Sponsored by:

GT3 CUPCAR brakes on 993TT Pics....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts
Default GT3 CUPCAR brakes on 993TT Pics....

More than 1 PM has prompted me to take my wheels off and post some pics of the BIG brake conversion.

I also have the higher res versions - Email me at simon at investig8 dot com dot au and I will pass them on if you want them.

I was told it CANT be done - but it has and it works. The main issues are:
1 - Front caliper mountsing point.
2 - Front caliper clearance.
3 - New solid brake line needed.
4 - 1 off custome hub machined for rear.
5 - Making sure the rear hand brake works.
6 - the change int he rear wheel offset.

The shop that did the work considering producing a kit on an exchange basis (so I have been told) - PM for details.

I decided to mount the standard wheels so that you can see and judge how your own wheel fitment will work. Standard and 996TT HS wheels will require a small (5mm) spacer to clear. Rear is OK !

In order:

Front Clearance
Front Mount
Inner clearance
Modified hub.

Rears to follow.

Hope this helps,

Simon.
Attached Images     
Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Rear pics....

Outside Rear wheel
Adapter Rear adapter block
Rear wheel clearance
Rear Caliper Mount
Rear Caliper

Ask or flame () away!

Simon.
Attached Images      
Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Holy CRAP that is a tight fit!!! Good job, mate!!! Looks like you should be able to stop now, eh? BTW, what rotors are those?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Mike,

They are Brembo RACE versions to suit cupcars.

I am running full CUP CAR set up - front AND rear Calipers AND 355mm rotors front and rear.

The Brembo rotors are 355mm diameter 34mm width and 68mm friction width.

Simon.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:06 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you find that the stock Big Red's weren't up to the job on the track? (no flame intended -- I'm honestly curious.)
Old 02-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Noah,

Biig reds - although good - I found werent good enough.

Yes they stopped ok - but the upgrade came from a couple of different angles....

1st - my car is still heavy.
2nd - I actually USE my brakes.

Standard rotors and Pagid blacks = wear. Lots of it. As in 2 full sets per year and that = $$$$
+ I wanted better stopping power.

After looking into my many bolt on type options and weighing up the costs and what I do with the car - along with maintenace and rebuld options it was the only way to go. Yes it was expensive - butt he result speak for themselves.

Also (and get this) my new set up is LIGHTER as in almost 2.5Kg per corner!

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Outstanding work Simon, you really did a great job. Konstantin on this board has upgraded this last winter his 944 turbo with Cup brakes and he mentioned the challenges were quite serious, however the results are outstanding apparently. He is however using Gen II ceramic bakes if I recall correctly.

I will seriously look into this now.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Still on the fence here. Brembro F-50's would be an easy swap but it'd be a drag to replace them in a year if the F-50's plus RS rears aren't up to the task of say, Road America.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:27 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Crazy

Also (and get this) my new set up is LIGHTER as in almost 2.5Kg per corner!

Thanks,
Simon.
Simon that is a nice unsprung weight saving. Which parts of the new components save the weight ?
Is this type of set up suitable for road use or are we talking squeal city and unprotected corrosion prone parts ?
Old 02-09-2008, 03:06 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
Still on the fence here. Brembro F-50's would be an easy swap but it'd be a drag to replace them in a year if the F-50's plus RS rears aren't up to the task of say, Road America.
hey buddy, if you weren't pulling 170 up that front straight you wouldn;t have that problem
Old 02-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Jean - Thanks. I will email you the higher res ones shortly.

Brad - the issue of the F50 upgrade is exactly that. They are only the fronts - if you are really USING the brakes - then they may not be up to the task either. For me the reasons why I went with this set up was:
1 - Porsche parts (so easy to rebuild/replace.)
2 - Full package - therefore avoiding ABS and bias issues.
3 - Wear characteristics. These rotors HAVE lasted around 3 times as long as the standard Porsche ones - so in the long run they are cheaper - and you are able to buy JUST the rotors (sans hats) and save even more $$$.
4 - Pad choice. Using GT3 calipers means there is a LOT of choice of pads and the premium for them is nowhere near as bad for the F50.......

Also for reference - I also had my engineer calculate the swept areas of 2 other kits (GT and F50/RS IIRC) and the swept area was only around 5% more. As I wanted to use the standard wheels and not get some specially made OR run 19"s I couldnt fit the Brembo 8 piston....

TB - beleve it or not the bloody rotors are lighter as well as the caliper!!!. The weights I took are sans pads though - so with the larger pads - it might change.

I have been using the car as a DD since my Cayenne was written off by the big hailstorm here in December - and can report that the do not sqeal HALF as much as the old brakes (and am running Pagid BlacKs on both set ups.) I would say that the slotting has a lot to do with it???

As for corrosion protection - the calipers are stock GT3 Cup ones and the only exposed bits are the rotor hats and they hae some kind of coating. IIRC the rear (custom made) are painted - intersting to see how they last? I also updated to Braided lines - Im sure the solid ones would fare well in the Mother Land?

Thanks

Simon.

Last edited by Full Boost; 02-09-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I run the 14" brembos and the rotors do wear if you're pulling hard g's on deccel with slickish tires. I can imagine the cup brakes are insane.

simon- well played my friend.

Noah- if you're running street tires on the track, you won't need much more than big reds- but when the tires grip (r-comps, slicks, etc) you will FRY your pads, fluid and rotors on those 140-45 braking zones. track here has at least 4 or 5 braking zones where you have to scrub more than 30mph. I'm thinking about going with something more stout then the f50s and this is inspirational.

how long was the whole process? I talked to a cup guy here and to back you up on the cost- the actual rotors are only a few dozen more dollars than stock 993tt ones- it's the hats that are expensive.

big reds are 14 year old technology or something, and this stuff is new. I'd like to stop in 2008 computing speed, not 386mHz. if you're seriously fast on the track- you have to get the car stopped in time. I'm jealous
Old 02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

CJ,

Th process didnt take that long - and now that my shop has all the drawings (at my expense) the rear hats and adapters are an easy production. The front are stock cupcar - but I believe that they will be offering a kit which includes:

Front hub.
New bearings
Rotors + Hats for both Front and rear.
Mounting blocks (rear calipers)
and new solid lines.
With or wthour calipers and pads - but dont quote me.

IF you want - PM and I can give you some contact details.

Simon.

ohh - and there is no need to be jealous - just decide what you want - and get it done!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:46 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

One real nice feature of this upgrade is the use of monoblock calipers vs. the older two-piece type. This does add axial stiffness to the caliper. Theoretically speaking, this should give a firmer pedal.

What mods did you have to do to the front upright casting?

Last edited by chris walrod; 02-10-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:11 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Outstanding work Simon, you really did a great job. Konstantin on this board has upgraded this last winter his 944 turbo with Cup brakes and he mentioned the challenges were quite serious, however the results are outstanding apparently. He is however using Gen II ceramic bakes if I recall correctly.

I will seriously look into this now.
Thanks
Well, Konstantin isn't exactly the only one who has done that...

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/268211-brake-project-pictures.html

And mine was ready 2 years ago, although it has steel discs. And a working, original handbrake with a pretty slick adapter.

PS. Good job, Simon! I like people with vision and will to make that vision work!

Quick Reply: GT3 CUPCAR brakes on 993TT Pics....