Sponsored by:

Intercooler concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 AM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Intercooler concerns

Hello folks, just this afternoon my nephew stopped over to have a look at my 993 TT.

As far as the Protomotive IC is concerned, he was disappointed to say the least. He runs a big single turbo Supra himself and builds crazy power. He was saying that the end tank design were terrible and that it appears as the intake piping was cobbled together. He pointed out as well that the inlet piping on either side goes through a bottle neck. As the pipe goes from a larger diameter to a smaller diameter and then flares out again it slows the flow of air.

Now neither of us are Porsche mechanics at all, but it has me thinking. Should I just put my stock IC back on? He had some good points in regards to inefficiency. Possibly it is more efficient than it appears? What do you think of it?
Attached Images      
Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I think you test it, measure your intake temperatures under boost and load and see what is actually happening.....
You can't really tell from just looking at an intercooler if it actually works or not and Protomotive are as good as it gets for Porsche turbo tuning in the US
Old 02-12-2010, 09:14 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Arghhhh! Posts like these infuriate me!

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that Protomotive intercooler..in fact it is absolutely beautiful...look at the length of that pipe it is SHORT...it is not harming air flow, velocity or flow. You would be unwise to put back your stock unit (I am refraining from using the word "foolish") back on the car.

On a 911..the extremely limited engine bay (read "SMALL) dictates the intercooler size, location and the plumbing location. Protomotive are extremely reputable, I would trust they would have done extensive R&D to design, fabricate and fit the best and most efficient intercooler they can for any Porsche they work on.

Ask your nephew if he could design and fabricate his own intercooler for the tightly packaged 911 Turbo and let's see what he turns up with?

A Supra with its long nose and huge engine bay and lots of room to run a Front Mount Intercooler and huge diameter piping with soft angled bends is apples and oranges comparison to a 911 Turbo. Too many people in the peanut gallery, lots of people I have noticed have negative comments to share but would not know the first thing about sizing, selecting and fabbing an intercooler.

BTW..I have designed (in AutoCAD) my own intercooler and piping for my 911 Turbo took months to make it perfect.

Yasin
Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

It looks terrible. I will give you $50 for it to assuage your concerns
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a stock IC sitting right here I will trade + cash for that thing

Shoot me a PM and I'll make that horrible intake piping go away
Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Those end caps look awful, he is right. The welding on the intake tubing is also pretty bad (especially considering what this thing probably cost). That said, effective intercoolers aren't always efficient.

I think you should be more concerned about the Fabspeed open airbox which has proven to suck in nothing but hot air. Not sure if there is a better option when you get rid of the stock cooler.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are worried about it I would definitely find a stock unit and swap it in...seem to work just fine
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I have the stock unit sitting on the garage floor. I more or less posting the question as I really don't know the answer as to weather or not it flows well. My car really isn't making all that much power as well, and from the reading I've done the stock I/C is very efficient. Fact is at this point, I really don't need the larger cooler. I don't track the car. But I like the look of it outwardly. It just takes the wind out of my sails when showing off my car and people are asking why I have the crappiest looking design they have ever seen.

The airbox cover appears mickey mouse. Looking at it one would think it came off one of the Ebay buy-it-nows for $9.99. I do have the stock airbox cover but wasn't sure if I could fit it back on with the aftermarket cooler.

So does anyone have the answer as to why they bottleneck the inlet pipes? I would at least like to able to explain to people in the future why it looks the way it does.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Put your stock IC back on and sell the proto IC to me please
Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
rednoble
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that IC could be put to much better use in the thin air of Colorado than the midwest

Originally Posted by Spartan
Old 02-12-2010, 12:31 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I think you should be more concerned about the Fabspeed open airbox which has proven to suck in nothing but hot air.
+1
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rednoble
I think that IC could be put to much better use in the thin air of Colorado than the midwest
lol quiet you!

Besides your turbos are too small for that thing
Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 PM
rednoble
Advanced

yeah, I hear that 16/24s are yesterday's news. they do work like 30% harder up here though so I am needing more heat dissipation

lol quiet you!

Besides your turbos are too small for that thing
Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd take better care of it than Josh would.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

The Protomotive IC on my 993TT is a workhorse. You've been reading to many 6-blingonline threads about sexy looking aftermarket items.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Intercooler concerns