Old 10-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Default It's like Christmas.. My new dyno is up and running

Christmas arrived a little early for me this year. I have always wanted to aquire a dyno, and with the new EFI kits for the 930 and 965, it was pretty much a must situation.

There are some very good dyno's out in the marketplace today. And you really have to seperate them into two groups. The first being inertia type sweep dyno's that will give you your HP and torque like a Dynojet, and Superflow. The next being eddy current and or water/fluid brake dyno's that have electric motors or disk brakes or water brake or hydraulic/oil brake. These systems will apply a load and hold the load at any RPM. The above references were a general discription.

When looking at the various dyno's here is a list of what I found.

MAHA
DynaPack
Dyno Dynamics
Superflow Eddy current (New)
Mustang

Although there are many other system made around the world, these were my Top Five units that I decided to look at. Out of these 5, I would only put a 4 wheel drive car on the Mustang.. Even though all of these other units have had success with Porsche's on them without incident. However, Porsche states that the dyno must be mechanically linked.. Not electronically linked.. This again was my decision and I felt that as easy as it is to disconnect the driveshafts for my tuning needs a 2 wheel version was all that I needed. I did like the MAHA unit, however it is a monster, it requires stock in a utility company, the air handling system alone was 30K. My attention started to focus on the DynaPack, and Mustang. I received a sales call from the US distributor of the Dyno Dynamics sytem, this dyno also required some attention. After speaking with Guenter, he mentioned the new Superflow, that threw a wrench into the works. However, this system got quickly removed from my list when I COULD not get any questions answered, I was promised that someone would call me back with answers to my questions but I never received the call.. You hear of horror stories with different dyno companies about the after sales support or the lack of it.. I still feel that the Superflow unit would be a top contender with what it can do and the history of the company over the years.

For myself. I ended up with the DynaPack system. The software is top notch, the company and customer support has been top notch. Since this system is portable, it can be moved around the shop or even loaded in a trailer and brought to the track or event. Securing a car down on a dyno and having a bay space taken up, in the end moved my decision from the Mustang and Dyno Dynamic system.. I must include that Dyno Dynamic does have a portable dyno unit, but in the end I chose the DynaPack.

I can now run baselines and back to back tests with my own cars and engines. I can test new turbochargers and programming. Results like TB has recently posted can be done.. Testing the stock units, to K24/27 will be done. Finding out the differences between stock 400 cell, and 100 cell cats vs cat bypasses.. And intercoolers.. I'm definately looking forwards to all the potential "myth busting"

Old 10-01-2005, 10:47 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Cool deal! Did you deal with John Card at Dynapack? He is a great guy that I deal with in Formula Atlantic racing.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:48 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin,
Congrats, I know the feeling, I also have a Dynapack unit,(4wheel drive)had it for almost 2years,no problems with it whatsoever,good luck!,cheers,Sonny.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chris, John handles the service and tech dept. Scott Lampkin is great to deal with.. Chris do they tune and monitor all the Formula Atlantic cars with a DynaPack?

Sonny, I guess that all we have to do is "maybe" in 5 years replace the hydraulic fluid... Thanks..
Old 10-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Kevin

I can only imagine what kind of value this is going to bring to you, to this board and to your customers. A tool like this one in the hands of someone with your technical skills, curiosity and honesty is a nuke! I can't wait to start seeing back to back comparisons of turbos, exhausts, intercoolers and the likes.
I know how badly you have been wanting the dyno, congratulations and I could not be happier for you.
ENJOY IT!!
Old 10-02-2005, 04:18 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

truly deserving!

good luck hope to hear more about it soon
Old 10-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know how you gonna spend your time this winter
I'm really looking forward to see various results with various combinations.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:59 AM
MOD500
Racer

Nice one
Old 10-02-2005, 07:21 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Kevin

I can only imagine what kind of value this is going to bring to you, to this board and to your customers. A tool like this one in the hands of someone with your technical skills, curiosity and honesty is a nuke! I can't wait to start seeing back to back comparisons of turbos, exhausts, intercoolers and the likes.
I know how badly you have been wanting the dyno, congratulations and I could not be happier for you.
ENJOY IT!!
I second the above
Kevin
What are you going to do about the air flow and in particular recreating the flow through the I/C ?
I only know the basics and realise that an operator must work to a very consistent set of parameters to keep all the numbers comparable. Could you share some of your thoughts on this, presumably there are different loadings you can run the brake at, if so, what sort of "on road" scenario will you be gunning for ? If possible, a 6th gear road "loading" with 120mph air flow will produce the most Porsche like numbers.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:41 AM
sonny1
Banned

There is not much it can be done to replicate the air flow thru the intercooler,what I do is to pressure feed the intercooler with a 18" ID hose to the intercooler delivering fresh air press to it.This is a great tool to measure specific changes made to an engine,it is also a great tool for tuning for drivability issues.Almost always a car delivers more HP on the street,(say 10-15% more), than in the dyno.
Kevin, you will love the fact that you don't need rollers,you won't have tire slip problems which it is a plus on delivering reliable hp figures pull after pull.,plus the noise,less ambient noise is a plus with this unit.,enjoy.cheers,Sonny.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:49 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny1
There is not much it can be done to replicate the air flow thru the intercooler,what I do is to pressure feed the intercooler with a 18" ID hose to the intercooler delivering fresh air press to it.
I had something like this in mind:

RS Tuning's engine dyno set up: As stressfull as a dynojet run

If I were Kevin I would want to get my set up so that a factory 408PS car was actually showing 408PS (or any other known Porsche hp car), noting the speed of air flow thru intercoolers and the loading/all other parameters needed to get to this number so that you are showing Porsche comparative numbers and not some of the inflated numbers which one sees elswhere which results in a 600hp 996tt having worst acceleration numbers than a 520 hp one
Old 10-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Kevin, This is a huge score for all rennlisters! We want you to now
gather some info and host your own "Myth busters" show.
TB great idea, use a stock Porsche as baseline!
Airflow: Wouldnt a Huge fan blowing 100-120 be very expensive and require
a special room? This will be a critical factor I would think.
great stuff.
mk
Old 10-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Woodster
Drifting

??? with no rollers, does the machine somehow bolt onto
hubs??
Old 10-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The intercooler air supply will consist of 2 2400CFM fans with 12" flex duct positioned over the intercooler similar to the first picture that TB has shown. Ambient temps and intercooler temps are also data-logged. One nice thing is that in Washington, the air is damp and cool, it is very common to draw 55-65 outside makeup air.. The weather inputs in the dyno this mornig showed, 58 degrees and 78% humidity..

The key is to have baseline engine numbers before the modifications start. Let's say for all practical debate, my test engine, has solid rockers and cam timing is better than the factory. And for a baseline I whip out 415PS.. I would run these results and use that as the comparison starting point.

Marty, the wheels are taken off and adapters are bolted to the hubs. Thus we have a direct drive coupling very similar to a engine dyno. Infact we have to input the gear ratio of the car into the software.. As Sonny mentioned I don't have to worry about wheel/tire slip.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:56 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

For you application I would agree it is the best choice. Its not likely you will be bolting and unbolting cars on it 10x a day. The abilty to roll it into the corner is appealing as well in a shop with limited space.

Can we expect to see published dyno sheets from you in the future? You never did publish anything from your time spent on the MAHA.

Hope this really helps you develop future turbos.

Quick Reply: It's like Christmas.. My new dyno is up and running