think this is a made up story...but it makes for a great thread

Quick Reply: I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale