Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007 | 09:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by bertmerv
I'm having a similar issue to Boost Crazy, though not so severe. I don't want to do a brake upgrade. What Pagid pad combination do you recommend? I've tried orange front and rear, now running black front, orange rear. Have not tried yellows yet.
Hi:

Be aware that using Black (RS-14) in front and Orange (RS4-4) in the rear makes the brakes more front biased, not to the rear.

Installing Black (RS-14) in the rear and Oranges (RS4-4) in front moves the brake bias toward the rear and reduces the heat load on the front brakes.
Old 08-06-2007 | 10:40 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Jay:

Nossir, aside from being careful about trail braking until you get used to it.

The car's nose doesn't dive as much and the car's attitude under braking is flatter when the rear brakes are performing more work.

I have not felt any difference in pedal feel.
Thanks Steve, PM sent.
Old 08-06-2007 | 10:44 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Steve,

PM sent,

Simon.
Old 08-07-2007 | 02:37 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

PM's received,...

Thanks, gents.
Old 08-07-2007 | 10:55 AM
bertmerv
Intermediate

Thanks Steve,
The black front / orange rear combo is recommended under a number of supplier's listings for this item. I always thought it seemed a little backwards. I'll try your version! Any thoughts on yellows...on all four...or in combination with another color?
Old 08-07-2007 | 12:31 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use yellows on all four with my StopTechs and wouldn't use anything else, street or track.
Old 08-07-2007 | 12:48 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I use yellows on all four with my StopTechs and wouldn't use anything else, street or track.
Do you find the yellows tolerable for street driving?
Old 08-07-2007 | 01:48 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

They work great for me, less squeal than the orange compound and easy pedal effort when cool. Low temps here rarely are below 50° though.
Old 08-07-2007 | 11:08 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Don,

Can you please post some pics? I am trying to decide between :
StopTech
Brembo GT (OUCH!!!)
'04 Cup car

My major concern - (like with the JIC's i bought) is product back up...

Thanks in advance,

Simon.
Old 08-08-2007 | 12:51 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll have to get my 15 year old to do pics tomorrow. Slotted rotors are still good after 35K miles, lots of track use and wearing out a set of orange pads with nasty transfer problems. I'd be real surprised if any support were needed, as I've had no issues and have run these things hard.
Old 08-08-2007 | 12:56 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Don,

Thanks again - 35K Miles!!! Holy Sheet!!! Not a bad endorsement for Stoptech.....

Hard is relative I guess - but looking forward to the pics - What is Rufus running - was going to ask OFE but he will just say he bought them cause you told him too!! - or they had a RUF badge on them!

Thanks again,

Simon.
Old 08-08-2007 | 12:59 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve got some Ruf 15" front brakes that only fit inside 19" wheels and use crazy expensive pads. StopTech uses stock size front pads at both ends, so you can rotate them and even out the wear.
Old 08-08-2007 | 02:13 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Simon,

Good to hear that you are not really getting fade with that setup! That was my main concern.

I find that I wear out the rotors (in terms of thickness) at about the same time the cracks start to get too long (distance between the holes; which is the rule of thumb for replacing them). So, the cracks are not the deciding point alone for replacing rotors for me. Also, I wear out the fronts at twice the rate to the rears.

If I were you, I'd look at the cost of replacing the rotors often vs. a big brake upgrade. The rotors for these cars are not all that expensive so a brake upgrade is financially really hard to justify. I doubt you'll get significantly longer life from bigger brakes and the rotors will cost more. My guess is that it will be a wash, if not more expensive with bigger brakes. Even with the RS rears, I bet it will take a lot of track time to come out even vs just replacing the rotors slightly more often.

I would first change your pads to what Steve recommends. I personally have used Pagid orange on all fours and Pagid yellows on all fours and they performed similarly; brake feel is better with the yellows for me. I will try Yellows in the front and RS14 Blacks in the rear when this set of pads wears out to get a better brake balance.

In the end, these are fast and heavy cars; brake rotors are a major wear item...
Old 08-08-2007 | 02:44 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Pete,

Not really getting fade - BUT - I still am "wanting" for more brakes in few situations.....

As I have said before - "using" the brakes is a relative term - to put it into a little perspective - I am faster in my car (full street weight + By Passes + LWF and good suspension) than some of the lightweight GT3's running slicks - driven by reasonable drivers... and am a poofteenth off beating some WELL set up and well driven light gt3's....

Brakes are first - the next step is horsepower!

It looks like i have come across a "DEAL" that may be too good to pass up - will keep you posted.

BTW - thanks for all the reponses and PM's - you guys rock!

Simon.
Old 08-08-2007 | 07:20 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

In the same boat as you Simon. While not going thru 3 rotors a season I have boiled SRF even with cooling ducts and bigger undercar scoops. I'm going to try making sure the holes are clean one last time, maybe try a headlight mod ducting air to the rotor per viperbob, pagid blacks in the back. If they still fade then it's either change how you brake or step up to 355's.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade???