Sponsored by:

I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM
96_993TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
It's been 3 days, 3 pages and +40 post since we heard from the OP. Where'd he go?
Good question. I sent a PM to the OP and no response. Oh well...
Old 05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Quad cammer you took this post OT. I simply offered the OP another option. Period.

In my opinion in having owned a 993 TT, 996 Gt3 and 997 GT3, I thought he may be in for a long and difficult time if he buys the TTS. I was using experience in offering another option to leave him with money in his pocket. That was my whole motivation. The TTs in my opinion is not a good buy, where as the option of a pristine 996 is a VERY viable alternate choice. If you cant see that then your'e blinder than I thought. I have never had an issue with you before but since you cant do math (your post is 100% BS) you cant identify a offer to help as just that an offer to help, then I dont need to read your
spiteful posts. You go on the ignore list (only the 3rd ever!)
I was only trying to help, given this economy, a guy who ASKED for it. If I was in the market right now for a TT it would be FOOLISH of me economically to not include all TTs. 993,996 AND the 997.

Right now the 996tt offers the most bang for your buck PERIOD. If YOU want to go throw money away go ahead. When I was younger I had my head down and looked only at 993 TTs, and I bought one. Now having owned some of the best 911s on the planet I have learned that there are ALL KINDS of great 911s. The 993 doesnt own that position by itself. And in this case, I offered up a choice. THAT IS ALL! And in this case the OP is looking at a car that might need $$$ for engine work $$$ for tranny work. $$$ to repair the interior, and $$$ to repair the paint job. I know he is not going to want to drive around a beat up TTs. So as a CONTRAST to this possible purchase, I wanted to show HIM (the one that AKSED for help) that his money can go a long way on a turbo on a different path. A car that is the next step in Porsches evolutionary development in the car that is the 911 Turbo.

Every meaningful part of the car is very close to the 993 TT. The transmission, the Engine, and the suspsension. Probably the suspension on either a 993TT or a 996TT is going to be shot by now and can be replaced by the Bilstein PSS10s. The Chassis in the 996TT is going to be stiffer and better, so in that way the ride will be better. So for maybe 50% of the cost of a 993 TT you can have a car that is better in every way except the interior and some not so nice headlights. I understand the charm of the 993 and its place in history, but really because of financial problems the 993 was an engineering compromise and in this case the whole is better than the some of its parts.

I only come here because I have owned one and some times I can help a future owner. I have done mods on mine
upgrades and replaced Turbos and exhaust. I have some knowledge than sometimes is helpful.

So maybe you dont care for my attitude, well in this case my attitude was to help the OP with some options to buying a car that could be a mechanical and financial nightmare. You took it in a not very helpful direction. You really contributed nothing to this other than the fact that you dont seem to know the TT cars very well.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
I checked out a high mile '98 Turbo S. I don't know the colour code but it is a dark metallic blue with black interior..

2 owners, one accident to drivers side rear fender. Fender was repaired not replaced and the wheel and tire were replaced also..

I could not believe it, but this car lived outside since 2001 when the second (present) owner bought the car...and it shows..parked in the driveway in Hillsborough and in Pebble Beach..all of the rubber is...ok...not too nice though. Has some door dings and a few scratches on the front bumper even though it has a clear bra..and it has dents on the roof, fenders and hood from falling pines cones at her home in Hillsborough..and lots of scratches in the paint from dry wiping the car..The interior is dirty as if she never cleaned it. There are lots of scratches to the rear of the front seats..from hauling work out equipment..

She has some records, I didn't see them. We were not at her home. So I don't know what work has been done. I did drive it on the freeway and got it hot and checked the oil. It was clean and was not low..

It has 72,000 miles and she wants $60,000.00...The only 'S's I've seen for sale are ones without any miles selling for $125,000.00

I got the money together but she won't let me take the car for a PPI.

Bottom line, is it worth $60,000.00 ?
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Quad cammer you took this post OT. I simply offered the OP another option. Period.

In my opinion in having owned a 993 TT, 996 Gt3 and 997 GT3, I thought he may be in for a long and difficult time if he buys the TTS. I was using experience in offering another option to leave him with money in his pocket. That was my whole motivation. The TTs in my opinion is not a good buy, where as the option of a pristine 996 is a VERY viable alternate choice. If you cant see that then your'e blinder than I thought. I have never had an issue with you before but since you cant do math (your post is 100% BS) you cant identify a offer to help as just that an offer to help, then I dont need to read your
spiteful posts. You go on the ignore list (only the 3rd ever!)
I was only trying to help, given this economy, a guy who ASKED for it. If I was in the market right now for a TT it would be FOOLISH of me economically to not include all TTs. 993,996 AND the 997.

Right now the 996tt offers the most bang for your buck PERIOD. If YOU want to go throw money away go ahead. When I was younger I had my head down and looked only at 993 TTs, and I bought one. Now having owned some of the best 911s on the planet I have learned that there are ALL KINDS of great 911s. The 993 doesnt own that position by itself. And in this case, I offered up a choice. THAT IS ALL! And in this case the OP is looking at a car that might need $$$ for engine work $$$ for tranny work. $$$ to repair the interior, and $$$ to repair the paint job. I know he is not going to want to drive around a beat up TTs. So as a CONTRAST to this possible purchase, I wanted to show HIM (the one that AKSED for help) that his money can go a long way on a turbo on a different path. A car that is the next step in Porsches evolutionary development in the car that is the 911 Turbo.

Every meaningful part of the car is very close to the 993 TT. The transmission, the Engine, and the suspsension. Probably the suspension on either a 993TT or a 996TT is going to be shot by now and can be replaced by the Bilstein PSS10s. The Chassis in the 996TT is going to be stiffer and better, so in that way the ride will be better. So for maybe 50% of the cost of a 993 TT you can have a car that is better in every way except the interior and some not so nice headlights. I understand the charm of the 993 and its place in history, but really because of financial problems the 993 was an engineering compromise and in this case the whole is better than the some of its parts.

I only come here because I have owned one and some times I can help a future owner. I have done mods on mine
upgrades and replaced Turbos and exhaust. I have some knowledge than sometimes is helpful.

So maybe you dont care for my attitude, well in this case my attitude was to help the OP with some options to buying a car that could be a mechanical and financial nightmare. You took it in a not very helpful direction. You really contributed nothing to this other than the fact that you dont seem to know the TT cars very well.
I didn't want to have to do this, but you really don't get it. Where in the original post does the author ask what other options he should consider? Do the numbers 996 even show up in his post? Does he ask anything other than "is this 993TTs worth $60k"?

Now, until you interjected with your recommendations on a completely separate car, we were having a great, albeit spirited discussion about TT S cars and their comparative value based on condition.

Every owner in this forum could have saved money and purchased a 996TT...but we didn't. Its not like the concept of a 996TT was unknown to us. We know what it is, considered it and passed. Had you given your thoughts and stated, "hey, maybe consider a 996TT" that would have been the end of it.

You seem to think the OP is on a limited budget, but I'm not sure why. He didn't ask what the cheapest turbo porsche was.

Once again, he didn't ask about his other options. The 996TT is a better bang for the buck, but only if you're blind. Then again, a Corvette Z06 is a better bang for the buck than a 996TT...Who cares...

If the post asked, "hey, I want a turbo 911, what are my best options", your posts would be helpful. However, his post said, "is this worn down 993TTs worth $60k".

Cheers.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:17 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I remember correctly, it was one of our Canadian Forum members who said that the 996TT was their winter Turbo. We all thought that was very funny.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Augustus Davies

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
It's been 3 days, 3 pages and +40 post since we heard from the OP. Where'd he go?
Sorry for not reporting in earlier.... went back to see the car last weekend with a friend who knows Porsches better than I ( not that I know a whole lot about modern Porsche's ).....owner agreed to a PPI on the 28th...Will be reporting back then...

Also, If I don't buy it my friend is going to...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Yes, the silver car is a very good deal, in fact I believe the owner underpriced it. But then again, it looks like it will need suspension work, and who knows what else. Then again, thats a sample size of N=1, so not terribly valuable.
⇒ that’s just one example I found while I was on the site. It’s not too difficult to find TT (not TTS) for that price, not every TT is priced as such, but not hard to find either.

so now parking the car outside=not maintaining it.
⇒ my language wasn’t clear, sorry. What I mean to say if you leave the car outside all day all the time, most likely you don’t treasure it and will not maintain it with rigor. Sure, oil changes will be done, but most TTS owners probably prefer to do more oil changes than what’s required. Most TTS owners have alignment chked more often etc etc.

Again, without seeing pictures its hard to say, but neglect doesn't mean=not repairable. yes, it will take some time, a lot of money and some effort, but its certainly far from impossible to restore, for a lot less than what a TT-S typically sells for.
⇒ granted I didn’t see the pix. But the OP stated the blemishes on the car. Do you see dents on your TTS? I know scott M’s car has zero dents, I know cp’s ruf or rufus has no dents, or jjb’s andial car has no dents. Dents and scratches themselves do not mean the car is bad, but it indicates the attitude of the owner. And if the owner neglected those things, I would wonder what else they neglected. Certainly I will miss bargain once in a while, but I rather miss bargain then getting a sub par car.

Heritage, prestige, and rarity are all great things. Things that can not be eradicated by some worn paint or a dirty interior.
⇒ again depends on how worn/dirty. And how well you want to bring it up to standard. Those add to the price and then the low priced TTS isn’t so low price anymore. As this particular TTS increase in price (due to fixing the blemishes), the time and cost involved, why not look for another TTS in better shape, condition.

As to the fender damage. My previously non-accident car was just backed into, causing a dent in the fender that will need to be reworked and repainted. The car's value instantly fell, but to say that this "wouldn't hold a candle" to a car that hadn't had a minor incident is a little much. Yes, part of the value is due to the originality, but some people like to drive cars as well.
⇒ correct, many ppl buy cars to drive. Like myself. I put 20k miles on my RS in 13 months. My office is just down stairs. But even if you drive the cars when given a choice, why would one buy a car with history when you can choose another?

yup, I would buy your RS for a steep discount, just as this fella would be doing with the TTs. Find another TTs for around $60k, and I'll buy it tomorrow.
⇒ at 70k miles? Not manhy TTS has that mileage. Most ppl don’t drive them. And if they are at 70k miles, you can find them at 70-80k. if the subject 60k car needs a full detail, some mechanic work and paint correction, it will easily be $70k.

This is a car for a guy with some mechanical talent, who wants to enjoy the great 993TT experience with a little something extra. Yes, once it gets it to reasonable condition, it may end up costing him $85k, but he'll be the proud owner of a 993TTs.
⇒ but at that price, you can get a TT pristine. Or spring more for a nice TTS.

The stupid obsession with every service record, minor paintwork, and low miles by porsche owners really annoys me. These cars are not ferraris. They are meant to be driven. If only more owners would stop sealing them up in hermetic chambers and actually turn the god damn key once in a while.
⇒ I don’t think too many ppl drive their p car more than I do, but I still keep all records. It’s an attitude about your car. I rather buy a car from an **** owner rather than trying hunt for a bargain and always wonder.

YMMV
Old 05-12-2010, 07:48 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TurboS with same miles like this in this thread for guys who say that 60k$ for TurboS with some minor work to do is not worth it... Check it!!

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...3&pageNumber=1
Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Not that it matters, but I think this car may have been mentioned and a pic posted here several years ago.

If it was the same car, someone (maybe Edgy01?) showed a photo of a car with a similar description that was always left outside on a short driveway and the owner had an Aston Martin parked in a nearby garage.

There couldn't be many dark blue 993tt s kept outside could there?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

man if you dont buy it or your friend let me know i will buy it off her hands=)
Old 05-19-2010, 09:36 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

good luck...I would love to get into a TTS that I could actually use and drive without guilt for that kind of $$ providing theres no major mechanical flaws. non-structural/cosmetic flaws can always be addressed.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put it in a barn and then advertise it for sale.....up goes the $$$ value ;-)
Old 05-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Augustus Davies

To make a loooong story short, I got the car...took it to the paint shop today and will be finished in 6 weeks.....The sprayer asked me if I wanted an 'original finish' with orange peel or a Pebble Beach quality paint job...I went for the PB paint job..
Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

dude, you have to post pictures.

what was the ppi like or did you not get one?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
dude, you have to post pictures.

what was the ppi like or did you not get one?
WE NEED CLOSURE!!!!

Quick Reply: I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale