Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9M Prototype intercooler test report

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez-- I love the real information that comes out. I have to say-- thankyou to you all.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

I can add another data point and happy to log/share whatever data people want:

I have CTR/Marston/Docking intercooler and 2 oil coolers; all Bar and Plate.

In brief summary I see about 10degC rise in air temps on flat out runs (Brunters etc). The oil coolers are too efficient and keep temps at 60degC which is a bit low for my liking.

In terms of cost, I think they represent good value for money as a system: Are there cheaper worse coolers or better more expensive ones? Of course.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean

Franz has a very close relationship with Heggemann, they are neighbors and his sponsors, last I was there (with Rennlister and friend Felix) we passed by Heggemann's head office, and Franz had a couple of Heggemann end tank spares in his closet that he showed us and he offered to build me a Secan race IC.
I remember that trip well - Franz's shop was a treasure trove and Franz was great company to boot.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Any updates or future plans for a real hp producing bolt on intercooler? It's a good read here. Maybe with improved materials and manufacturing techniques we may not be too far off from an affordable/available 'secan like' intercooler!
Old 08-15-2015, 05:04 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Default Intercooler

I think the problem is that the market for doing expensive mods to our cars is now pretty small and so it's not worth doing the r&d development for anything more than personal projects.
I'd like to have done a second iteration of the 9m to make the core sizes as big as the secan and possibly tweak the internal fin density to give a slightly higher pressure drop (balanced by slightly better cooling), but the first iteration worked pretty well and it was a expensive project (and the price point meant that it had limited sales potential despite being cheaper than the secan).
I'm still running the original 9m cooler on my car and it now has a custom shroud (the stock shroud slightly obscured the two end rows and lost a tiny bit of area in the corners). I'm now upgrading it to add water meth injection into the centre tank.
If I was doing it again I would start with water meth (aquamist) and a stock intercooler.
For the more expensive intercooler project I would use 997.2 cores rather than marston or secan and do something similar to tacker's great looking cooler (search "Texas mile / intercooler build")
Steve
Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 PM
AiRick
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...993-turbo.html If some one was interested in a an Andial ? Sorry for the high jack.

Quick Reply: 9M Prototype intercooler test report