rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by L39E
https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/340765

’97 C4 Cab
Conda Green / Blue
24k miles, $85k, original owner
how do you not include a pic of the car in the ad with this color combo??
Old 01-17-2020, 11:29 AM
L39E
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
how do you not include a pic of the car in the ad with this color combo??
The ad has been deleted, JB 911 posted a pic above (thanks!)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:09 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto...057483262.html

Great looking arena red with full leather, carbon fiber and HB sport seats. Seems like a good deal at the price potentially depending on what has and hasn't been done.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:42 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat

Great looking arena red with full leather, carbon fiber and HB sport seats. Seems like a good deal at the price potentially depending on what has and hasn't been done.

Anyone know this car,? I agree, if the car doesn't need a top end rebuild, new clutch and has a clean car fax, it might be a decent buy. Too bad it is on the side of the country.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwood
I believe that the collectible car market will be just fine and will contact upward as long as the stock market stays strong. The market is screaming up right now and people (who invest in it) are feeling pretty good.
The car market, especially in air cooled Porsche was way over blown. I wouldn't expect to see price appreciation of any significance. Not that these cars should really be considered "investments".
Old 01-20-2020, 08:50 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat

For those whose are interested, I sent the seller an email with these questions:

Can you give me a little history on the car? Do you have service records? Has it been in an accident, or had any paint work? Have you replaced the clutch, steering rack, done a top end rebuild? Do you have any pictures of the car in the sunlight and better pictures of the wear on the seats? Do you have any history on regular maintenance, or "replacement" items, ie. new tires, oil changes, a/c work, etc.

Here is his reply:

My uncle is the second owner of the car. On the Carfax it says that there has been no accidents. Since My uncle has bought it has had no paint work done to it. The clutch will need to be replaced soon. Tires are in good condition. Yes we have oil maintenance records. No worries I understand. It would best if you came and took a look at it in person.

I would strongly urge a good PPI on this car.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwood
I believe that the collectible car market will be just fine and will contact upward as long as the stock market stays strong. The market is screaming up right now and people (who invest in it) are feeling pretty good.
That ship sailed 8 years ago. Its like encouraging people to invest in equities right now.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:31 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by chsu74
That ship sailed 8 years ago. Its like encouraging people to invest in equities right now.
The equity market may be over bought right now but its a much better bet anytime than thinking these cars are good investments you can drive.
The following users liked this post:
L39E (01-20-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:45 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
The equity market may be over bought right now but its a much better bet anytime than thinking these cars are good investments you can drive.
It's tied to equities. When home and 401k levels are both high people feel rich and they'll drop the cash. As to whether prices will drop, you'd have to look back at what happened with collectible cars in 2008 when everything went to hell in a handbasket. Collectible watches didn't drop. It's hard to say. The next dip will make the last one look like a walk in the park.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:53 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
It's tied to equities. When home and 401k levels are both high people feel rich and they'll drop the cash. As to whether prices will drop, you'd have to look back at what happened with collectible cars in 2008 when everything went to hell in a handbasket. Collectible watches didn't drop. It's hard to say. The next dip will make the last one look like a walk in the park.
Collectible anything is loosely tied to the equity markets and economy. That does not make anything in the collectible market a good investment. I find it shocking that people really look at these cars as "Investments". They're not.... unless you're looking for a poor investment. Will they hold their value, sure. Can you get lucky and make some money on them once in a while, sure. If you think you're buying a car that's going to be a "good" investment and still allow you to drive it, you're going to be disappointed with the real return, or just fooling yourself. Collectible watches didn't drop, they just stopped trading, the market in them, which is mostly illiquid to begin with, pretty much totally dried up. If you want one of these cars, and you have the means, absolutely buy one, drive it and enjoy it. Don't waste time plotting your investment strategy with one, plan your next road trip instead.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:54 AM
dantonio
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 125 Posts

Here's my meaningless two cents. I think the 993 market is generally healthy with cars being mostly bought and sold by people who actually use them and to a much lesser extent by speculators. There are definitely some car markets that seem incredibly bubbly, for example modern Porsche GT cars. It seems there are more GT3, GT3RS, GT3 Touring, 911R, GT2RS, Turbo, Turbo S cars on the market than regular Carreras, and they're all being offered by speculators trying to make a quick buck. I expect these prices will come back down to earth soon, as the 911R prices have.

In terms of predicting future values of 993s, I think the values will gradually climb at a rate on par with or slightly higher than inflation. The pool of completely original cars out there that haven't had the big maintenance items addressed (ie. suspension, then eventual engine rebuild) is gradually getting smaller. As a general trend, I believe enthusiasts are buying up most of this stock and putting money into these cars. Eventually there will be fewer and fewer of these completely original cars in the $40k range and the market will be mostly updated cars that people have put that 10-20k into. I think average asking prices will be seen to creep up as the market becomes more and more made up of these updated or partially restored vehicles.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:26 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Eventually there will be fewer and fewer enthusiasts too.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Eventually there will be fewer and fewer enthusiasts too.
Why do you say that. I am seeing a new generation of 20 somethings that can't get enough of vintage cars and just about any air-cooled 911 is on their bucket list. I don't think we will see enough lost interest regarding these cars in most of our lifetimes although I am only around for a few more decades.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by cobalt
Why do you say that. I am seeing a new generation of 20 somethings that can't get enough of vintage cars and just about any air-cooled 911 is on their bucket list. I don't think we will see enough lost interest regarding these cars in most of our lifetimes although I am only around for a few more decades.
Maybe I'm wrong.... Its just an opinion. Eventually they'll move on to something else.... Its just a matter of time.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:40 AM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

You both have valid points. My opinion is that every year there are fewer air cooled 911’s available. Just like the: coin, vintage watch and stamp market (or any other collectible), there are more people now that can afford collectibles while the economy is strong. When the market swings the luxury items will obviously sell off first. Look at what happened to the the second/vacation home market in 08.
That said, I personally (luckily) have done very well in the stock market over the years /knock on wood/ and don’t mind pulling a small percentage of my money out to diversify. I don’t buy “collectibles” as an investment but as a place to park some cash. Hopefully I’ll at least break even one day and in the meantime I’ll drive them for fun. If I don’t see appreciation, my kids can have them.. I have done quite well with vintage Stainless Rolex’s but am not buying anymore as the market is really high and it is full of franken watches. The watches are great as they don’t take up so much garage space!
Now, I am on the hunt to find a perfect, low mile 933tt or a 930 turbo!

Quick Reply: Great American 993s for Sale + Price Discussion Thread