Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yoko's Avan 048 track and street.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoko's Avan 048 track and street.

I've slipped back to the gentleman racer, you know where you drive to the track and race all weekend and hope something doesn't break and then drive home. You're suppose to be able to do that in a Porsche unless you get hit by a 49 Ford.
Being that I haven't succumbed to Jean, TB and others who have sold their front drive componetes on ebay for better acceleration, I'm faced with only several choices for Blackie's track shoes. There's a lot of input on the 993 board but because of diameter, us 993tt have fewer choices.
I've just finished my second weekend on the Advan 048's and I have to say I like em. First off, they stick out of the box unlike the MPSC. They are very predictable and give you fair warning when you run out of talent. Because they are steel belted DOT approved you can drive them to the track and back. They wear well and are easy to dial in. Downside (nothing is perfect) they are noisy. Since I can't hear, or is it, I don't listen,... oh I can't remember anyway.
I prefer them over MPSC's for price and performance. They're not as fast as Corsa's but I had a real cold track .
I understand there's a number of new tires coming out, BFG, Goodyear, and some from the far east. Most will be track only, so our choices are limited.
I'd give these a try if your looking for an R tire that also needs street durablilty.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i dont know if toyo RA1 or nitto NT01 are available your sizes. but i like both of them more than mpsc.
i have driven A048 on 2000 lbs lotus, and i still prefer RA1's. you can drive those on street as well. try a set shaved to 5/32 or 3/32.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Jimmy,
I am about to go down this route as we speak. Last season (remebering that they are reversed down here) I ran the MPSC and wondered what to run this year.
The MPSC were OK - took a a lap or 2 to dial in (which is ok - my head needs to dial in anyway) - but I am going to try the Bridgestone RE55 SR compound. They are available in both SR (Sprint Racing = med) and TT (Time Trial = soooft) I have had nothing but good reports form the guys in "heavy" cars so thought they mightbe worht a try.

Anyone heard otherwise?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good info. All I know is two hot laps on ps2's and it's grease time.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:07 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boost Crazy
Jimmy,
I am about to go down this route as we speak. Last season (remebering that they are reversed down here) I ran the MPSC and wondered what to run this year.
The MPSC were OK - took a a lap or 2 to dial in (which is ok - my head needs to dial in anyway) - but I am going to try the Bridgestone RE55 SR compound. They are available in both SR (Sprint Racing = med) and TT (Time Trial = soooft) I have had nothing but good reports form the guys in "heavy" cars so thought they mightbe worht a try.

Anyone heard otherwise?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.
Simon,
Let us know how the stones work out. Doesn't look like the RE55 is available in the USA.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

What sizes are you running Jim? I'm about to take the plunge on Yokos too, looking at 315 rear and 235 front.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:16 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Jim
I wish you could get your hands on a datalogger to compare your runs with different tires. The information you can get out of it is really phenomenal. What I was able to gather is that the Hoosier R3S05 gave me more grip than the MPSC (about 0.1G), but what is really better is the predictability of the tire when cold...and warm alike. GT3s don't suffer from our same problems, torque at the wheels just make our cars snap, and MPSCs don't help.

That is until you see a stock 997Gt3RS putting over 0.1Gs on you despite your almost race setup on your car and Hoosiers, while he is on stock (new version) 19" MPSCs.

The question to you and to get back on topic, is how would you rate the A048 vs. the Hoosier?

Thanks

BTW, did not sell anythng on Ebay, I have the parts at home staring at me everytime I am back from the track having experienced snap 2WD oversteer at some stupid speeds.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:25 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Jim
The track tyre stuff is way over my head....... but I wonder if you could comment further on the effect of your new front splitter/spoiler.

I know you mentioned about it before but I thought now you have used it some more can you give us an appraisal as to the difference it makes (if any) compared to the TS spoiler you had before ?

TIA
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jean, the 048 is slower and less sticky than the Hoosier S05 and S06 compounds. The 048 is a great tire for a DE guy, especially an intermediate, because they are communicative and don't operate in as narrow window as the MPSC. The MPSC does not work well outside its temperature window and on some cars and some drivers it is hard to get them to proper temperature, especially with a street type alignment. The Hoosier is acts more like a full slick than a 048. The 048 lasts longer and has more consistent grip over more heat cycles than does the Hoosier.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

My 0.02...
I also bought a set of A048 last year, stock size. Like them alot. Predictable, they wear very well. Like Jay said, noisy for daily driving but with FS bypass, does'nt make a big difference... Even tough, I decided to buy a second set of wheels and tires for the street.
I cant compare with other R compound tires (I'm new to this), but would definitly recommend these tires for DE over regular performance tires...
Pierre
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks Geoffrey

Tough to beat those two "R" tires it seems as far as grip is concerned. The new gen MPSC that are fitted on the 997GT3 seem to be much more compliant, they look like they are a bit softer. They still snap however.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm w/ Mooty and keep three sets of 275/335 ra-1's. They don't snap at all but do tramline on the street w/ the current toe out alignment up front. Gonna try to compare them to ps2's next month if I can figure out how to work this data recorder.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
275/335 ra-1's.

Are your fenders rolled much?

Greg H.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Werksracer
AutoX

Yokohama Avan 048's
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jean, what do you mean by "snap" The Michelins are a funny tire and they do work well in their narrow operating range, much like Hoosiers (although I think the Hoosier is better). Outside that, they do break away with little to no warning as you drive them on the edge.

Quick Reply: Yoko's Avan 048 track and street.