Brake Upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jussi
I have just front upgraded carbon brakes, no money for whole set, so price is under half of that.. but maybe someday when I grow up ..

I remember that Jean calculated clutch effective weight (inertia) in somewhere else topic but can he or somebody else estimate what these 2.5kg + 2.5kg do for acceleration?
Will there be any bias balance issues by having those whoppers on the front and the stockers on the back ?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Jussi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Will there be any bias balance issues by having those whoppers on the front and the stockers on the back ?
That's what I have to find out.

btw. You have that Carrera GT, what do you think about that Gemballa's "MIRAGE GT BLACK EDITION" version? Would it be cool to do? At least if I were you, my car would be there already
Old 04-17-2008, 10:13 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

That's what I have to find out.
Please keep us posted, I'm very interested
btw. You have that Carrera GT, what do you think about that Gemballa's "MIRAGE GT BLACK EDITION" version? Would it be cool to do? At least if I were you, my car would be there already
I had a good look around that CGT at Essen show last year. Personally I thought it looked dreadful and completely ruined the CGT's looks

For me this look CGT is for people who have so much money that they just HAVE to have something different to their friends and neighbours CGTs and they don't care either about cost or what it turns out looking like as long as it looks like they have spent the $$$$$$$$$$$ on it !

On a technical basis Porsche spent so much time getting the aerodynamics on the CGT to work in order to make the car safe at its 200+mph top speed that allowing Gemballa to ruin all that hard work is pure sacriledge IMO.....

There was also a Techart GT Street at Essen with that matt black look, didn't like that either
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Has anyone here tried the Brembo 6 piston with 350mm discs like the ones Cargaphic and FVD sell?
I am about to pull the trigger on a set but only out of convenience and rush as I have an event on May 1st.

These ceramic kits look amazing BTW
Old 04-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
Has anyone here tried the Brembo 6 piston with 350mm discs like the ones Cargaphic and FVD sell?
I am about to pull the trigger on a set but only out of convenience and rush as I have an event on May 1st.

These ceramic kits look amazing BTW
Jean, can you estimate what that -2.5kg and -2.5kg do for acceleration?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jussi

It will take some time to calculate. I can give it a shot if I get some free time (from browsing this forum )
Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
Jussi

It will take some time to calculate. I can give it a shot if I get some free time (from browsing this forum )
Yes I understand, I know what you mean
btw, that 2.5+2.5 is actually 4.5+4.5 when counting also those lightweight Volks..
Old 05-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 210 Posts

Jean,

How did you go with the BRAKE upgrade?

Simon.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Simon

I have not made up my mind yet. I am exploring the Brembo GTR option, the AP racing option, your option, and the GT3 caliper / 997TT disc option, difficult to make a choice and very little data out there as to what is best. Did you notice any difference in lap times that can be directly attributed to braking?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 AM
vincentdds
Racer

Jean
I really like the current Brembo GTR setup on my 996TT. Lighter and more bite than the PCCB and AP racing set up I had on my GT2 . Great for the street with very little squealings and dust. I have been speaking with Race Technologies about custom making a set for my 993TT as well.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:52 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 210 Posts

Jean,

Yes - Most definantly.

Lap times are down - depending on track length - and I have not changed settings and the weekend just gone - I posted a PB - by more than 1 sec - on OLD tyres.....

This says also nothing about the increased confidence as well - I am still very mindful of where the fnish line is.... (my Garage )

I am no longer EATING through rotors and pad life is also extended - but with faster times comes more tyre wear !

If you want specifics - PM me and I will give you some data points.

Simon.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Vincent, that looks really nice, you have 350mm there I guess, good to know they are not a hindrance on the street, I was worried about dust and noise. Brembo can deliver a set within a couple of days for my 993TT so I guess they have all they need.

Simon, that's good to know, the Cup setup in particular has been very highly recommended to me by people in the know. Season is over now (43deg C today but going for a few test laps at the track in an hour), so I have more time to think about this. I am definitely interested in data if you have some. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade???