993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Twin Turbo or F355 Berlinetta

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Twin Turbo or F355 Berlinetta

Hello guys and gals. A few months ago I started researching what my next car will be and I have narrowed it down to most likely a 993 Twin Turbo or an F355 Berlinetta. From what I have found, they are both in similar price ranges for cars of the same years, and both seem to be quite a bit of fun to drive, and I intend to drive the car. No garage queens here.

My question for you is multi-part:

1.) How many of you considered the F355 (or other Ferrari) when buying your 993 Twin Turbo?

2.) For those of you that did consider a Ferrari as well, what made you buy the Porsche instead?

3.) Do you regret buying the Porsche for any reason?

4.) What are some key issues to look out for as common problems with the 993 Twin Turbo?

To add some perspective into my use of the car, I intend to drive it about 15,000 miles per year and possibly more. I need a car that can comfortably, and reliably, travel the 1,000+mile round-trip between my locations in Indiana and Canada. I currently make this run in one of my modified NSX's and love the high speed drive, but some of the area is pretty remote so I cannot have the 993 or F355 leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Okay, that should be about it. I appreciate all of your assistance and any pointers you may have in helping me make my decision.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1.) Count me in, I also was thinking of a 550.
2.) Quality, quality, quality. You can get the same joy from a Ferrari but with a Porsche I sleep better at night. I'm not a burnout type of guy, so 4WD was really a preference to me. And the performance of a 993 Turbo is better than a 355 or a 550. Also Porsches are more well known and easier to maintain.
3.) No, it's the very best entertainment with your pants on.
4.) http://www.993tt.com/ look at "Buying a 993 Twin Turbo". Common problem, not mentioned in the article is an addiction to modifications slowly comes creeping up your back. Suddenly you got a rude little devil sitting on your right shoulder not whispering but almost yelling; More! More!

You might think the devil is a joke thing, but it's dead serious.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I considered a Ferrari 330/365 GTC, a 512M and an early 360... they all had one thing in common. Felt like they were built by Fragile Inc. esp the 330 and 365 GTC.

Then looked at Porkers starting with 996 GT3 and Turbo... until the sales rep showed me a 993 RS. The rest is history.

I like the solid feel of the P better. But in the end, its your call. Enjoy
Old 10-10-2004, 12:41 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your NSX gets a 10 for reliability, the 993tt gets an 8 and the 355 gets a 4.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitch,

If you do a search, you'll find informative comments by many of us on previous threads.

In summary, I test drove several Ferraris (355, 360, and 456) before buying the 993TT. I'll echo Monique's comment that they all felt fragile. It was unbelievable how many problems each Ferrari had, and each dealer salesman admitted it was par for the course. Simply falling apart with only a few thousand miles on them. Future potential maintenance bills on any of the Ferraris was truly frightening.

In addition, the performance was simply inferior to the 993TT in terms of straight line acceleration or cornering ability. My 993TT has spent 25 days on the track without a single reliability hiccup except for a turbo hose that blew off under sustained boost. Easily reattached.

The Ferraris are sexy, and the visual and aural excitement is certainly worth something if you can afford it. However, it's very difficult to make the argument for a Ferrari over a Porsche on anything other than purely emotional grounds.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
I considered a Ferrari 330/365 GTC, a 512M and an early 360... they all had one thing in common. Felt like they were built by Fragile Inc. esp the 330 and 365 GTC.
I disagree. The 360 cannot be compared with these older cars. At least, not in terms of build quality. Mine is even better than my 993 was.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rassel
1.) Count me in, I also was thinking of a 550.
2.) Quality, quality, quality. You can get the same joy from a Ferrari but with a Porsche I sleep better at night. I'm not a burnout type of guy, so 4WD was really a preference to me. And the performance of a 993 Turbo is better than a 355 or a 550. Also Porsches are more well known and easier to maintain.
3.) No, it's the very best entertainment with your pants on.
4.) http://www.993tt.com/ look at "Buying a 993 Twin Turbo". Common problem, not mentioned in the article is an addiction to modifications slowly comes creeping up your back. Suddenly you got a rude little devil sitting on your right shoulder not whispering but almost yelling; More! More!

You might think the devil is a joke thing, but it's dead serious.

Thank you. I will check out that website and see if that can answer some of my questions. I know how that modification bug can bite. It bit me on the NSX's and luckily I think I have it under control now.

I was left on the side of the road TWICE in one week with a 348ts and that has me a little bit nervous about another Ferrari. Again, thank you for your input.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Your NSX gets a 10 for reliability, the 993tt gets an 8 and the 355 gets a 4.
That is kind of what I was thinking, I am just glad that someone else was estimating the same for these cars.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anir
Mitch,

If you do a search, you'll find informative comments by many of us on previous threads.

In summary, I test drove several Ferraris (355, 360, and 456) before buying the 993TT. I'll echo Monique's comment that they all felt fragile. It was unbelievable how many problems each Ferrari had, and each dealer salesman admitted it was par for the course. Simply falling apart with only a few thousand miles on them. Future potential maintenance bills on any of the Ferraris was truly frightening.

In addition, the performance was simply inferior to the 993TT in terms of straight line acceleration or cornering ability. My 993TT has spent 25 days on the track without a single reliability hiccup except for a turbo hose that blew off under sustained boost. Easily reattached.

The Ferraris are sexy, and the visual and aural excitement is certainly worth something if you can afford it. However, it's very difficult to make the argument for a Ferrari over a Porsche on anything other than purely emotional grounds.

I tried a search before my post, but must have missed the one you speak of. I will try again. Thank you.

The one thing that has me hooked on the F355 is the looks of the car and THAT SOUND!! The first time I heard one it had me with my jaw on the ground. But as someone who will drive the car frequently, I am concerned that the car will be in the shop too much to enjoy that engine music. That and reading stories of owners who have oil caps that fly off, valve guide problems, and cars that catch fire with alarming regularity it seems. It is quite encouraging to hear that your car has such a large amount of track use with no real issues. How many miles are on your car? Thank you for your input.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:42 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Meeyatch1,

Nothing quite matches that Ferrari sound, and few here would argue with the looks. I can't comment on Ferrari reliability, but can tell you of my 1996 993TT. It has 65000 miles, and is still on the original turbos and original clutch. I have made changes just to suit my tastes. The car is healthy enough to have seen a couple of recent days at the track without incident (unless you call a flat tire an incident ). I'd love to OWN Ferrari, but I'd rather DRIVE a 993TT.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:51 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Stev, I'm the opposite. I'd love to drive a Ferrari but I'd be terrified of having to OWN it!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:03 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott,

Hmmm... maybe you're closer to the truth. We both agree... the maintenance would make me want to keep it parked. I've heard the the 360s are quite a bit better and easier to work on.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:01 PM
AGC
Racer

I bought a Testarossa and a then a 348 SS, but at the end am VERY HAPPY with my 993TT
Old 10-10-2004, 11:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

" The 360 cannot be compared with these older cars. At least, not in terms of build quality. Mine is even better than my 993 was."
Old 10-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that the 360 is an improvement by Ferrari standards, and I believe belt changes no longer require complete engine extraction. However, the 360 demo which I drove in 2000 at Ferrari of Atlanta was suffering, and it was a brand new car.

Of course, the fact that the driver's seat kept coming loose and flying back under medium acceleration, coupled with the clunky F1 paddle-shift transmission, didn't help to improve my impressions.

Quick Reply: 993 Twin Turbo or F355 Berlinetta