Sponsored by:

I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

What in gods name would make you think a TTs would not be worth $60k with 70k miles. A pristine condition standard TT with 70k miles is worth about $53-$55 in my opinion. I would definitely pay $5k more for a TTs.
==> i guess we buy from different sources then. also see 96 TT for sale on this board recently. sub 50k for a 70k miles car, popular color and without inspecting the car, appears to be in good shape.

You wouldn't buy a Porsche from a non-Porsche person because you KNOW the car won't be in good shape? And where did you come up with this useless bit of opinion?
==> from purchasing 80+ p cars in since 1998 and 40 more outside of usa, or the fact that 75% of the GT3 changing hands in nor cal has/had something to do with me or from breathing porsche for the last 29 years.... how many p cars you have purchased/inspected in the past?

That non-porsche person may leave it outside, but then may have it meticulously maintained whether they are an enthusiast or not.
==> parking it outside is fine. parking out outside day in day out and causing the subject car to have the conditioned mentioned in the orig post shows that the owner didn't meticulously maintain the subject car. furthermore, if owner did maintain the car why would she only have "some" of the records. i think that most of us here have every service record of our cars when it's under our ownership, no?

post also stated car is in hillsborough. i live there. i know the population and is it judgmental? yes. if you live here, you would understand what i mean.

TTS is worth a LOT more than TT there's no question. but when neglected, it's not worth much. the rarer the car, the faster it depreciates it when neglected.

if i were buying a 924S, one with a repainted panel and one that's all orig (everything else equal) would not show much $ difference b/c most likely it's high miler and bought to drive.

if i were buying a TTS, one with a slight fender bender would not hold a candle to one that's pristine, all else being equal. most likely TTS are bought for heritage, prestige,and rarity. when it's not preserved, it loses value quickly.

unless of course when something as rare a bugatti royale, early bently boys race cars, then even a burnt, rotten frame is worth a ton as they will be restore one way or another but that's a different animal.

would you buy my 2010 RS when i am done with it in 2012, it would most likely have 150 track hours, almost no paint left on front bumper and hood and several bent control arms (albeit replaced) and maybe repainted body panels? i sure wouldn't unless it's heavily heavily discounted b/c 95% of the RS in USA will have less abuse than my car for not much more $. this isnt' hypothetical. i sell everyone of my GT3/RS at heavy discount for this reason. and i see the TTS in this thread to be the same and probably neglected more than my RS.

Last edited by mooty; 05-11-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
would you buy my 2010 RS when i am done with it in 2012.
I would buy your well maintained track car before I would buy a long neglected 993 tts without a PPI.... but that's me!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Quadcammer wrote:
cool, but what if he doesn't want a 996TT. There is a reason they are cheaper than others.
I was able to see that since he was posting in here the 993 TT forum. I just presented an option.
Since he wants to spend $60K on a beat up old car that could end up costing more than twice the purchase price to fix it. Right now in the auto world, I cant think of a better value than a NICE pristine 996TT.
Its not that much different than the 993. They basically just slapped water jackets around the heads.
The styling is a little different, but as for value he could get a VERY NICE 996 TT that has just come off a fresh service, low miles and lots of modification goodies that he wouldnt have to pay for.
I understand the last of the air cooled 911's mantra.

But as some point you need to look out for yourself. There are MANY more 996 TTs to choose from
(one reason they are lower in price) and I bet SOME 996 TT owner would allow a PPI. As time goes on good value in the 993 is harder and harder to find. The 996 TT presents a great option for someone who wants a TT and maybe would like to DRIVE it and not work on it.

Outside of the watercooled heads theres not much difference in the motors. Still based on the GT1 motor that all TTs (until this year), GT3s and GT2s are based on. There are TONS of upgrades for it
and its SO bulletproof its VERY dependable.

The 996 TT is MUCH closer to a 993 than any other 996 is. In Fact I would say the 996TT is more related to the 993TT than a 996.

So if you look at the choices
A: 70K mile beat up TTS (its easy to make a TTs out of a regular TT (excepting intakes on Rear qtr panel)) that might require $$$$ in repair.
B. Find a mid mile 993 TT that sill might need some work for the $70K range
C. Find a pristine example 993TT for (what is the market now?) $80K?
D. Find a low mile NICE pristine well maintained Modded to your taste 996TT for less than $60k more in the mid $50'sK

In today's economy with all the uncertainty I would buy a low mile, mechanically sound, pristine,
modded to my tastes with paper work, 996 TT. I think you can get a very nice one for $50k
and that leaves alot of money for the bank, mods, track days, etc.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy

In today's economy with all the uncertainty I would buy a low mile, mechanically sound, pristine,
modded to my tastes with paper work, 996 TT. I think you can get a very nice one for $50k
Here's a pretty nice one for $35.5k.

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ver-coupe.html

CP
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 127 Posts

Why is everyone talking about a 996TT? Why not try to sell him on a Toyota Supra? If the guy wants a 993TTS, he is not liekly interested in a 996TT. One is rare and special, the other is a dime a dozen.

And as far as the differences between a them and even the 993TT, there are a lot of people who don't, for example, count a bolt-on 993GT2 conversion as the same as an original 993GT2 even if the bolt-on turns out to be a better car. You might not be one of those people, but you have to recognize that market prices show that original, rare, cars, command a huge premim. Look at the classic muscle car market.

There are tons of examples of cars that have almost no differences between them, but one will be 500k and one is 50k. If this car were real and could be brought back to life for a reasonable amount of money, then it would be worth considering. If not, I doubt that the alternative is a 996TT. It more likely to be a 89 slantnose.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
==> i guess we buy from different sources then. also see 96 TT for sale on this board recently. sub 50k for a 70k miles car, popular color and without inspecting the car, appears to be in good shape.

==> from purchasing 80+ p cars in since 1998 and 40 more outside of usa, or the fact that 75% of the GT3 changing hands in nor cal has/had something to do with me or from breathing porsche for the last 29 years.... how many p cars you have purchased/inspected in the past?

==> parking it outside is fine. parking out outside day in day out and causing the subject car to have the conditioned mentioned in the orig post shows that the owner didn't meticulously maintain the subject car. furthermore, if owner did maintain the car why would she only have "some" of the records. i think that most of us here have every service record of our cars when it's under our ownership, no?

TTS is worth a LOT more than TT there's no question. but when neglected, it's not worth much. the rarer the car, the faster it depreciates it when neglected.

if i were buying a TTS, one with a slight fender bender would not hold a candle to one that's pristine, all else being equal. most likely TTS are bought for heritage, prestige,and rarity. when it's not preserved, it loses value quickly.

would you buy my 2010 RS when i am done with it in 2012, it would most likely have 150 track hours, almost no paint left on front bumper and hood and several bent control arms (albeit replaced) and maybe repainted body panels? i sure wouldn't unless it's heavily heavily discounted b/c 95% of the RS in USA will have less abuse than my car for not much more $. this isnt' hypothetical. i sell everyone of my GT3/RS at heavy discount for this reason. and i see the TTS in this thread to be the same and probably neglected more than my RS.
Yes, the silver car is a very good deal, in fact I believe the owner underpriced it. But then again, it looks like it will need suspension work, and who knows what else. Then again, thats a sample size of N=1, so not terribly valuable.

Purchasing 120 P-cars doesn't mean you should generalize in such a manner. Its really not valuable to make such generalizations as you can miss out on some great cars by doing so.

so now parking the car outside=not maintaining it. Since we don't have pictures, its hard to say the damage to the vehicle. However, I'd wager that an excellent detail inside and out and some PDR would make the car look substantially better. Yes, having all the records is great, but most non-enthusiasts don't keep all of them. Doesn't mean she didn't take the car for regular services.

Again, without seeing pictures its hard to say, but neglect doesn't mean=not repairable. yes, it will take some time, a lot of money and some effort, but its certainly far from impossible to restore, for a lot less than what a TT-S typically sells for.

Heritage, prestige, and rarity are all great things. Things that can not be eradicated by some worn paint or a dirty interior.

As to the fender damage. My previously non-accident car was just backed into, causing a dent in the fender that will need to be reworked and repainted. The car's value instantly fell, but to say that this "wouldn't hold a candle" to a car that hadn't had a minor incident is a little much. Yes, part of the value is due to the originality, but some people like to drive cars as well.

yup, I would buy your RS for a steep discount, just as this fella would be doing with the TTs. Find another TTs for around $60k, and I'll buy it tomorrow.

The point is that this is not the car for the collector. This is a car for a guy with some mechanical talent, who wants to enjoy the great 993TT experience with a little something extra. Yes, once it gets it to reasonable condition, it may end up costing him $85k, but he'll be the proud owner of a 993TTs.

The stupid obsession with every service record, minor paintwork, and low miles by porsche owners really annoys me. These cars are not ferraris. They are meant to be driven. If only more owners would stop sealing them up in hermetic chambers and actually turn the god damn key once in a while.

Quadcammer wrote:

I was able to see that since he was posting in here the 993 TT forum. I just presented an option.
Since he wants to spend $60K on a beat up old car that could end up costing more than twice the purchase price to fix it. Right now in the auto world, I cant think of a better value than a NICE pristine 996TT.
Its not that much different than the 993. They basically just slapped water jackets around the heads.
The styling is a little different, but as for value he could get a VERY NICE 996 TT that has just come off a fresh service, low miles and lots of modification goodies that he wouldnt have to pay for.
I understand the last of the air cooled 911's mantra.

But as some point you need to look out for yourself. There are MANY more 996 TTs to choose from
(one reason they are lower in price) and I bet SOME 996 TT owner would allow a PPI. As time goes on good value in the 993 is harder and harder to find. The 996 TT presents a great option for someone who wants a TT and maybe would like to DRIVE it and not work on it.

Outside of the watercooled heads theres not much difference in the motors. Still based on the GT1 motor that all TTs (until this year), GT3s and GT2s are based on. There are TONS of upgrades for it
and its SO bulletproof its VERY dependable.

The 996 TT is MUCH closer to a 993 than any other 996 is. In Fact I would say the 996TT is more related to the 993TT than a 996.

So if you look at the choices
A: 70K mile beat up TTS (its easy to make a TTs out of a regular TT (excepting intakes on Rear qtr panel)) that might require $$$$ in repair.
B. Find a mid mile 993 TT that sill might need some work for the $70K range
C. Find a pristine example 993TT for (what is the market now?) $80K?
D. Find a low mile NICE pristine well maintained Modded to your taste 996TT for less than $60k more in the mid $50'sK

and that leaves alot of money for the bank, mods, track days, etc.
I think the 996TT is a nice car, but your post is 100% BS.

A 996TT is not similar to 993TT beyond the engine. The exterior is completely polarizing, and the interior is quite frankly cheap junk. One is a traditional Porsche, the other is a sterilized, sanitized, and toyota-ized GT car.

Yes, may porsche enthusiasts can appreciate both, which I do. The 996TT is a better performer in every aspect, but when faced with the choice of a patina'ed 993TT for $15k more than a pristine 996TT, many people choose the 993TT.

In fact, in a recent poll in off-topic, the 993TT beat out the 997TT in terms of desirability. Certainly not scientific, but extremely impressive for a 15 year old car, with a 40 year old interior, and only 400bhp.

Sure, I'd drive a 996TT, but only in addition to a 993, because it sure as **** isn't a replacement for one.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Quadcammer My post is pretty accurate.
I will agree on your thoughts on the interior, probably the worst in Porsche history

A 996TT is not similar to 993TT beyond the engine.
I think the drive train on a car like this is PRETTY DAMN IMPORTANT. I would buy a part of Porsche history
thats in the 996 TT at these prices. The suspension is really close too.

I will ALSO agree that the 993 is more desirable. No doubt about it. But see where my thinking is different than your is that I JUST presented an option based on his financial limits he put on himself.

I wasnt assualting him or berating him, just letting him know there are options. I would hope
my fellow RL'ers would do this for me.

As CP just showed a nice alternative at THIRTY FIVE thousand dollars. THAT would leave the OP with $25K in HIS pocket. A NICE maintenance fund

Then you agree with some of my points and the call my post 100% BS??!! You need to go back to Math Class.

993Turbo S
All I did was present a option. I am NOT forcing him to do this. I am not FORCING him to buy this car.

I was just doing what other RLers did for me, present some good info on my future acquisition.

I just presented an option where he could get the performance he MAY be looking for.

This is an OPEN forum, I just made a suggestion. In this country (at least for now) we can present other ideas with out worry about retribution.
He doesnt have to buy it. I am just presenting a car that is better in performance for less money.

The overall point is he can get the same car but newer better and less milage for 50% of his budget.

Lets drop the sensitivity. Its not needed here. Unless of course you guys are against open thought and debate.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very entertaining thread!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It should be entertaining unless the 993 thought police get more harsh.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Then you agree with some of my points and the call my post 100% BS??!! You need to go back to Math Class.
Quote of the day..
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Quadcammer My post is pretty accurate.
I will agree on your thoughts on the interior, probably the worst in Porsche history

I think the drive train on a car like this is PRETTY DAMN IMPORTANT. I would buy a part of Porsche history
thats in the 996 TT at these prices. The suspension is really close too.

I will ALSO agree that the 993 is more desirable. No doubt about it. But see where my thinking is different than your is that I JUST presented an option based on his financial limits he put on himself.

I wasnt assualting him or berating him, just letting him know there are options. I would hope
my fellow RL'ers would do this for me.

As CP just showed a nice alternative at THIRTY FIVE thousand dollars. THAT would leave the OP with $25K in HIS pocket. A NICE maintenance fund

993Turbo S
All I did was present a option. I am NOT forcing him to do this. I am not FORCING him to buy this car.

I was just doing what other RLers did for me, present some good info on my future acquisition.

I just presented an option where he could get the performance he MAY be looking for.

This is an OPEN forum, I just made a suggestion. In this country (at least for now) we can present other ideas with out worry about retribution.
He doesnt have to buy it. I am just presenting a car that is better in performance for less money.

The overall point is he can get the same car but newer better and less milage for 50% of his budget.

Lets drop the sensitivity. Its not needed here. Unless of course you guys are against open thought and debate.
I'm not sensitive. I'll be honest, I never cared for you when you had your C63 over at mbworld, nor do I care for your thoughts here, but I'll respond.

yes, the engine is pretty much the same, as are the drivetrain components. Yes, that makes the car somewhat similar.

But if you put a person in a 996TT and a 993TT blindfolded, do you really think they would come away saying they were similar to drive?

For christs sake you could get a tiptronic on the 996TT. That is shameful.

Financial limits? He is looking at a well worn $60k TTs. As previously mentioned, a good condition moderately high mileage 993TT is in the $50k range. I don't see him saying anywhere that $60k was desperate stretching his budget.

Are they close to the same car? I say no, but regardless, close only counts in darts and horseshoes.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Quadcammer:

If you put a person in the 993 he is going to know immediately from that sweet air cooled smell in the leather.
My point was the 996TT is more like a 993 than its lower 996 carrera siblings.

The sad thing is you are confessing your posts, are influenced because you dont like me?

Why not just try to help the OP instead of carrying out a grudge on me? Thats not good.
That taints everything you wrote in this thread.
And what did I ever do to you? I just try to help people here on RL because they helped me.
Your'e saying your AREN"T helping--- just trying to discredit me.

Thats a diservice to the OP who wanted help
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Quadcammer:

If you put a person in the 993 he is going to know immediately from that sweet air cooled smell in the leather.
My point was the 996TT is more like a 993 than its lower 996 carrera siblings.

The sad thing is you are confessing your posts, are influenced because you dont like me?

Why not just try to help the OP instead of carrying out a grudge on me? Thats not good.
That taints everything you wrote in this thread.
And what did I ever do to you? I just try to help people here on RL because they helped me.
Your'e saying your AREN"T helping--- just trying to discredit me.

Thats a diservice to the OP who wanted help
I disagree that the 996TT is more like a 993TT than it is a 996 N/A. You gotta look at that thing every time you walk up to it. Thats enough for me.

I don't particularly care for your attitude, thats why I wasn't a fan of your posts.

That said, you are the one coming into a thread about 993TTs cars and recommending a 996TT because they are cheap. What that has to do with what the OP is asking, I have no clue.

This thread has gone somewhat off topic due to all the 996TT talk, so whose really engaging in the disservice?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's been 3 days, 3 pages and +40 post since we heard from the OP. Where'd he go?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:08 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
It's been 3 days, 3 pages and +40 post since we heard from the OP. Where'd he go?
With this thread and the psychoanalysis imbedded with the discussion of the actual car, I would think "therapy" is a safe bet.

Quick Reply: I looked at a high mile Turbo S for sale