993 Forum 1995-1998

Great American 993s for Sale + Price Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by grgallo
no affiliation, I'm not a 993 owner or expert (my P-cars are an '87 911 Coupe and an '89 951 Coupe) but I am interested in 993s so my question this car looks very good to me
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Porsch...ZZ612O&vxp=mtr

but it's been on e Bay for some time with Reserve Not Met and at a $50K bid, what am I not seeing?
Thanks
It's funny...when I saw this post, and before reading the balance of the thread, I knew which car it would be.

I have met the owner, who is a dealer of a sort. If he claims "one owner" it's before he got it. No idea if it's true. I will say that he finds some interesting cars, this one included.

The person later in the thread who thought $90s knows what he's talking about re rarity of this car. And Jay knows what he's talking about re value, too.

I've considered this car for a while and believe the seller's expectations are high (...into the $90s anyway).

I have seen this seller sell to more reputable dealers who then jack the price even higher, so who knows how it'll turn out

If you are seriously interested, I'd order a good PPI, and be prepared to offer $80s somewhere and perhaps not get it then.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:53 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is the same car I'm thinking of it sold a few months back on a Porsche 911 Facebook page for around 70k.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
It's funny...when I saw this post, and before reading the balance of the thread, I knew which car it would be.

I have met the owner, who is a dealer of a sort. If he claims "one owner" it's before he got it. No idea if it's true. I will say that he finds some interesting cars, this one included.

The person later in the thread who thought $90s knows what he's talking about re rarity of this car. And Jay knows what he's talking about re value, too.

I've considered this car for a while and believe the seller's expectations are high (...into the $90s anyway).

I have seen this seller sell to more reputable dealers who then jack the price even higher, so who knows how it'll turn out

If you are seriously interested, I'd order a good PPI, and be prepared to offer $80s somewhere and perhaps not get it then.
thanks, good advice, car withdrawn again from auction, I assume reserve not met, I'd pursue it if I could afford to go into the 70's-90 range, I can't
Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by L39E
https://www.excellence-mag.com/classifieds/37945

'97 C4S
Silver / black(?)
75k miles, $73k
sounds like two owners and a California car since new

75K Miles for $73K! Personally, I would save save save then buy a Sub 30K mile one in the $90's. Just sayin' and call it a day!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU

I've seen the car, presents very well in person. Color is quite special and no photos or videos can represent it well. Very chameleon-like depending on light conditions, in some cases you can mistake it for a shade of gray (e.g. agate), in others such as bright sun the purple starts popping out. The car is marketed as single owner, but essentially last two sellers have passed title (sold from one to another without registering the car), some states have an issue with that. The buyer bought this from a dealer in FL, who in turn allegedly got it from the original owner. If you google the VIN you can see the old eBay auction, which finished at 105K (but I personally would take that with a grain of salt knowing how ebay works).

One of the things that made the Vesuvio edition special was the two-tone color setup. This being a factory aero package car, it is naturally missing the split two-tone rear grill, as well as the colored wheels. Depending on how you look at it, it may not detract from the value, but if it were me looking to spend that kind of money this would be one of the rare instances I would rather not have the aero kit. At the end of the day, given the mileage this is really a 'driver'. Quite a bit of premium asked for the limited color, so comes down to what one has as a priority. If I had to spend 100K for another widebody aircooled, this likely wouldn't be it. Especially in this current market, a lot of good options at that price bracket.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
If this is the same car I'm thinking of it sold a few months back on a Porsche 911 Facebook page for around 70k.
it is the same car and it was the original owner selling it last Summer...high $70’s.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:45 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

thanks guys, I can't afford this car, the color is intriguing however and sometimes rare colors are supposed to bring more money?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:38 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gbos1
75K Miles for $73K! Personally, I would save save save then buy a Sub 30K mile one in the $90's. Just sayin' and call it a day!
Totally agree...for slightly more money there are much better values to be had, i.e. much lower miles.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
I've seen the car, presents very well in person. Color is quite special and no photos or videos can represent it well. Very chameleon-like depending on light conditions, in some cases you can mistake it for a shade of gray (e.g. agate), in others such as bright sun the purple starts popping out. The car is marketed as single owner, but essentially last two sellers have passed title (sold from one to another without registering the car), some states have an issue with that. The buyer bought this from a dealer in FL, who in turn allegedly got it from the original owner. If you google the VIN you can see the old eBay auction, which finished at 105K (but I personally would take that with a grain of salt knowing how ebay works).

One of the things that made the Vesuvio edition special was the two-tone color setup. This being a factory aero package car, it is naturally missing the split two-tone rear grill, as well as the colored wheels. Depending on how you look at it, it may not detract from the value, but if it were me looking to spend that kind of money this would be one of the rare instances I would rather not have the aero kit. At the end of the day, given the mileage this is really a 'driver'. Quite a bit of premium asked for the limited color, so comes down to what one has as a priority. If I had to spend 100K for another widebody aircooled, this likely wouldn't be it. Especially in this current market, a lot of good options at that price bracket.
That's great info...and hard to argue with your conclusion.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:39 PM
greens
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking black/black 993 with limited slip.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/c...469472744.html
Old 01-23-2018, 03:59 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. slick

Did anyone happen to lay eyes on or have any info on the White Targa that sold in Lewisville Texas?

It was listed and sold on Autotrader at 27.5K. It was a 6 speed with 72K miles. Claimed to have had a PPI done and was in good shape, including a properly functioning Targa top. I have to assume they were lying about condition to be priced that low. I would feel alot better about missing out if I knew it indeed was too good to be true. I've included a screenshot since the ad has come down.

I called the dealer and they said they were hacked! He said if you email them off the site, it would go to the hackers. They had the FBI involved tring to help. The hackers were trying to get money from them to get their website back.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:28 PM
Mr. slick
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoninDen
I called the dealer and they said they were hacked! He said if you email them off the site, it would go to the hackers. They had the FBI involved tring to help. The hackers were trying to get money from them to get their website back.
It's a crazy world we live in. After the same car popped up in Jersey I assumed that is what happened.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:55 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

95 C2 manual on BAT. 109k miles. Nice photos!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-17/
Old 01-24-2018, 08:35 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

^^^ I still can't believe what these High Mileage NB cars are bringing.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:18 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

My brother in law is looking to get into a 993, his budget is set at $50K and he's looking for up to a 50K mile well documented/clear history car. Will require some patience no doubt and prices him out of a WB, but he is willing to consider a tippy. Any leads appreciated.

Quick Reply: Great American 993s for Sale + Price Discussion Thread