Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:37 AM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
What are their weight capacity?
2 tons/pair in aluminum by ANSI standard. I can rate them higher if I introduce steel, but there will be a weight compromise. Thanks for the question!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Foxman
Great and largely innovative concept! I recently purchased a set of jack point jack stands. They're awesome. I can adjust the height of the Jackpoint jack stands a bit with blocks underneath, but your height adjustable legs appear to afford a better solution.

The jack point jack stands however, while pricey, appear to be more solid than the hollow construction in your design. It's not uncommon for a floor jack to drop quicker than expected, and even a two ton jack can fail if a one ton load is dropped too quickly. And unlike the Jackpoint stand there's a potential for just one of the four legs to take the brunt of the load and fail. Just wondering if all of this has been thought through and fully tested...
I appreciate the compliment! The legs are actually solid metal, and there are two per stand. To meet ANSI standards, each stand must be able to sustain 1.5 times the recommended load of the entire pair. For my lightweight aluminum version rated at 2 tons/pair, a single stand would have to sustain 3 tons, roughly 6000 lbs. We even pushed that by another 500 lbs to reach 6500 lbs per stand. By the way, this is using a friction coefficient of 0.3 which you can't really replicate in real life, unless you were maybe jacking the car on an oil covered piece of glass. So depending on the weight of your car, to hit the top of the jack with enough force to exceed 3.25 tons you would most likely have to drop it from a height exceeding the maximum height of your jack, and that's definitely not something I suggest doing with any jack stand.

In addition to that testing, we also wanted to see what would happen under unusual strains or gross misuse. We called it the "misuse factor" and set a goal of hitting a factor of 2 per stand which we accomplished. With that same 0.3 friction coefficient in place, we tested to see how the stands would hold if they came under load unevenly (tilted at an angle) with only two feet making contact with the surface to simulate what would happen if it came down on an uneven surface of a broken garage floor or a tool being left carelessly underneath the stand, and we easily met that factor of 2.

I don't know of any other jack stand designs that have been tested like this, and we believe it's a very solid design with a respectable load rating, even though the aluminum version only weighs in at round 23 lbs per pair.

Please understand also that I don't have a production version to directly compare to what's already being sold out there, as these are just prototypes, but I believe you will be very impressed with the production version when it makes its debut.

Thanks again for the question!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 AM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by alcanada
Like it, like it a lot and would buy a set if they were for sale. I see a few comments on the pin, definitely over design it even though you might not need it. It gives a sense of security for fraction of the cost. Might consider a larger gap between the bottom of the car and the horizontal bar for a wrench to get at hidden screws or bolts. Nice to have them light and durable, aluminum or carbon fiber is good. Lastly looks and finish. I think most people would pay more for those, you are talking to the Porsche crowd.
Great suggestions, thank you! Having looked at this from the point of view of the customer as well, I've always put safety as the top priority, but as you pointed out it should visually exude that sense of security and quality/finish too. All taken into account, and much appreciated!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Subscribed, this looks very interesting.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:06 AM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by steved0x
Subscribed, this looks very interesting.
Thank you!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:21 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent idea!
Old 06-15-2016, 01:11 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry if I missed it, but I couldn't find height numbers. Can you list height adjustability? Great product.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
I appreciate the compliment! The legs are actually solid metal, and there are two per stand. To meet ANSI standards, each stand must be able to sustain 1.5 times the recommended load of the entire pair. For my lightweight aluminum version rated at 2 tons/pair, a single stand would have to sustain 3 tons, roughly 6000 lbs. We even pushed that by another 500 lbs to reach 6500 lbs per stand. By the way, this is using a friction coefficient of 0.3 which you can't really replicate in real life, unless you were maybe jacking the car on an oil covered piece of glass. So depending on the weight of your car, to hit the top of the jack with enough force to exceed 3.25 tons you would most likely have to drop it from a height exceeding the maximum height of your jack, and that's definitely not something I suggest doing with any jack stand.

I don't know of any other jack stand designs that have been tested like this, and we believe it's a very solid design with a respectable load rating, even though the aluminum version only weighs in at round 23 lbs per pair.

Thanks again for the question!
All good responses, thanks - I'm in for a set when these go to market!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by vincer77
Excellent idea!
Much appreciated!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ickyne
Looks like a great idea. The ability to adjust the height of it makes it different from other options I've seen.

Thank you so much!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:08 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Sorry if I missed it, but I couldn't find height numbers. Can you list height adjustability? Great product.
Thank you! The height of the current prototypes ranges from 11" to just over 15", but the production model may have an even wider range.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:09 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Foxman
All good responses, thanks - I'm in for a set when these go to market!
Excellent! Thank you again!
Old 06-15-2016, 06:45 PM
jansan946
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding!

I would use a set of four to winter store my 993 and prevent flat spotting the tires.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jansan946
Outstanding!

I would use a set of four to winter store my 993 and prevent flat spotting the tires.
I greatly appreciate that, and hope to have them on the market before then
Old 06-15-2016, 07:09 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it's a great idea. I just spent $1,300 on a quick jack lift system to get basically the same benefits.

And I still don't totally trust it so I end up putting 4 jack stands under the platform for added safety.

The only additional benefit of the lift over your product is the ability to lift all 4 corners of the car simultaneously which was/is a concern for my F355. It seems those cars commonly suffer from cracking at the bases of the flying buttresses which is exacerbated by uneven lifting.

However yours has many additional benefits such as true portability, no need for power source, easier set up, more locking height positions and way cheaper cost.

I would definitely be a buyer at $150/pair $250-$275 for 4

I think you should reconsider the name to something with more universal appeal and that communicates the main benefit.

Rennjacks is too Porsche centric. You want to appeal a wider spectrum.

I happen to be in the automotive business and I think this product has commercial applications as well so keep that in mind.

I'd stay out of the Walmart's of the world because I think it would dilute the "professional grade" image you want.

Go through the more focused tool distributors.

Quick Reply: In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea...