Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumperette removal.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts

Can you post links to each version of the Shapeways parts? I'd like to print out a couple sets, maybe be able to give you some more data points to work from.

I like the bolt-in version, because it's the most reversable once it's fitted/completed.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:49 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
Can you post links to each version of the Shapeways parts? I'd like to print out a couple sets, maybe be able to give you some more data points to work from.

I like the bolt-in version, because it's the most reversable once it's fitted/completed.
Thanks for the offer but I'm going to test them on local cars so that I can see and feel how they fit in the flesh. If I can find something that will get everybody 95%+ of the way there then I will make arrangements for either them being available on Shapeways or producing them myself if it turns out that Shapeways materials aren't suitable.

G
Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

This is the last iteration I'm going to test. A little of column A and a little of column B

Half base, big holes and a ridge to help hold it in place as well as block any gaps between the trim face and the bumper.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:58 AM
Fiascoj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're doing good work gmorat! The last image you shared looks promising.

How does the shapeways material stand up to heat and water?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'll know more in a couple of weeks when I get my test prints back for fitting.

As to which one makes the cut, I don't know at this stage. Maybe I'll end up offering two types, the pure insert and the half base version with the extruded ridge around the visible trim.

Shapeways is fine for heat, they're good for up to 180 degrees but the material is porous so I'll have to test some primers to see if they can be made suitable.

If not there are only two choices.

1. People pre-order and pre-pay and when I have enough orders I get an ABS batch made to keep the cost down as much as possible. If only a few people want sets then this isn't realistic.

2. I buy a 3D printer and make them slowly but surely, filling demand in the order they are recieved and paid for. If demand is heavy then this isn't realistic.

No idea really, I know a few people have expressed interest in a set when they're ready. Maybe I'll start another thread with a survey on which part people prefer. 50/50 and I'll make both I assume.

Just to be clear, the two favored designs....

G
Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM
cvjh
1st Gear

So the intent is to use these 'filler' pieces with the longer, European lenses?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:08 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvjh

Yus....

Old 03-08-2016, 04:04 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in How will you contact us?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:49 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red67vert
I'm in How will you contact us?
When I get the pieces and figure out what'll work I'll set up a different thread and people can PM me at that stage. No point doing anything until I'm 100% certain I can deliver on this. Currently at 70% certainty!

G
Old 03-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Fiascoj
Intermediate

gmorat, in your experience, were the sizes of the visible holes consistent? If so, have you considered attaching the cover to the extended Euro lights? You could use a 2-part plastic weld to secure it and the alignment may be better than connecting to the bumperette bolts.

If you decide to share your part files, please let me know. My work gives me access to PLA MakerBots, an ABS Alfina and a CF / Fiberglass / Kevlar-reenforced MarkForged printer. I want to try this mod myself but I'm demoralized by the amount of 3D shaping work needed to get a good fit.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:18 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fiascoj
gmorat, in your experience, were the sizes of the visible holes consistent? If so, have you considered attaching the cover to the extended Euro lights? You could use a 2-part plastic weld to secure it and the alignment may be better than connecting to the bumperette bolts.

If you decide to share your part files, please let me know. My work gives me access to PLA MakerBots, an ABS Alfina and a CF / Fiberglass / Kevlar-reenforced MarkForged printer. I want to try this mod myself but I'm demoralized by the amount of 3D shaping work needed to get a good fit.
While the shape of the hole seems consistent, it's position varies from car to car and from left side to right side. Unfortunately, there just has to be wiggle room in the design.

While I won't be making the 3D files available, I will produce small numbers of the parts for the rennlist community if there is demand.

Here is the link to the thread with the poll on which design would be most desired.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...erts-poll.html
Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

One of the takeaways from the poll is that the insert with base is vastly more popular than the pure insert which needs to be glued in place.

You live and you learn.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:08 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

From the thread where I polled to check about possible demand, it looks like I will be making somewhere in the region of 70 sets of the mounted insert version.

I will be taking orders hopefully by the middle of next week and once the orders are in it will take a few days to produce, a few days to be shipped to me and then a few days for me to organize for somebody to ship them out to all paid for orders(not me, I have a job that I like already, one of the PA's here hopefully will be interested in a little extra cash). It will then take at least a few days to get to you guys. So close!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:37 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Yes.

Originally Posted by GVJGHI
Old 03-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think we owe the respect of having these parts named after you. Similar for LPMM, Fisters, Walrods, etc.

How about "Gmorats" or "Gmorat Plugs"?

I will be buying a set.

Quick Reply: Bumperette removal.