Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which if any of the inserts would you prefer?
The insert to be glued in place?
3.67%
The insert to be bolted to the car, no glue required?
81.65%
I like the bumperettes the way they are!
14.68%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Who is interested in Bumperette Delete inserts? Poll.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:07 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Who is interested in Bumperette Delete inserts? Poll.

Howdy North American Rennlisters.

I'm working on a project whereby I will produce specially shaped inserts which when painted will fill the hole created when Porsche fitted the bumperettes at the front of the car on NA cars. It was a project inspired by a personal project by another Rennlister which got me thinking.

What you are left with after fitting these inserts and the longer European side lights is a much cleaner look than original but without the cost of having to have the bumper filled and then repainted. Obviously, if you are handy you may have already removed your front bumperettes and filled your holes in and none of this applies to you.

The desire is to go from...

To....

...as easliy as possible.

The two competing designs are.....

An insert glued to fill the holes in the bumper.

Or.....

A more involved piece that uses the top bolt from how the bumperettes are currently secured in place to install.

What I'm trying to get is a sense of general interest. The parts aren't ready for the community just yet but they should be within the next couple of months if all goes well.
They would probably be in the region of $100 a set, hard to say right now but hopefully they wouldn't be much more expensive.
Hopefully, this poll will answer some questions as to how many sets I'd need to produce if all demand was met and which of the two designs would be most preferred.
The amount or lack of interest will dictate how I proceed. A couple of sets and I can get a friend to print them. A few dozen and I will buy a 3D printer and print them myself. More than that I will have to explore other means to fill demand.

This is a 95% of the way solution. While the holes seem to be the same size from car to car, their exact placement seems to vary slight across cars and even from the drivers to passengers side. The final finishing will be up to you.

When it come down to it, payment would be in advance and all orders would be filled in the order in which payment was received.

I intend to fill demand to the set and no more. When I am happy with the parts and feel they are ready for production I will take orders and produce exactly that amount of units. If at some stage in the future there is demand for additional runs, I will consider producing more but after the first run it may be a long-infinite time before another batch are produced.

So if you could fill the poll at the top of the page I would greatly appreciate it.

Gmorat.

P.S If you want to read the original thread.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-removal.html

Last edited by gmorat; 03-09-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Formatting problem
Old 03-08-2016, 11:34 PM
423423dsa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your work on this! Very cool!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

If the ratio's stay the same for the full mounted insert vs the glue in insert then I am stopping all work on the latter. Currently, it's a 15:1 ratio. If somebody were to want the glued in version, potentially I could have one printed specially OR the get the full piece and just Dremel odd the mounting base.

G
Old 03-09-2016, 09:01 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm potentially interested in a set of the inserts. I'm in Raleigh and would be willing to offer my C2 as a "test bed" if needed, regardless.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:37 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
I'm potentially interested in a set of the inserts. I'm in Raleigh and would be willing to offer my C2 as a "test bed" if needed, regardless.
Hopefully, I will have testable inserts early next week and I'd love to test them on a local car.

G
Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
Hopefully, I will have testable inserts early next week and I'd love to test them on a local car.

G
Just let me know. I'll be happy to help if I can!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:14 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice work G.

Slightly off topic but what are those tall flowering shrubs along your driveway?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB 911
Nice work G.

Slightly off topic but what are those tall flowering shrubs along your driveway?
Thanks.

They are Camelia's I believe.

G
Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow quite stunning I'm sure on a pretty day in full bloom.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:36 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Not looking good for the pure insert crowd! (of 2).

G
Old 03-09-2016, 05:31 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
Not looking good for the pure insert crowd! (of 2).

G
Does not matter. The bolted solution is still an upgrade and I would be in for that, too.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:35 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I would be interested. Thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 07:19 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Does not matter. The bolted solution is still an upgrade and I would be in for that, too.
My hope is that I may be able to print small numbers of what is clearly the least popular choice or Dremel off the base from the full piece as this is the only real difference between the two of them.

G
Old 03-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Ramadox
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be in, and would prefer the nonglue versions. Since you already have the shape, It would be nice if you could upload the 3d renderings, that way members with access to 3d printers could have them printed and worked on. Experimenting this way may help us improve the end design, and also get us to a lower production cost.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ramadox
I would be in, and would prefer the nonglue versions. Since you already have the shape, It would be nice if you could upload the 3d renderings, that way members with access to 3d printers could have them printed and worked on. Experimenting this way may help us improve the end design, and also get us to a lower production cost.
Just click on the poll at the top of the thread to show a preference for which if any you would prefer if you haven't already.

The 3D file was produced in collaboration with a friend on mine, so its not mine to give away.

G

Quick Reply: Who is interested in Bumperette Delete inserts? Poll.