Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a K16/24 hybrid, ECU, 5-Bar Upgrade a Significantly Noticible Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a K16/24 hybrid, ECU, 5-Bar Upgrade a Significantly Noticible Difference?

I know the guys selling this stuff will say ABSOLUTELY!, but it's only a 10%-15% increase in hp.

To those of you who have done this, will I REALLY feel a significant difference in acceleration? Or, is this another incremental addition that eventially leads to a 3.8 or RUF conversion.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this project and don't want to set myself up for a $8,000 disappointment. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:59 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Power upgrades never live up to our (admittedly excessive) expectations. I even expected more from my Andial 3.8 project. When your starting point is 400hp in a 3300 lb car, it's tough to be objective.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:03 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

What ever you get, you will eventually get used to it. You will go to your tech and say "My car doesn't feel as strong as it used to." He will get in, drive it and come back and smack you on the back of the head. Or is it just ME that happens to
Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my approximate set up and there is a significant difference from stock. I also have muffler by passes which is a great mod as it loses weight at the rear of the car and allows for quicker spool up.
Some claim this set up is good for about 480hp.

Obviously, you can get more crazy and your ending point is up to you and your wallet. Depends what you are looking for. You can also strap a jet engine to the top of your car!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:00 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
What ever you get, you will eventually get used to it. You will go to your tech and say "My car doesn't feel as strong as it used to." He will get in, drive it and come back and smack you on the back of the head. Or is it just ME that happens to
On my last trip to Andial I said that and Dieter said it definitely was time for him to retire!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
"My car doesn't feel as strong as it used to." He will get in, drive it and come back and smack you on the back of the head. Or is it just ME that happens to
LOL! This is verbatim what happened to me a couple weeks ago. I was starting to believe Dieter (Andial), that I was "de-sensitized to the power"...That is until Tuesday, when some pick-up truck with a Harley Davidson emblem on the side beat me to 70 mph. Now it's whatever it takes!

Funny, Deiter smacks you and says "you're de-sensitized. This thing is strong". Then JJayB gets in and says; "Damn this thing is slow".
Old 03-24-2006, 12:38 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

At some point upgrades become traction dependant. Do you want to track your car or just do an occasional 60-120 run. IMHO, these cars work great up to 520 hp. Beyond that get out the BIG check book as your going to have to crack the case and get a kidney belt to use the power. I recently drove a 3.8 with stock suspension and told the owner this is fastest car to drive to the cemetery.
If your measuring straight line speed you will see some incremential improvements with each power additive. You will be told that the turbo's will require a bigger intercooler. Or the turbo will work better with 100 cel cats. And of course you must run the K&N filer to get the full benefit of the cam and turbo package. If your measuring track times the same will not hold true because of the suspension and chassis upgrades needed. Hot rodding is an american tradition. Everyone on this forum wants something a little faster than the guy in the lane next to them. Enter the tuners, they are preying on our dna weekness. Will 450 hp feel better than 400? A few years ago I, was trying to break into the 1:29's at Willow. I had the power but not the suspension. SLICKS, thats it, SLICKS! That will do it. NOT. . Did the guy selling me the slicks tell me that I needed double the spring rates.
Your question was answered by Scott, it will feel better until you get use to it. The tuners have us, its just like crack.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig Trask
I know the guys selling this stuff will say ABSOLUTELY!, but it's only a 10%-15% increase in hp.

To those of you who have done this, will I REALLY feel a significant difference in acceleration? Or, is this another incremental addition that eventially leads to a 3.8 or RUF conversion.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this project and don't want to set myself up for a $8,000 disappointment. Thanks.
Here's a real world example.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/231266-1-4-mile-times-post-mods.html

JJ is right in that modding much more than this and you're risking bending a rod like Toby did.
997TT's are starting at 122K...
Oh hey, JJ, will 500/700 springs supports Hoosiers/slicks btw?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:29 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

NOS is the answer... lol

seriously... talk to kevin

there are alot of little things that can be done to improve your car's setup for YOUR specific goals.
take gearing as an example...

just my honest 0.2
Old 03-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget weight. Weight is the big bandit and there are several things that can be done with it to get a quicker car. So even if you reach up to 520hp and don't want to go beyond it, you can still make your car quicker.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:15 AM
Stummel
Pro

If you go step by step with little mods you will only feel unsignificant gains and will likely end up with a package that is not an optimum.

Go with an integrated package and do not forget that the car was 100+k USD new. An 8k USD upgrade is unlikely to double the cars performance.

For me the 430 PS vs. the 408 PS made the car a bit more fun to drive. A 480 hp package will wake up the car and give you a lot more torque in the mid range. That is a lot of the fun for daily use.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:08 AM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why not go w/ Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks. His kits are matched perfectly (turbo+exhaust+ECU programming). And his customer service is the best!! Many
a Rennlister can back up my statements!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:47 AM
bigimp65
Advanced

over the past 6 months i test drove 4 stock 993tt while searching for one to buy...then i drove and purchased a 97 with mods that belonged to r-lister tjnif993t...kevin's zero-clearance turbos, upsolute computer,5-bar fuel, race cats no mufflers,pss9's,strut bar,rsr suspension pieces, and more. HUGE difference
Old 03-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Woodster
Drifting

In answer to your question,
I went from stock to a set-up similar to what you are talking and I felt the performance
gain was very significant (once I got it dialed in!). As soon as a GTS Viper passed me
on the straightaway at the track...I wanted more, the next step was huge (huger)
$$ 3.8 jugs etc. I decided since the 996TT is much more efficient power plant
I would restart my efforts there (with a 996TT water cooler). this is what I have
done.
Marty
Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by JJayB
Do you want to track your car or just do an occasional 60-120 run? -- If your measuring track times the same will not hold true because of the suspension and chassis upgrades needed. Hot rodding is an american tradition. Everyone on this forum wants something a little faster than the guy in the lane next to them.
...This is the conundrum. I don't know my own ultimate goal for the car.

JJayB, you know how I love the track, but any more than the above mentioned mods and who am I competing against? More than an M030 puts me in POC Production Class. I can push my track times down for my own personal satisfaction, but expecting to keep up with a Production Class race car is unrealistic. I tried to make a race car out of my last 993TT. It wasn't street friendly, yet not competitive in the class.

I think I'll go to a modest hp package (just enough to beat that jerk in the Harley Davidson truck), and start shopping for a J Production race car.

Quick Reply: Is a K16/24 hybrid, ECU, 5-Bar Upgrade a Significantly Noticible Difference?