Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which if any of the inserts would you prefer?
The insert to be glued in place?
3.67%
The insert to be bolted to the car, no glue required?
81.65%
I like the bumperettes the way they are!
14.68%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Who is interested in Bumperette Delete inserts? Poll.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 PM
tougu
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! I would be interested. And yes, bolt in please...
Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by tougu
Nice! I would be interested. And yes, bolt in please...
Great, make sure you click the poll at the top of the first page so that I get the best information I need to move forward with manufacturing.

Much appreciated.

G
Old 03-10-2016, 07:04 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've gone back and forth over pure delete of these for years. Instead of modifying my bumper I had my shop paint the fronts and backs. I'm 50/50 on the results - the rears look "natural" in Red, the fronts not so much.

I've been trying to find this type of "plug" for a long time and have an observation from watching the process unfold over the years. It seems the more "perfect" you try to make it the more it becomes obvious it's not. Meaning, if you purposely let it project slightly, whether in body color or black, the result might be pretty good. Most of the offense is covered by the ROW corners... Bolted of course.
Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2016, 07:39 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
I've gone back and forth over pure delete of these for years. Instead of modifying my bumper I had my shop paint the fronts and backs. I'm 50/50 on the results - the rears look "natural" in Red, the fronts not so much.
The fronts painted are tough for me and even more so in Polar Silver. My solution will never look perfect so to speak. Upon close inspection, you will see a panel with a light edge. I don't know if it will project slightly as the intent was that people will sand it down to be at the same level as the bumper if there is a projection on one side or the other.

Anyway, the bumperettes were a personal hate for me. A member here had produced a modeled in place resin cast and I thought that was genius. BUT, I got the last of the useful casts from him as each time the mould is used it loses accuracy and detail. I wanted something that worked along the same lines but could be produced again and again with complete accuracy. There's nothing to say that you couldn't build up the visible insert rather than reduce it where needed.

G
Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT

I've been trying to find this type of "plug" for a long time and have an observation from watching the process unfold over the years. It seems the more "perfect" you try to make it the more it becomes obvious it's not. Meaning, if you purposely let it project slightly, whether in body color or black, the result might be pretty good. Most of the offense is covered by the ROW corners... Bolted of course.
I've actually been thinking this route as well. My car is black, so the bumper ***** aren't as much a distraction for me as if I had a contrasting color, like white or silver. So I think when I get ready to have the road rash touched up, I'll just have them painted.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sand_man
I've actually been thinking this route as well. My car is black, so the bumper ***** aren't as much a distraction for me as if I had a contrasting color, like white or silver. So I think when I get ready to have the road rash touched up, I'll just have them painted.
'

The cost of having them painted would be more than the cost of painting the visible part of the tab for these parts. Then again, you still have to buy euro lenses.

Anyway, it's a personal preference. I'm European and HATE the bumperettes on the front. They are an abomination in my eyes. I had the bumperettes painted on the rear. They don't bother me at all. double standards.

It's good to have options though.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:07 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Gmorat - hats off to you for attempting this. Don't let my idea sidetrack you...

With the assumption that a perfect fit is impossible, given the variation across cars, would a plug that has a similar lip as the bumperette, only much thinner, still be an improvement?

I'm thinking something like the B5 Audi headlight washers. You can see that they are not flush with the bumper cover, but ride above it. If a plug was thin enough, with just the right edge radius, it could ride above the bumper cover seamlessly and still be an improvement over the relatively huge bumperette.

Just an idea from a guy that doesn't really mind the bumperettes

Old 03-10-2016, 11:35 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

I think finding a shape that goes over the hole but stays close to the bumper-cover regardless of the position of the hole would be as or more difficult. The other issue is that the bumperette hole is situated on the edge of the bumpercover so there's no good place to let it transition to nothing.

I have to say though, even if it were 10 times easier than this piece, at this stage I am officially close to done! I'll be happy to arrange for the additional pairs to be printed and hopefully never have to think about this again for at least as long as it takes to let people decide they want another batch.

G.

Originally Posted by mpruden
Gmorat - hats off to you for attempting this. Don't let my idea sidetrack you...

With the assumption that a perfect fit is impossible, given the variation across cars, would a plug that has a similar lip as the bumperette, only much thinner, still be an improvement?

I'm thinking something like the B5 Audi headlight washers. You can see that they are not flush with the bumper cover, but ride above it. If a plug was thin enough, with just the right edge radius, it could ride above the bumper cover seamlessly and still be an improvement over the relatively huge bumperette.

Just an idea from a guy that doesn't really mind the bumperettes

Old 03-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Great idea. I voted for bolt-in. You might be able to shave the back of the mounting base to aid in fitment.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:43 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Great idea. I voted for bolt-in. You might be able to shave the back of the mounting base to aid in fitment.
Absolutely, or add washers to act as spacers if it needs to come further out a bit.

Like I said, it's a 95% solution.

G
Old 03-10-2016, 02:54 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like there is a market ... GET AFTER IT
Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Looks like there is a market ... GET AFTER IT
I'll plan my retirement on it! Demand will never end! They built infinite cars, right!?
Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested. Please PM me when you have available kits.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jg291446
I'm interested. Please PM me when you have available kits.
Just to be clear, I will never have kits 'available' as such. I will take orders for kits, people will pay in advance for the kits and I will have them produced. I will then package and ship them to everybody who ordered and paid.

People will receive them, modify them slightly as needed, sand, prime, paint, clear-coat and then install them.

I never envision a situation where I will have a stock of kits ready to ship for orders that haven't yet been placed.

If in the future there is enough demand, I will collect orders and payment just prior to placing an additional order. May never happen or maybe there's demand for an additional 50 sets a week!

As things stand at the moment I'm talking to a fabricators to print in the region of 50+ copies, but this may go up or down depending on who actually ends up paying. Once I'm happy with the test prints and am ready to actually place the order I will ask people to PM me and I will reply with information on how to place an actual order.

It's a lock at this stage that I will be only offering the bolt in version with a 25:1 ratio of preference against the glued in piece.

G
Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 411 Likes on 257 Posts

Interested. The slightly raised look on the Audi seems ok.

/

Quick Reply: Who is interested in Bumperette Delete inserts? Poll.