Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

do we have an IAT and pressure drop info for these items?

just cause its big and shiny doesn't mean its worth anything.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
do we have an IAT and pressure drop info for these items?

just cause its big and shiny doesn't mean its worth anything.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can find it out by either run a theoretical model or practically measure the values. Looks by themselves are a bit deceiving and if your nephew is more than a bolt-on type of guy he should know this too. I wonder if he really knows what makes an intercooler work well and where the performance bottle necks are.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Listen funny man, all I'm asking for is the data, which I haven't seen.

Either post the data on this product, or keep your funny pictures to yourself.

P.S. the welding and design on my cheap Paxton FMIC makes that thing look cheesy.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Listen funny man, all I'm asking for is the data, which I haven't seen.

Either post the data on this product, or keep your funny pictures to yourself.

P.S. the welding and design on my cheap Paxton FMIC makes that thing look cheesy.
Its a funny pic tho isn't it

Seriously, you won't get any data unless you do it yourself....
Old 02-13-2010, 08:31 AM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nope!

Originally Posted by Spartan
Put your stock IC back on and sell the proto IC to me please
Spartan is wrong........I suggest putting the stock IC back in and selling the Proto one to ME
Old 02-13-2010, 10:33 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Seriously...really who is going to tap and thread or weld a nipple for a gauge before and after the intercooler in the piping to do a pressure loss measurement or the same for IAT...SECAN who build $30,000 intercoolers for the Porche Race team dont even do this.

IAT can be measured if you go with a full standalone...but again...$10K...

So back to my original statement..

Yasin
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Seriously...really who is going to tap and thread or weld a nipple for a gauge before and after the intercooler in the piping to do a pressure loss measurement or the same for IAT...SECAN who build $30,000 intercoolers for the Porche Race team dont even do this.

IAT can be measured if you go with a full standalone...but again...$10K...

So back to my original statement..

Yasin
I'm sorry. I guess I expect more. You would think protomotive would do this.

I'm actually amazed at how much more advanced mustang owners are when it comes to making power properly. Datalogging things like IAT 1 and 2 and pressure drop are extremely common.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't you get the AIT from the OBD2? The stock intercooler has a temp sensor, aftermarket ones must have one for the ecu to work properly? Would have thought pretty simple to do with a obd2 gauge - no? My Scan gauge II can read AIT from the OBD2...
Old 02-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

right, you can then compare to ambient (which is not a bad way to go), but ideally you would want to measure iat post-turbo but pre-cooler, and then iat post cooler. Most reputable IC makers would do this, and test pressure drop. This should not be up to the end customer.

It kinda bothers me that tuning companies for high end cars can typically get away with a little engineering, and mostly flash and a high price tag to imply quality and performance, without actually doing a lot of testing. For the prices these companies charge, these items should be tested every which way.

As I mentioned before, the mustang tuning community (which has a lot of bad companies) generally forces parts manufacturers to provide hard data on parts. Dyno numbers, track times, Iat information, etc etc are always requested. I think Porsche owners owe it to themselves to request this kind of information from the porsche tuners. Otherwise they will continue to get away with selling shiny parts that may not be terribly effective at a high price.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 PM
rednoble
Advanced

Default tuners

the issue is the relative obscurity of the 993tt. the 996tt as a tuner platform is very advanced, largely due to increased # of cars and hence the increased market for parts. by the same logic it is easy to see why competitiveness in the mustang aftermarket has driven the aforementioned levels of advancement (as well as attracted the bottom feeders). as you can see from the pics, 993tt intercoolers aren't off an assembly line, they're built by hand and often designed & tested in the same fashion. btw, if you really want to see a small aftermarket check out what's available for the noble.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:14 AM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

I like the look of the Protomotive I/C, so I'm not really looking to dump it. More or less looking for an explanation is all. Still wondering why they reduce the size of the inlets and then flare out again? Maybe I'll call Protomotive and see what there explanation is.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
I like the look of the Protomotive I/C, so I'm not really looking to dump it. More or less looking for an explanation is all. Still wondering why they reduce the size of the inlets and then flare out again? Maybe I'll call Protomotive and see what there explanation is.
Todd is a great guy and he will talk to anyone... I have his mods on my 996TT and I was even able to get him on the phone on a Sunday afternoon when we had a question... After dealing with other tuners on my 996TT I ripped off all their crap and went to Protomotive and never had 1 issue... Can't say the same for the others...

I would stand by Todd's work in a heartbeat...
Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got one also. People who know about welding stainless think the welds are gorgeous.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I'm quite surprised looking at the pics, for some reason i always thought that Proto used bar and plate cores, but they are clearly tube and fin. The stock one is actually tube and fin too, which i mistakenly thought was the opposite. All the best coolers are bar and plate though right, Secan etc?

Quick Reply: Intercooler concerns