Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 04:04 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
This looks like a very nice solution to me, and I would certainly be interested.

I'm sure there is a practical limit, but I would suggest making the reach as high as possible. (Which you have likely already done.)

Best of luck!
Thank you so much! There may be a bit of give and take in expanding the height range, but it can be done. I'll keep the forum posted
Old 06-13-2016, 04:11 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dryfly57
Love the design and the functionality. Simple but well thought out.
I personally would love to see your jack stands increase height your able to raise the car. I'm a buyer
I greatly appreciate that! I believe we can increase the maximum height in the production model, and we'll be working on that. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Great idea! I just wonder if the adapter part is to tall for lowered vehicles. I know with my current jack and height of vehicle it wouldn't clear. A low profile jack like you have in the video would be necessary. Just something to think about. Not all people will have the low profile jack.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:37 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 911F1
Great idea! I just wonder if the adapter part is to tall for lowered vehicles. I know with my current jack and height of vehicle it wouldn't clear. A low profile jack like you have in the video would be necessary. Just something to think about. Not all people will have the low profile jack.
Thank you so much for the compliment and the input! I agree, clearance might be an issue with some vehicles which are lowered without the use of a low profile jack. If I remember correctly I paid about $70 for the jack in the video, so I'm hoping that won't be too prohibitive for anyone with both a lowered vehicle and standard profile jack that wants to make the transition to utilize the benefits of the stands.

However, in cases where that may not be an option due to the cost of purchasing a new jack, there is an easy workaround, ie lifting the car with the jack by itself, then laying a piece of 2x4 flatly under the tire nearest the jack to give you that extra clearance, lowering, then lifting again this time with the center piece in place on the jack.

Ideally I would like the stands to accommodate as wide a range of users as possible without having to use the above method, and I have another patent pending on an alternate center piece that is specific to the situation you described, so if there's enough demand for it I may offer it as either an alternative or an add-on, but so far I've found that in most cases it hasn't been necessary.

Thank you for expressing that concern, and best regards!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:17 PM
Soup
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Brilliant idea.

My only thought would be perhaps adding some sort of c-clip to the end of the pins. Likely unnecessary as they wouldn't move under load, but could shift or slide out with constant lower/raising height changes?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Soup
Brilliant idea.

My only thought would be perhaps adding some sort of c-clip to the end of the pins. Likely unnecessary as they wouldn't move under load, but could shift or slide out with constant lower/raising height changes?
I greatly appreciate the compliment and suggestion about the pins! I'll take a look at that c-clip option. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:38 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

How about a detent pin?
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2016, 03:52 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Speaking of the pins, is it safe to assume you've included pin shear strength in the engineering calculations?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CarreraX
How about a detent pin?
Yes, those have actually been the preferred pins. Very convenient and held firm. There was some concern initially that the ball would waller out the holes over time, but after hundreds of actual testing that wasn't the case in the slightest. I'm always open to suggestions though. Thanks and best regards!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,409 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Will the, or can the, feet to be covered with rubber or a nylon glide so we don't scratch our epoxy floors?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:42 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Speaking of the pins, is it safe to assume you've included pin shear strength in the engineering calculations?
I really appreciate that question particularly because it brings up a viable concern others may have as well!

The shear strength of the pins was absolutely included in the calculations. Here's a quick rundown on the pins we've been using: 1/4" steel and each is in double sheer and capable of sustaining up to 19Kn (1.9 metric tons of force per pin). Each pin will only need to bear half the weight of whatever each stand is supporting, so you would have to load 4 metric tons on EACH stand before you approach pin failure. Considering that the stands are rated to 2 tons/pair, that gives you a safety factor of 4 for each pin.

Again, thanks so much for bringing that up!

Last edited by gyrfalcon; 06-14-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:54 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Will the, or can the, feet to be covered with rubber or a nylon glide so we don't scratch our epoxy floors?
I have several designs on stands with various types of footings and coatings, but as is the bottoms of the bases are actually slightly rounded off as you can see at the 40 second mark in the video. I've dropped the jack a bit too hard on occasion with the stand attached, and there was not any marring to smooth cement floors, but I will look further into doing something for epoxy floors as well. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,079 Posts

What are their weight capacity?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 403 Posts

Great and largely innovative concept! I recently purchased a set of jack point jack stands. They're awesome. I can adjust the height of the Jackpoint jack stands a bit with blocks underneath, but your height adjustable legs appear to afford a better solution.

The jack point jack stands however, while pricey, appear to be more solid than the hollow construction in your design. It's not uncommon for a floor jack to drop quicker than expected, and even a two ton jack can fail if a one ton load is dropped too quickly. And unlike the Jackpoint stand there's a potential for just one of the four legs to take the brunt of the load and fail. Just wondering if all of this has been thought through and fully tested...
Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 AM
alcanada
Instructor

Like it, like it a lot and would buy a set if they were for sale. I see a few comments on the pin, definitely over design it even though you might not need it. It gives a sense of security for fraction of the cost. Might consider a larger gap between the bottom of the car and the horizontal bar for a wrench to get at hidden screws or bolts. Nice to have them light and durable, aluminum or carbon fiber is good. Lastly looks and finish. I think most people would pay more for those, you are talking to the Porsche crowd.

Quick Reply: In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea...