Sponsored by:

PPI tale of woe

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:49 PM
frisbee54
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI tale of woe

Well got the results of the leakdown test on the car I am looking at in AZ, other than 39% leakdown loss of one cylinder car is great. Don Jackson Enginerring did the PPI, since I felt I was already paying top dollar for a 60k mile TT at $59900 I told seller if he pays for the valve job I will still buy the car, its the paint to sample yellow 96 TT in AZ that is advertized on Auto Trader car is very nice except for the bad exhaust valve so I'm hoping seller will pay for the valve job and I can still buy the car if not I will continue my search. Doug
Old 01-25-2005, 08:58 PM
frisbee54
Racer

Good news everyone I bought the 96TT with the bad valve, I was going to pay $59900 for it if PPI was ok, the seller sold me the car for $51000 so I will be able to be in the car with a brand new engine for the same amount of $ I was going to spend. I'm excited to say the least, the car was paint to sample a bright Ferrari fly yellow has full supple leather heated seats with lumbar both driver and passenger sides also has the root wood dash, shift lever and e-brake, turbo script door sills, crest in wheel centers I don't know how this is possible but I spoke to the original owner and he said he spent $20K on a McIntosh audio system which isn't visable from inside the car, the rest of the PPi will be done by tomorrow and if everything else is OK I will wire the $ to the seller and have the car shipped out here and then have Viper Bob or some other good mechanic do the rebuild for me and I will address the weak link in the motor by putting in the updated vave guides and should have a motor thats good for 150k+ miles Doug
Old 01-25-2005, 09:51 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations Doug
I can imagine the conversation with Bob "Hey Doug no problem we'll be glad to take of that R&R for you. Have you thought about what else you would like to do while you're in there like..."

Have fun
-CJ
Old 01-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Doug:

Sounds like you might land an awesome TT for a good price. This said, I hope you are not being too optimistic about going through a TT engine ( or even upper end) properly for $9000 including labor without knowing all of how's and why's of how the cylinder leak got to 39 percent...

FWIW, I would discuss the details of the PPI findings with SEVERAL deeply experienced 911 engine shops to get a range of price estimates for this level and kind of work. I am suggesting this as there are truly few shops that can deal with these engines. When you get various estimates, you will likely see shops will come in all over the map on the estimate for this kind of work. Be prepared. Ask lots of questions and most important be comfortable with who you choose !!!

Parts bills could mount up fast with the ever popular "while were in here" type things, like the clutch, turbo seals, turbo plumbing, VC, CV's LSD clutches and so on.

I contemplated a 993 engine rebuild 2 years ago on a perfectly good 90K mile NA 3.6. I could have easily spent $6000 on the basic rebuild pieces with the basic head machine work alone. All this $$$ and I did not include the basic labor for removal, disassembly, engine assembly, installation. Given the many aspects of these motors, I might also choose to break the engine in on a dyno, then install it in the car...

Truly I am not trying to rain on the idea of this car as it is a rare (awesome) color and fully loaded. The price for the base car seems great ! I am just suggesting to take a long look at what you are willing to get into up front and how much you will be in the car by the time you are ready to get in and drive it...

Happy contemplation !

$0.02
Old 01-26-2005, 12:03 AM
frisbee54
Racer

Thanks for the advice Jim. I've been talking to our buddy Brad about this also and he gave me some good info. This may take a little longer to put together as the seller called me back and wants to take the car to another shop for a 2nd opinion as he wants to make sure the 1st mech whom he referred me to isn't just trying to get some work, he said he will honor our deal if 2nd mech. confirms problem he just can't believe it as he thinks it runs great at this point I'm not going to worry about it if this one doesn't work out it just gets me closer to one that will Doug
Old 01-26-2005, 01:04 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the factory 490hp upgrade referred to in the AutoTrader ad? The car looks great....fly yellow is on my shortilist of 993TT colors
Old 01-26-2005, 02:25 PM
frisbee54
Racer

Hi David thats a good question and I think this is a # that has been passed from the salesman to the original buyer and then on to the current owner I spoke to the 1st owner and he said the car had a special factory chip and exhaust and that the car was built for one of the Porsche race car drivers Cort Wagoneer? but car took to long to complete and they ended up giving him another car so I dont put much stock in the 490 hp # Doug
Old 01-26-2005, 04:49 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the car. VB will treat you rite on the rebuild. You can also check with Rob at SCARGO in San Rafael. He has a lot of neat tricks for our cars.

Last edited by K24madness; 01-26-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you bought the car in AZ there is one of the best Porsche Turbo engine builders in the country there. Bob Holcomb is his name, I think he is in Scottsdale.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:07 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

A second, properly done test is a good idea. Did they really narrow it down to a valve or were they guessing (versus piston rings leaking)? Once in a while some carbon debris can get in the valve to seat area such that it leaks during this type of static test.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:22 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Did they run a compression test as well as the leakdown?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:15 PM
frisbee54
Racer

The mechanic said it was definitly an exhaust valve and didnt do a compression test. I will find out more after 2nd mechanic inspects the car, the seller is paying for this one so depending what he finds I may need to get a 3rd opinion if I'm still interested pending his findings. Doug
Old 01-27-2005, 07:41 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Try to have it run on a dyno. It would tell you a lot about the true health of the engine.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What would a dyno tell you?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:07 AM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

If there is a real problem with the exhaust valve in one cylinder it would be way down in power.

Quick Reply: PPI tale of woe