Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Geoffrey
This is what I mean..ahem, maybe I shouldn't be posting this moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMQTD-loqM video from an open track day. Lateral Gs on this turn 1.15G, unexpected oversteer, 0.8 Bar and 5.5K RPM or so (my 8k is at 12:00 o'clock). Tires were at good temps I would think as it was the 3rd lap or so.
I like MPSC a lot, when they are at optimum temps as you said they are fantastic, but if you lose traction (mistake or other) they are not forgiving IMO.

Last edited by Jean; 03-09-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Are your fenders rolled much?

Greg H.
They were rolled some w/ a bat. No rubbing except minimally at the inside front fenderwells. Nice save Jean, lol.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, when they are hot, I find they do communicate well, but when they are cold, forget about it. They are definately NOT a tire for a beginner or intermediate driver which is a shame because the shoulders are solid and can withstand track abuse, unlike street tires.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Brad -

would you mind sharing your wheel widths and offsets?

Greg H.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:02 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
What sizes are you running Jim? I'm about to take the plunge on Yokos too, looking at 315 rear and 235 front.
Don,
315 and 235's.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:33 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jean
Jim
I wish you could get your hands on a datalogger to compare your runs with different tires. The information you can get out of it is really phenomenal. What I was able to gather is that the Hoosier R3S05 gave me more grip than the MPSC (about 0.1G), but what is really better is the predictability of the tire when cold...and warm alike. GT3s don't suffer from our same problems, torque at the wheels just make our cars snap, and MPSCs don't help.

That is until you see a stock 997Gt3RS putting over 0.1Gs on you despite your almost race setup on your car and Hoosiers, while he is on stock (new version) 19" MPSCs.

The question to you and to get back on topic, is how would you rate the A048 vs. the Hoosier?

Thanks

BTW, did not sell anythng on Ebay, I have the parts at home staring at me everytime I am back from the track having experienced snap 2WD oversteer at some stupid speeds.
Jean,
I've compiled a lot of data and based on my experience over the long run (9 years) the Hoosiers are 2 seconds a lap faster than anything else (R tires) on a 2.5 mile road circuit. Huge downside on Hoosiers, you just can't drive to the track on them. I've tried and they pick up every type of debris you can imagine.
So, they are out of the equation.
Here's the order of my lap times:
Hoosiers
Pirelli Corsa's
Yoko Advan A048
Kumho VictoRacer V700
MPSC
BFG R1's
Goodyear GSCS
Pirelli P Zero shaved

I've also run Pirelli slicks and to be honest they were only a little quicker than the Hoosiers with about the same wear. You really need a much different set up running slicks and I wan't ready to change out the springs. The new Nitto tire looks interesting, Toyo doesn't have the sizes for the all wheel drive. Goodyear has a new tire in porsche sizes but it looks like a track only tire like the Hoosier. I'd be happy to hear how other tires stack up.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Jim
The track tyre stuff is way over my head....... but I wonder if you could comment further on the effect of your new front splitter/spoiler.

I know you mentioned about it before but I thought now you have used it some more can you give us an appraisal as to the difference it makes (if any) compared to the TS spoiler you had before ?

TIA
Toby,
Slightly more downforce and more control under braking. Balances the rear wing better than the TS lip. I'd keep the TS unless you change out the rear wing.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Brad -

would you mind sharing your wheel widths and offsets?

Greg H.
forgeline rims, 9"/11.5", 55mm/52mm offsets
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
Jean,
I've compiled a lot of data and based on my experience over the long run (9 years) the Hoosiers are 2 seconds a lap faster than anything else (R tires) on a 2.5 mile road circuit. Huge downside on Hoosiers, you just can't drive to the track on them. I've tried and they pick up every type of debris you can imagine.
So, they are out of the equation.
Here's the order of my lap times:
Hoosiers
Pirelli Corsa's
Yoko Advan A048
Kumho VictoRacer V700
MPSC
BFG R1's
Goodyear GSCS
Pirelli P Zero shaved

I've also run Pirelli slicks and to be honest they were only a little quicker than the Hoosiers with about the same wear. You really need a much different set up running slicks and I wan't ready to change out the springs. The new Nitto tire looks interesting, Toyo doesn't have the sizes for the all wheel drive. Goodyear has a new tire in porsche sizes but it looks like a track only tire like the Hoosier. I'd be happy to hear how other tires stack up.
Very surprising/interesting! I have the Hoosier, Corsa and MPSC, Corsa for the street and track is wonderful. The Hoosier are all the time on my car nowadays. The track is 3 minutes away so it is no issue. But surprised about your times with the MPSC.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Yoko's Avan 048 track and street.