Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which if any of the inserts would you prefer?
The insert to be glued in place?
3.67%
The insert to be bolted to the car, no glue required?
81.65%
I like the bumperettes the way they are!
14.68%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Who is interested in Bumperette Delete inserts? Poll.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:26 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Soooooo.....

We tested the inserts and the mounted pieces on another 993.

The inserts were a MUCH tighter fit than in my car and it's bumpercover seemed to be about 3.5mm thick vs the 3mm that mine is.

The ridge pieces on the base were incredibly tight as well so for that car, the pieces that fit the best were the mounted pieces without the ridge. Again, they'll need to be finished on a per car basis but it will be a 90% solution.

Another takeaway was that the foglight ability to be removed with the mounted piece in place was hindered so this next version has a couple of changes.....

1. The ridge has been reduced down by a 1/3 of its width all around the trim.
2. The base has been modified to remove a section just below where the diagonal buttress joins the base to allow the foglight to be removed with this in place.

I think the ridge allows people more options. If they want an insert, cut off the base. If it allows like it does on my car, leave the top ridge but remove the side ones etc.

Thoughts?

G

Old 03-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm definitely in for a set of the bolt-in!

Great work!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
I'm definitely in for a set of the bolt-in!

Great work!
Test parts are on their way to me, and then I know for a fact there will be another iteration based on some of the data I learned over the weekend. I'm hoping that this will happen by mid-week, whereupon I will probably see the revised parts by the beginning of next.

If they work out, we shall be ready to proceed to the next step.

G
Old 03-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd leave the ridge in place, as it's easy for the end user to modify to meet their needs.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
I'd leave the ridge in place, as it's easy for the end user to modify to meet their needs.
The full-width ridge or the newly modified version with the ridge reduced down by a third?

I think the reduced one is cleaner and has more chance of fitting behind the bumper.

The latest file also modify's the shape of the base for the foglight folks of which I'm not one so it was great to test on another 993 at the weekend.

G
Old 03-21-2016, 07:07 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interested if which ever of the 2 types is the best fit. Bolt on sounds easier but would rather have the better fit in the end so if that means glue in then so be it. Might be a little more work but likely worth it in the end.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:38 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RBP
Interested if which ever of the 2 types is the best fit. Bolt on sounds easier but would rather have the better fit in the end so if that means glue in then so be it. Might be a little more work but likely worth it in the end.
Unless you take the piece with the base and cut it off yourself, then you won't have the option I'm afraid as there just isn't the demand for the inserts to justify doing a run.

To make sure this is possible I will be printing these as solid pieces in key locations so that they can be cut without exposing in-fill.

Also, better fit is relative. The inserts have to be held in on my car yet were so tight on another 993 that you almost didn't need glue.

These are a means to an end, not the finished article.

G
Old 03-21-2016, 10:48 PM
dlinzy993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me IN, I wonder though, does anyone have the contact info for bumperplugs ? It would be cool to ship to him since he matched my midnight blue to a TEE.

Or if anyone is doing a mass painting in Midnight Blue let me know, it'll be Pennies to do 3 or 4 sets vs. 1.

Denny N Dallas
Old 03-21-2016, 11:48 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dlinzy993
Count me IN, I wonder though, does anyone have the contact info for bumperplugs ? It would be cool to ship to him since he matched my midnight blue to a TEE.

Or if anyone is doing a mass painting in Midnight Blue let me know, it'll be Pennies to do 3 or 4 sets vs. 1.

Denny N Dallas
You can't get these painted until after you modify them to fit your car. Sending a batch of them to get painted to BumperPlugs before fitting will just lead to heartache when you have to sand down a bit or fill in a bit because of the variance for each vehicle.

Technically, you could fit them and then group up to have them painted but only AFTER they are modified.

The reality is that painting 2 square inches should be relatively easy and can be done at home.

G
Old 03-22-2016, 01:44 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
The full-width ridge or the newly modified version with the ridge reduced down by a third?

I think the reduced one is cleaner and has more chance of fitting behind the bumper.

The latest file also modify's the shape of the base for the foglight folks of which I'm not one so it was great to test on another 993 at the weekend.

G
The reduced one, since it sounds to me like it'd fit a wider range of cars.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:20 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

I think that for the moment I'm not going to print more than 100 sets as I don't think we'll get to 150.

Regardless, that's a broad base of people to give any further feedback for future possible changes if ever there was further demand.

All I can say is, get yer sandpaper, bondo, primer, paint and clearcoat ready cos this is going to be coming in relatively soon I hope.

Needless to say there have been setbacks. The need for a solid piece has added to the costs as has the need for hi-res hi-quality printing. I've approached a PA about dealing with the packaging and postage and he seems game but we'll see what happens when the reality of shipping up to 100 sets of these becomes a reality.

The next test pieces arrive tomorrow and revisions will be submitted before the end of the week. Wednesday week I hope to be able to open the order books.

All in all, I can see a run on Euro lights within the next couple of weeks.

G
Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

I sanded and primed the shapeways plugs I had last night and they are NEVER going to be a viable option. They are grainy and the result was less than desirable. At one stage I was contemplating putting the inserts on Shapeways for people who didn't want to use the full pieces(or cut them down) but that isn't going to happen now.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:23 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xgfjygi
Hopefully, I will have testable inserts early next week and I'd love to test them on a local car.

??
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmorat
??
It's a "spambot". See this kinda stuff all the time over on "the bird"
Old 03-23-2016, 10:34 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sand_man
It's a "spambot". See this kinda stuff all the time over on "the bird"
Wow! That is just weird!

Quick Reply: Who is interested in Bumperette Delete inserts? Poll.